Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I totally concur. The heart of the Porsche has always been the engine and people that have grown up with the cars understand and accept that. The 996 has drawn a different crowd of ownership, many of which never owned an AirCooled Porsche and don't know what it's like to have no A/C or heat that smells like burned oil. These are the people who generally sell us the car when it breaks because they can't justify spending more on the engine than the car is worth. To those who buy our engines the car is something they love beyond economics and enough of those people exist to backlog us 8 months all the time. This is responsible for te fact that I have NEVER seen a car with our engine reconstruction be offered for sale. The first thing I tell anyone looking for prices on my engine is the fact that it makes zero sense to buy the engine if they don't intend to keep the car for the next two decades or beyond.

In the old days we were installing 10k buck engines in 914s worth 4k. The same went for the 356 and earlier 911 before they started increasing in value.

It's a Porsche, not a Honda an part of the problem is Porsche created a vehicle that has drawn a crowd that doesn't grasp what true Porsche ownership was about for the first 5 decades of the existence of the marque. My daily driver is not a modern Porsche, though I own a stable full of them. I choose an 88 Carrera with 260,000 miles and run the **** our of it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
BTW- Charles from LN and I are currently finishing up the final 2,000 miles of a 7,000 mile excursion testing my next generation M96 engine. From Georgia to Edmonton AB Canada and back in 8 days and we didn't take te direct route. I am currently writing from the passenger seat from the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. Flawless performance all the way for the entire engine package. Hell, it even has the IMS Solution installed:-)
I'm sooo disappointed I missed your class in Edmonton any chance you'll do another one in the future?

sean
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
I'm sooo disappointed I missed your class in Edmonton any chance you'll do another one in the future?

sean
No, I won't be back in Canada till next summer when we have a class in Toronto. The class in Edmonton was one of our best ever and was sold out!
You could alway attend my rebuild school at Flat 6 for hands on assembly.

Quick Reply: Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!