Sponsored by:

On Driving Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Driving Porsche

I drive a nice but well-worn 2003 C2. Black with clear indicator lenses and black Innsbruck wheels... Otherwise stock. (Most of the cars I see on here are much nicer looking than mine).

Pulled into parking lot this AM and was listening to the end of a news story when another guy pulls up next to me in a brand, spanking new Vette, spit shined and all.

He gets out, walks over to my car and motions for me to roll the window down...

Long story short, he goes on to gush about how cool and classic my car is and how he "... really wanted a 911" but couldn't justify spending the money (he intimated six figures) on it, so he spent 70k on his Vette. I politely complimented him on the Vette and simply responded that the Porsche was, indeed, a great car.

Then I walked into the Courthouse with little more steam in my stride (or lead in my pencil).

These are really cool cars and I often think about that when purring down the road, daydreaming about something or other. Nice when someone else notices and pays you an uninvited compliment. I've posted before that when you take all categories into balance, these are, hands down, the best sports cars out there.

In any event, I thought you clowns would get a kick out the story.

Take it easy and happy motoring...

JKC
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool story. A buddy of mine once told me "nobody cross shops Porsche and Corvette". I didn't agree. I was the other way around. Really wanted a 2003 50th Anniversary car. The maroon/burgundy colored one. Loved it, but the Porsche grew on me and I ended up with the 03 C4.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess being a Porsche enthusiasts and not really thinking like your avg person off the street, I'm also dumbfounded everytime I get approached or complimented(practically everytime I take out my car).

It's nice that people still think our "lowly" 996's are still expensive exotics.

One guy at a gas station was so in love with my car that I told him that if he can afford a brand new Honda Accord, he can have one of these. His mouth dropped and thought I was trying to joke around with him. Little does he know...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I had many Chevy's growing up and while a Vette is certainly a special car in my opinion it is never a Porsche. We take for granted that we bought these for the price of a Honda but to most people I meet in thier eys it is still an exotic. The Porsches just seem to age better than a Vette and the perception is always different.

That said I have lusted after a porsche since highschool so I am more than a bit biased...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

I bought mine for 53k in 2005, so I bought ahead of the price drop (and the Honda comments). Still, great car.

You guys are right, some folks think of them as exotics... I've just always thought of them as great, practical, sports cars.

Corvettes are very nice, but I put them in the Viper category. Powerful but brutish. I put the 996 in the finesse category. If inclined, go look at the Z4 M/Cayman comparison on line and you can get a feel for it. Basically, the reviews are that the Z4 M is very good, but the Cayman is so much smoother and balanced. I kinda get that feel driving my car.

In any event, he was a nice fellow and had a nice car... Albeit, plastic! (Sorry, the shot was there so I took it).

JKC
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Would this be my old friend Jim from Savannah?

Rob
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

It is the one. And you are? I had one buddy down there named Rob that I worked with for a bit...

JKC
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
rap
Racer

I have 968's and agree that it sure is a jump starter to any day to have someone compliment, gush over your car. Mine is just about always misidentified as a 911 and brings an inward chuckle as I explain what the car actually is to a blank comprehending face!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

One and the same. What a small world. Good to see you on the forums. I also have an '03 996 but mine is a Cab. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Rob
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

Rap,

I had a 968 and loved it but the pinion bearing went at a bad time for me and I had to let it go. Neat little cars. Mine was a cabriolet and I still miss it. I have the Pete Morgan 924/944/968 book if you are interested. Hard cover but no jacket. Good condition and good statistical information on the cars. Neat read and might be useful to include with the car if you ever sell, or, to display with the car if you go to shows or gatherings. I'll sell it to you cheap if you have any interest.

Rob,

Too funny. Are you still in Savannah? Looks that way. PM me and next time I am down there we can hook up for a meal and nice drive. I normally come down for TGiving. I also get through there for cases I am working. Keep me posted and hope you are otherwise doing well.

JKC
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM
rap
Racer

JCreasy I do have that interest. contact me at clrbrook@epix.net and we can make arrangements!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been fortunate enough to have owned 2-Pcars and a C6 Corvette. Must say I prefer the Pcars but the brotherhood of Corvette drivers puts us to shame. Why can't we simply acknowledge each other on the road with a simple waive?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstutler
I've been fortunate enough to have owned 2-Pcars and a C6 Corvette. Must say I prefer the Pcars but the brotherhood of Corvette drivers puts us to shame. Why can't we simply acknowledge each other on the road with a simple waive?
My experience has been the same. I've had other car marques which was also more brotherly on the roads and such.

My guess is that you have more "true" enthusiasts with other car brands and less posers, unlike Porsches where you do have a certain percentage of people wanting the car merely for status or bragging rights and are not really in tune with the company, history, car, and culture.

I've just about quit waiving to fellow Porsche owners on the roads because I don't get a return wave 80% of the time. Sad but true.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dstutler
There's definitely a lil' bit of truth to this, but I think it depends on the area you're in (there's not very many Porsche's around here) Vettes are on every other corner! Its pretty much the same way in the VCA (Viper Club) though there's even less of them around here its a very tight nit group (but Don't think you'll Ever get a compliment from a Vette guy while your in the Viper)! Most of the guys in the VCA usually prefer the Ford GT or the Ferraris, not me! jmo
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wayyyy too many P-cars in Scottsdale (where I live), so I think I miss out on the "wow...nice Porsche!" comments. Instead of "Slug Bug" you could play "Slug Porsche" and end up with plenty of bruises. Too many driven around here to make seeing one special.

Regarding the wave, not too many fellow P-car drivers acknowledge each other, however, us Guards Red guys always throw a wave.

Quick Reply: On Driving Porsche