Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 996, C4S - Please - take it easy on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was going to ask you about the trans mount because mine had the same issue found during PPI. I see you got all fixed up so nevermind. Dealer agreed to fix problems found by my PPI so I guess I came out ahead. If you dealt with Porsche of North Houston, Im not surprised. Their in house PPI is crap. I almost made a huge mistake buying from them.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only wish my dealer will pony up here. We'll see what they say. They are in your neck of the woods. Im compiling the invoice for the things that should have been fixed prior to my purchase. Not the big things mind you, like the IMS, clutch AOS etc, but the other worn items that were blatantly obvious.

Anyone feel like my lag in 1st gear could be a coil pack(s)?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had trouble with the performance of my Porsche with
newly installed 200c Cats. There is a considerable hesitation
accelerating quickly from a stop or at low rpm. This happens
consistently when aggressively pressing the acceleration peddle.
I ended up returning the Cats.

2002 996
Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be interested in knowing where the car was purchased, I am in the Houston area.....
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy911
I can only wish my dealer will pony up here. We'll see what they say. They are in your neck of the woods. Im compiling the invoice for the things that should have been fixed prior to my purchase. Not the big things mind you, like the IMS, clutch AOS etc, but the other worn items that were blatantly obvious.
Dude, I feel for your struggles and expenses here... but you bought a used car. And a modified used high performance car at that. And you had it inspected by a separate shop prior to the purchase. I just don't see how the dealership is liable for any of your costs. Ethically they probably should step up as they seem to have missed/ignored some problems. But legally you are on your own here as regards the dealer.

Now, the shop that did the PPI is another thing. Did they actually miss a leaking rear main seal, a bad transmission mount, and a bad MAF? If so, that is where I would go. And with the money you just spent and depending on the small claims court process in TX, I would seriously investigate/consider legal action depending on their initial response.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Dude, I feel for your struggles and expenses here... but you bought a used car. And a modified used high performance car at that. And you had it inspected by a separate shop prior to the purchase. I just don't see how the dealership is liable for any of your costs. Ethically they probably should step up as they seem to have missed/ignored some problems. But legally you are on your own here as regards the dealer.

Now, the shop that did the PPI is another thing. Did they actually miss a leaking rear main seal, a bad transmission mount, and a bad MAF? If so, that is where I would go. And with the money you just spent and depending on the small claims court process in TX, I would seriously investigate/consider legal action depending on their initial response.
This - I wouldn't expect a dealership to spot things like vacuum leaks, clutch down to 20% etc. If it's not obvious when you throw the car on the lift, it won't get picked up on a PPI.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I'm assuming you paid a shop to do some of the work you described? What did they say about it? Seems like that would have been the best time to get a few folks to drive it and tell you if they think something is off or if it is just you.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I would have been very hesitant to buy a heavily modded 3.6L. Too many things some yahoo can mess up. The engines run fine NA. If you wanted a supercharged or turbo why not just buy a stock TT? May we ask who the dealer is and who did the PPI so others can beware? I got several opinions before I chose who would do my PPI (RAC Performance in Dallas). They did a top notch thorough job and even made some of the repairs.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KrazyK
May we ask who the dealer is and who did the PPI so others can beware? .
I am waiting to hear as well....
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Big-Al-996
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hiya,
as far as price goes was it under priced, average, or even a touch expensive but you fell for the spec/looks??? i only ask as slightly under priced at least gives you scope to spend a bit and still break even. good luck and hope it all works out.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 749 Posts

Wowie Zowie!! I just read through this thread and I can't believe this! You bought a highly modified used car sight unseen and now you have some problems. I looked at your engine bay picture and sighed heavily. You have an aftermarket supercharger installed on an already brilliant engine design and you are wondering why it doesn't run right. You've already had to "lower" the engine in the engine bay so everything doesn't bang around. Unbelievable! Did you read up on superchargers? Do you understand how they work and what they do? It could be leaning out your 1000-2500 RPM range so badly that you have to kick it up to function in order to even take off...superchargers belong on hot rods for drag racing and it doesn't not even function like a turbo charger with a progressive curve. Watch a drag race, they push those to 7000-8000 RPM (or higher) and pop the clutch to take off. I would ditch everything and go back to stock before trying to venture a guess as to why you have to nail the engine to 2500 RPM to take off, other than you bought a pack of trouble and you're going to spend a lot of time/money getting this one sorted out....caveat emptor!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do appreciate the responses and I am looking for resolution to the remaining issue here which is the lag in throttle response.

To reply to the various questions:

Who was the dealer and PPI?

I will only reply to this if you PM me. My experience may be unique and I do not want to publicly state details on the dealer and PPI. I would say if you have a concern about buying from a used car dealer in the Houston area and want a PPI too, I can tell you who not to use based on my experience here.

Buyer beware on a used car

I understood the risks here and have bought many cars using a PPI, sight unseen. I understand this is risky being highly modified but I had to trust the words coming out of my sales persons mouth and the report I had from the PPI. I have little to no hope in receiving remuneration from the dealer or PPI but I am going to try for the items that should have been picked up. Namely:
MAF
Tie Rods
Tranny Mount
Motor Mounts
Basic running condition of the car.

The sales person was saying as he drove it that it was solid and ran perfect. That he sells many 911's per month and this was on par if not better than most because of the SC.

The PPI did pick up the "wet" RMS and I was ok with this. I negotiated a little more off the price due to this knowing I would replace the RMS when I received it. I chose to spend the cash on the RMS and my Indy thought it may be prudent to do the IMS too based on the actual source of the leak.

Cost of the car was about average after I was able to talk them down a little bit. Probably could have been cheaper but I did see value in the high-end wheels and suspension upgrades.

Note, I am not whining or complaining here, my goal is to get the car running well. Hopefully some here can learn from my mistakes as most certainly I did. I want to glean some technical information and suggestions from you all to resolve the issues and move on. I would say that I am disappointed in the car insomuch as the promises from the dealer.

That said, lastly, the Supercharger itself may or may not be the reason for my throttle lag. Im checking fuel and spark now. If the SC is the issue - I am only a few hours away from the manufacturer of the SC and will make a crusade there for their help and advice.

Thanks in advance for any positive suggestions about the last remaining item.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

PM sent.

Hope you get all issues worked out.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Just another POV ... I wouldn't do anything with the car (including driving it) until you talk it through with you PPI guy. If you can't get satisfaction from him, then go to the dealer. If you can't get satisfaction from the dealer, go to their local BBB. This shouldn't be your problem to solve, at least until you exhaust these primary options.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Still waiting on reply to my PM.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 996, C4S - Please - take it easy on me!!!