Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 996, C4S - Please - take it easy on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah ok. Victory is in Houston and although I had a fantastic experience with the guy that runs it, he has a bad rep online.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy911
Oh also - note the little disclaimer the PPI has in my snippet - seems to absolve them of any found issues afterwards.

I was going to ask you about what the Bill of Sale/PPI stipulated. Best of luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy911
normal along with the 'sweet' whine of the Super Charger (SC).

Greg
In PA unless it has a bad frame or block...Its your car now. no turning back

Oh my... I missed this. Um this is out of my ability.
Motor mounts... Maybe but I doubt it. Bad MM can retard spark But I dont think they would give you this condition.

With an SC hung on it.. I really have no idea. But I would like to see a picture of that engine bay. This could be anything from Not enough fuel delivery and/ or ECU issues compensating for the SC. You really have your hands full.

People think you can just hang a SC on a car... No... to do it right you should have head work done, fuel system delivery re-done and custom ECU program.

I hate to say this.. Start by taking that SC off. You are not talking about a chebby V8 here that was built like a tank... The thing is already a tightly wound rubber band... 300HP/ 300Ft Tq out of 3.4L NA.... the rubber band is already wound very tight... its why when the rubberband breaks..... **** flys apart.

And not knowing if ti ever ran right with the SC we really need to start over. get it running right the way it was meant to be ran. Then re-install the SC if you want too.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

that CEL has to be on..... Does it work????? turn the key with out starting the car.. Does it light up?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
that CEL has to be on..... Does it work????? turn the key with out starting the car.. Does it light up?
+1 They may have removed the bulb. Also note that if they disconnected the battery to clear the CEL, it can take 40-50 miles of driving for the DME to sort out what's what and throw a code. Unless, of course, it is a catastrophic failure, ie blinking CEL, in which case it will throw the code immediately.

You need someone to look at the car who is an expert on 996s asap. Hopefully, it is something simple, like the MAF comment.

The more information the folks here have, the more they can help. Keep the info coming.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir - the CEL Light does illuminate on the key turn. See attached photo and also see that the code reader is not pulling any codes.
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you mind me asking who did the PPI and what dealership?
I had a terrible experience with EXPO a few years ago.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket supercharger? Yikes.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Default Expo

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Do you mind me asking who did the PPI and what dealership?
I had a terrible experience with EXPO a few years ago.
I will PM you - my experience may not be indicative of others and I dont want to accuse anyone until I get a mechanic to look at it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

More info - I spoke to my trusty local mechanic and I'm set to get the car up to him tomorrow. He mentioned to me that based on my description, it could be the dual mass flywheel. (what will that cost me!? - yikes!) or a simple as an air leak on the super charger. I hope its the latter!

If flywheel - what thoughts do you have on an aftermarket vs OEM and any other work I should have done while its apart?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

dual mass is i think 600-1000 for just the fly wheel
I cant see that being it either. But he is going to have at least 10 hours labor invested in finding out.
and if you are going to do that.. May I suggest a clutch and AOS. rear main seal and a L and E bearing
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

and where is my pix of the engine bay?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Here is one pic. I can post a couple others tomorrow. I am really hoping a lot of the noise I am hearing is parts of the SC that may be rubbing or touching other metal things in the engine bay.

I have a Indy Porsche mechanic who knows the cars very well. Also - he mentioned he could determine a flywheel issue upon a test drive. I personally don't think its a flywheel either because when in motion, shifting and moderate to hard driving isn't producing anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

One other note: There was a group buy on here some time ago for the SC:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...group-buy.html

Has a decent write up and pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Default Results from 3.5 week repair

Hello all -

I thought I might update this thread to share what I had done over the last several weeks.

If you re-read the OP, you can see the issues I was facing and I would say most are resolved....but not my main complaint.

1) Smoke Test found three vacuum leaks

Evaporative Line fitting on Intake Manifold
Re-seal the additional Fuel Injector (for Super Charger)
Re-seal Intercooler to Intake Manifold

2)MAF Replacement
Voltage was showing low and volume of air was not as expected at idle.

The MAF replacement alone yielded most of the improvement to the idle and startup. The inital "clunk" on start up is much less and almost gone. Though I will say it didnt resolve all the issues I see on starts from 1st gear. More on that later, below.

3) Pre-emptive replacement of IMS bearing with LN IMS retrofit.

I have the old bearing and it looks solid still. I would say there is a little bit of play in the bearing but only after it was uninstalled. My Indy said there was definitely a decent oil leak coming directly from the bearing (housing) so perhaps this was a good call on the replacement.

4) New RMS seal, of course.

5) New Clutch (kit)
was only 20% left on clutch so we replaced this too. What a difference! The clutch is very easy to push down now! Grabs much better now.

6) Transmission mount was shot - replaced

7) The rear Flex Disc was dry-rotted and cracked. Replaced.

8) New AOS
I have the old one. Seems to be fine but again, peace of mind on a preemptive fix.

9) Semi-Solid Engine Mounts
Make: RSS Tarmac

10) New Plugs (NGK BKR Platinum)

11) Fresh oil and filter (Indy recommended 5w 40 Castrol Syntec)

12) PA State safety and emissions inspection

So - Now I have peace of mind about some of the major issues that are possible with my P-Car. Most of the clunks are gone due to the 10+ hours of additional labor to lower the engine and re-manipulate the Super Charger pipes and stuff so they are not rubbing on the interior engine bay.

However, my main complaint is still there - though seems to be improved, not resolved:

That is, my start from first gear - I am just not confident I am not going to stall the car. I feel I need to rev to 2500RPM to ensure I can get it moving.

I have been driving a clutched car for 25+ years so I don't think its me.

There seems to be a lag when I press on the gas enough that something just doesn't seem right still.

Any other thoughts? I dont expect a perfect car by any stretch but after this monster bill, I would have thought my #1 complaint could be resolved.

Please chime in. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New (to me) 996, C4S - Please - take it easy on me!!!