Sponsored by:

Another 996 down

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another 996 down

Well, it happened to me last night. Driving home from the gym, 35 mph and whammo, total loss of power. There was no eerie sounds or warnings. No CEL and no codes with my OBD reader (it was worth a shot). I coasted into a parking lot and sulked. I was hoping it was an electrical issue and went to bed with that dream. First thing in the morning, i had the car towed home. I tried turning the crank and it didnt budge one bit. Now I realize that I am in deep poop. I wisely called Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations.

First off, Jake and Dean are true gentlemen and I want to thank them for taking the time to speak with me. Poor Jake's phone was ringing off the hook behind him. He walked me through the options and I am waiting go the wife to get home and discuss what to do.

I have no clue what the damage is but at the minimum it sounds like a rebuild. My nearest Porsche Indy is 1.5 hours away so I just brought it home. Otherwise I would be paying a hefty tow bill and many hundreds of dollars for them to peer inside and confirm that I am screwed.

Car is a 2000 C2 with 115,000 miles. She has performed flawlessly in the 1.5 I have owned it. All maintenance was up to date.

So, I have to figure out whether to sell as a roller or go with Jakes engine. Right now I am still in a fog. This is like losing a child for me since I don't have kids. Thanks for letting me vent.

He she was on Saturday morning headed to Daytona. And the second pic is Wednesday morning 😣
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Ed, So sorry about your engine. Don't be too quick to sell it as a roller. Do the math first. Jake made you an excellent offer for the replacement. And if you sell it, what would your really want? I saw the look on your face when you were next to me on the way down to Daytona, and then the perma-smile in my mirror while we were lapping at the track.

Take three real deep breaths. Then talk to your bride. She is a clear thinker.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Awe man sorry to hear about this. My motor died on me last year as well. Many options out there tho as im sure you know. Good luck getting her back on the road.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry to hear about the engine and best of luck in getting it sorted out.

What was the mode of failure? Also, if this happened after lapping Daytona, was oil starvation the problem?

I ask because I too have considered doing Daytona with my 996 but decided against it due to the high banking and high G loads which could contribute to oil starvation on the M96. Not to mention the threat of blown rear tires, etc. due to the high banking.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

DC,
The laps we did Saturday at Daytona were touring laps, down on the apron only. No banking. Below 75 mph. Oil starvation was not the cause. In fact, Ed drove over 100 miles home on Saturday, and had been home several days since that event, and drove his car every day to work before the problem occurred. Not sure of the exact diagnosis, yet, but the crankshaft is truly frozen.

However, you are absolutely correct regarding the issues to consider should you decide to do a DE or Club Race at Daytona. There was a ton of mechanical and physical carnage to the DE and Club Racer cars this past weekend there. No physical injuries to the drivers thankfully. LOTS of crumpled sheet metal, and broken engines and suspensions.

Mostly folks whose ego's outpaced their skill (both on the track and in the garage).

Neither Ed nor I were entered in the DE or Club Race. We were the lead and pack pace cars for 84 street stock Porsches that signed up for "baby laps" around the full road course circuit. They paid $10 for the 3 laps. 100% of the money was donated to The Wounded Warrior Project. EVERYBODY said it was great and want to do it again next year. Even had one gentleman who arrived too late to do the laps but still gave us $10 for Wounded Warrior Project.

Last edited by Thundertub; 10-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Have Jake do a 3.6 build.
You won't regret it.

Plus, she's too pretty to give up on...
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
JaxJim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,

Sorry to hear this happened! I was there with you guys too and the laps were a blast. Nothing we did during those laps could have contributed in any way to the engine issues.

I'd be interested to hear what direction you decide to go. Everything I've read seems to indicate Jake is the way to go. You're car looks just too pretty to part out as a roller.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What a great-looking car! It sounds as though you have a tough decision ahead- best of luck with your choice.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Used motor with new IMSB would make sense financially
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Used motor with new IMSB would make sense financially
From an unemotional point of view, this makes total sense.

Also, a Porsche or Raby motor will cost you $20-30K,and you can get a low mileage 2000 all day for that money. So another option is just to sell it as a roller for $3k and buy another.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Copple
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I think it would have been easier for me to make up a story about some illegitimate child that I had been hiding all of these years then tell my wife that the 996 need a new/rebuilt engine...

In then end I consider myself lucky. I'd been driving pretty quickly though some twisties only 20 minutes prior. Had the engine cut out mid-turn I would have been without power steering, assisted brakes, etc... Who knows what could have happened. In the end at least you were at a safe point for the failure to occur.

Take care,
Chris
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
From an unemotional point of view, this makes total sense.

Also, a Porsche or Raby motor will cost you $20-30K,and you can get a low mileage 2000 all day for that money. So another option is just to sell it as a roller for $3k and buy another.
$3K?!?!? and how exactly did you come up with this number?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
$3K?!?!? and how exactly did you come up with this number?
What, too high?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the support. Chris, it was great talking with you today. I just had a meeting with my financial advisor/attorney (wife) and she agrees with my assessment that a motor from Jake is the best option. So, I am in contact with Flat 6 and getting the wheels in motion. Wife and I need to work out the financials (scary part) but hopefully my ole 996 will be on the road in a few months.

Thanks again to my fellow Rennlisters. Unless you have been where I am, it is hard to describe how emotional a blown motor is. Yes, it's just a car but I think we Porsche owners look at it a bit differently.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by San Rensho
What, too high?
Troll

Ban!

Quick Reply: Another 996 down