Sponsored by:

On Driving Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Wayyyy too many P-cars in Scottsdale (where I live), so I think I miss out on the "wow...nice Porsche!" comments. Instead of "Slug Bug" you could play "Slug Porsche" and end up with plenty of bruises. Too many driven around here to make seeing one special.

Regarding the wave, not too many fellow P-car drivers acknowledge each other, however, us Guards Red guys always throw a wave.
Gonzo, that's cause Scottsdale's where all the Retired Rich People Live! Lol!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rap,

End of a long day but I'll see about getting it to you.

Will email tomorrow or later in week.

Take it easy,

JKC
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get compliments and oohing and ahhing everytime I stop, but I live in a small ranching town about 25 miles outside of Austin. There is one other Porsche (a Boxter), but I'm pretty sure I have the baddest beast in town.

It is amazing the attention these things can draw, even though we all know they cost less than the average well equipped pickup truck.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"they cost less than the average well equipped pickup truck." just don't tell them

The wave thing does kind of bug me. Porsche is one of the few cars I have owned with so many douche bags driving them that are not only NOT enthusiasts not even car guys.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
Gonzo, that's cause Scottsdale's where all the Retired Rich People Live! Lol!
I just wish I fell into at least one of those categories!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rap,

10 bucks plus postage. So send me 15 and I'll send it to you. (I think I paid 20 or 25 for it). Let me know and give me an address and I'll send it out. You can pay me when you get it or send the money when you can. jcreasy@gilliscreasy.com. (Just remember when you need to sue someone in Georgia)!

Meantime, enjoy that 968 and send some PICs.

Take it easy,

JKC
Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owned a 1969 Corvette - enjoyed it, traded it for a Grand Am and a good bit of cash - took the cash, loaded up the Grand Am and headed to Florida where I quickly traded the Grand Am for a 1968 911. Enjoyed that 911 and for 30 years since that 911 hung on to the someday there will be another 911. I too paid well above "market price" for my 996's - over 51k for the C2 in 2007 and over 40K for the C4S a year ago - so not quite Honda territory.

But I honestly bought them for what they are, not the price, and certainly not what other people will think.

I too get a kick out of all the compliments, and I too am disappointed that the Porsche wave is so rare. Back in the days of 68 911 it was a flick of the high beams, the vette was received with a ave from other vette owners, I still remember telling a friend that whoever owned my vette before sure had a lot of friends because people wave at me all the time. True story -but what did I know.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wish I fell into at least one of those categories!
Same here! But I am in Tucson at the moment, except I am driving a Buick and missing the 996 after just 2 days. On the upside, the 996 really feels like an exotic after spending a week or so in a rental.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wayyyy too many P-cars in Scottsdale (where I live), so I think I miss out on the "wow...nice Porsche!" comments. Instead of "Slug Bug" you could play "Slug Porsche" and end up with plenty of bruises. Too many driven around here to make seeing one special.

Regarding the wave, not too many fellow P-car drivers acknowledge each other, however, us Guards Red guys always throw a wave.
Same as here in Vancouver. Heck the soccer mom car of choice here is the Cayenne! Kids have so much money here, Ferraris and Lambos are the minimum wow threshold. And I've never seen anyone wave to me in my Cab unlike when I rode motorcycles.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I always give a wave from the top of the steering wheel to passing Porsches, and I get a return wave about 90% of the time. Ok, I don't normally wave to the Cayennes and Panameras. I just assume they won't understand. Otherwise, the Porsche community around here is pretty friendly. Sad to hear that is the exception.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with frisbee. I always wave especially at other 911s. Interestingly enough, I attended a PCA DE event at Roebling this past weekend and didn't find the Porsche folks all that friendly. Lots of others came up to strike-up a conversation about my 996, like Jim implied, people think its worth a lot more than it really is. I think it was that custom blue painter's tape bra that really pushed it over the top .
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I still wave to but if 1% responds I am lucky most just drive past looking confused :/
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I always give a wave from the top of the steering wheel to passing Porsches, and I get a return wave about 90% of the time. Ok, I don't normally wave to the Cayennes and Panameras. I just assume they won't understand. Otherwise, the Porsche community around here is pretty friendly. Sad to hear that is the exception.
One day, I accidentally waved to a Boxster
Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure the guy in the Vette meant maintenance costs... The "costs less than a new pickup" is really not fair and its better not to say it to average folks They are likely to go into just how much money it costs in parts and maintenance to run an older Porsche out of warranty. Easily more in service costs by orders of magnitude over any Vette. I owned a Vette before owning a 911 and while I did know what to expect from also owning Benz and BMW, I did miss the super low cost supercar experience you get with the checkered flags. Some may say "do your own wrenching and shop around!", but even if thats something you could/would to, then you could/would do it on the Vette too so it would be even that much cheaper.

Net net, the price of admission on an older car out of warranty doesnt mean a whole lot. Its the TCO that really matters and thats where the vast majority of people tap out (hence why in the vast majority of places on earth Porsches are still very rare and exotic)

Quick Reply: On Driving Porsche