Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

So I think my engine is shot. Looking for all of the advice I can get.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Havana Daydreaming
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. Whatever you decide, at least talk with Jake Raby at Flat 6. I have a friend in South Florida who took his car to Jake after getting hooked by another rebuilder and Mike's motor is absolutely amazing. I understand Mr. Raby is expensive but we get what we pay for in this game and his work with the 996 engine defines the state of the art in many peoples opinion. When my track day 996 goes, I know who is doing the work. Best luck to you, Scott
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

knock on wood/God forbid but if mine craps out, the no-brainer choice is a rebuilder with a proven/tested track record.....FLAT 6 FTW
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Copple
The rebuilder is dC Automotive out of Raleigh, NC (www.dcauto.com). My dad is good friends with the Service Manager at his local Porsche dealer and he recommended them. I don't want to say which dealer because I wouldn't want to get him in trouble for anything, but he is a good guy that we've known for a long time so I trust his judgement.

Jack, I'll give you guys a call later today when I have some free time. I'm open to all options and I'm not in a rush to do anything. Just trying to do my due dillagance. Thanks!
I would get a second opinion... DC auto.. I have heard good and bad about. But more good then bad... Two, there are no friends in the automotive industry... Just people that take advantage of people that think they are friends.

Get a second opinion.... I think valves crashing and the aftermath would be more of a clank than a flutter.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
"there are no friends in the automotive industry... Just people that take advantage of people that think they are friends"
Nicely put. There are exceptions to every rule, but I think this is a good one to always keep this in the back of your head.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I strive to be that exception......
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad to say shark attack is 99% correct in his friends statement,the older I get the more I realize my wife is my only true friend and every time I put my money faith into a car related venture I come away dissapointed.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Copple
Advanced

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone I truly appreciate. I had a nice conversation with Jack yesterday afternoon. Regardless of what I decide, it was a very informative and educational conversation. I would recomend that anyone in my position at least talk him before they decide which path to take.

I'm still trying to decide which path to take. Not in a rush, just taking my time to make the right decision. I am going to have the car looked at by a local shop for a second opinion sometime in the near future. I'm not going to be purchasing a crate motor from Porsche or having that dealership do the work, primarily because it's more economical to have a independent perform the work plus the added benefit that they are more familiar with our cars.

At this point my options are:
1) Try to have my current engine repaired. Costs for this could range depending on whats damaged.
2) Buy a refurbished engine. I'm thinking that dC Auto is the most economical for me. Completely refurbished engine with an updated ceramic IMS bearing and updated internals for 12.5. Install is 1.5 and comes with a warrantee. If my block is deemed salvageable I can recoup 2k back.
3) Sell the car and move on to something else.

The 996 was a third car for us so there is no rush to do anything, although I don't want it to sit too long. Part of my delimia is I was considering selling the car before this happened and would likely do so after its repaired. I'm thinking that worst case if I end up replacing the engine how does that affect re-sale value. New engine would have the updated ceramic bearing and come with a years warrantee, to me that would provide so me relief or even be an incentive to anyone looking at the car as the major worrie area has been addressed (ceramic IMS) and the new owner would start life with a motor they know the history of. I would also have the clutch replaced as they are anyways.

Also considering keeping the car as we've always enjoyed it too. We already have a planned vacation this weekend so we're going to put this in the back of our minds and enjoy some time off. Thanks to everyone thats contributed to this thread, I appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Glad to have been of assistance. You have the absolute best mindset right now... Take your time, make no quick decisions and do as much research as possible.

With the mileage on the car and the symptoms that we spoke about I'd believe that resurrection of this one is possible, but we do tend to work from a worst case scenario; so don't get your hopes up.

It would be worth grabbing that trailer and running the car up here, if you arrive here one morning and drop the car off we'd probably have an accurate diagnosis with conclusive results by the end of that day. Drop it off, spend the day in Helen Ga and then you could see what we see when we carry out our procedures. Thats the best way to take advantage of only being 5 hours away from us.

Something like this would require an absolute schedule with an appointment made at least 3 weeks in advance, so let us know if you want to do it.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Copple
Advanced

Thought I would provide a little closure to this thread. Porsche called me after having my car for a few days and said that they would supply the engine, I would just have to pay for installation. Since my car was out of warrantee I had pretty much written any assistance from Porsche off, and was expecting something like "We've thought about your situation and we'd like to offer you the opportunity to buy a new Boxster for MSRP!" So when I got the call about the engine I was pretty blown away.

After having my car back and driving for a few weeks I'm really enjoying it again. I had the dealership replace the clutch while they were doing everything else as well. In many ways it's like a new car to me. The new engine comes with a two year warrantee from Porsche, and has the updated IMS design from the 997. It was pretty neat to see the block before they installed everything, I had no idea that everything attached to the engine was new when they did this. Pretty shiny now!

So here are my thoughts for those who may go through this in the future. From talking to my dealer this is what we believe helped me get assistance from Porsche.
- This was my second Porsche.
- I've had all major maintenance done at the dealer (60k service). I've changed my own oil.
- My car was a CPO when I bought it, and had I driven it more the failure 'should' have happened while it was under warrantee.
- Car never exhibited any RMS/IMS leakage or tell-tale signs.

So for those in this situation in the future it may be worthwhile to have it looked at by a dealer and seeing if any assistance could be provided. This may be more the exception than the rule, but I'm sure glad it worked out for me!

Take care.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:59 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

Best possible resolution - congrats! Like a $15k early Xmas present!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is good and goes counter to what you often people say about Porsche and standing behind engine failures in 996's....Good to hear and if you do sell it, now's the time, having a new engine with a warranty should make it worth quite a bit more now than the day before "the incident"...
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

That is fantastic news. Enjoy.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You really got lucky on that one. Congrats!

Anyway, if a person could afford it, get the JR engine. If you cant afford it your other option is to learn to do work yourself or you have no business owning a 996.

But, please get JR's name right. Its JAKE not Jack.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's great news! Good for you.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Agreed, great news!

Quick Reply: So I think my engine is shot. Looking for all of the advice I can get.