996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another 996 down

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Wondering, would the Guardian have detected the pre catastrophic event and then possibly saved the engine or at least minimize the damage ?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your misfortune......please keep us posted on the replacement process and when you have your foot back into it....
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The CPO is the cheapest route and you'll be back driving but there is no assurance that the engine won't have the same thing happen to it later on. There all just ticking time bombs, not even the M96's in the 997 are immune.
My thinking is that for 6 k more you'll get a engine that will last much longer, has better cooling, has a triple row IMS and shaft retrofit and the displacement increase guarantees more hp. All that for only 5-6k more. Whats the difference on a 5-6k more loan at the end of the day, probably a coffee a day?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Gator, I am in the lab today profiling camshafts, so I'll call you on my way home this evening.

I am not trying to talk you out of the engine; I am trying to ensure that you understand exactly what is being purchased and that your expectation level is realistic for it. I have learned that hasty decisions account for most disappointment and over-expectation in this world; so slow down and consider the choices wisely.

We take pride in working with each broken car like it was our own and thats been key to the success of my entire engine program. We are very careful when selling any product and service that features a lower price than our standard cost of admission because thats a breeding ground for issues.

Each engine that leaves these doors has the possibility of becoming a much greater liability than anything else. All it takes is one.

My thinking is that for 6 k more you'll get a engine that will last much longer, has better cooling, has a triple row IMS and shaft retrofit and the displacement increase guarantees more hp. All that for only 5-6k more. Whats the difference on a 5-6k more loan at the end of the day, probably a coffee a day?
That mindset is shared by many, many others that have engine failures that most of you here would believe. We are currently booked solid through June of next year for full reconstructions with cars here from 18 states currently and 4 more inbound. The CPO engine is something I've had for 2-3 months after taking the initiative to prepare it for someone like Gator who didn't wish to spend 18K, over a dozen people so far that could have afforded it chose not to purchase it and to wait their turn for a full reconstruction.

Of all those cars that are seeing the fully reconstructed engines only two of them are actually worth more than the 18.5K engine cost. Those people love their cars, which is the requirement for spending more on the engine than the car is worth. Nothing new there, years ago we were creating 10,000.00 engines for 914s that weren't worth 4K bucks.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We are all good Jake. Lots of emotion the past two days. A good nights sleep and a clear head today only reaffirms what the best course of action is for my particular car. Give me a shout tonight and thanks for your patience!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
petonic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As another wise poster on this forum said, "Hey, it's only money. You'll always make more."

Sad to hear about your loss, but happy to hear that there's a path forward.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it all works out financially, seems you will be getting a better motor in the end.

I remember seeing a video - a Porsche 993 infomercial. They say they ran the 993's all day, at red-line, to test the motors.

Wonder if they did that for our cars??
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Im going to have to agree with jumper. Since the car needs a motor why not throw a bored out 3.6 or 3.8 in there with forged pistons, nikasil cylinders and a triple row bearing. This is the course I took and now my car is pushing 300 tq rear wheels. I have about 7000 street and track miles on my rebuild and car is running like a champ. No more pointbys for 996 GT3s
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Im going to have to agree with jumper. Since the car needs a motor why not throw a bored out 3.6 or 3.8 in there with forged pistons, nikasil cylinders and a triple row bearing. This is the course I took and now my car is pushing 300 tq rear wheels. I have about 7000 street and track miles on my rebuild and car is running like a champ. No more pointbys for 996 GT3s
And how much did that cost?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000

The arm he used to use for point by's :-)

m
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Imo000
Doesn't matter what it cost. If you assume that the car is worth $20,000 in good running condition, and the completely rebuilt engine installed is $20,000 more, you are still in for $20-30,000 LESS than it would take to get into a 2009 Carrera 2 (997.2) or newer, in order to completely not have the problem, and get a remaining year of warranty.

And not one in a thousand people knows the difference between any year 911. If it is shiny they think it is brand new. Period. If your gonna drive it a lot, keep what you have and deal with the issues as they arise.

If you are going to try to make a "business case" for owning a 996 or any other Porsche, then you should have bought a Camry.

And NEVER buy a boat! LOL!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Doesn't matter what it cost. If you assume that the car is worth $20,000 in good running condition, and the completely rebuilt engine installed is $20,000 more, you are still in for $20-30,000 LESS than it would take to get into a 2009 Carrera 2 (997.2) or newer, in order to completely not have the problem, and get a remaining year of warranty.

And not one in a thousand people knows the difference between any year 911. If it is shiny they think it is brand new. Period. If your gonna drive it a lot, keep what you have and deal with the issues as they arise.

If you are going to try to make a "business case" for owning a 996 or any other Porsche, then you should have bought a Camry.

That's nice but I wasn't asking you.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

My 18k engine takes a 3.4 to a 3.6 or a 3.6 to a 3.8 as standard practice. With LN Engineering we were the first in this country to offer a big bore engine and to date it's still the most developed product available. I just returned from a 6,788 mile trip testing our Generation 3 engine all te way to Canada and back equipped with the IMS Solution.
The Gen3 technology allows a Nikisil bore and engine combination that suppers a 3.9 liter engine from the 3.4 base engine or 4.2 liters from the 3.6 and 3.8 liter foundations. This is our combo of internals from scratch. The biggest hurdle in this development hasn't been just making the engine big but more importantly maintaining a broad power band which has taken exceptional development in regard to cylinder head and intake modifications. Building an engine this big, keeping it street able enough to support daily driving but also rev 8k RPM is a huge undertaking. Gen3 engines are being released after the new year:-)

Anyway, Gator went for the engine and I wouldn't allow him to make a hasty decision. We'll be posting the process on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/fixabrokensix
He wanted the engine a lot more than I wanted to sell it to him, which seems to blow people's minds on a routine basis :-) Hell, I got my best paycheck possible today when we saved an engine that was deemed a total loss by a Porsche dealership. In less than 4 hours we saved someone well over 14k bucks and had the car back on the road again. Nothing is better than that at my level. Nothing.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub

Funny thing is that a nicely decked out Camry or Accord will cost more then an engine rebuild and at the end of the day your driving a POS.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

4 months & 14K.

Quick Reply: Another 996 down