Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!

As some of you who followed my recent bad gas/misfire posts know (now relegated to the "wishful thinking" category) I'm in need of a replacement 3.6L engine for my '02 C2, or a rebuild on the existing engine. In starting to work through my options I called both Suncoast and Sunset Porsche today to find out the current "deal" on remanufactured engines.

I'm shocked and amazed at the response, which was identical between these two sources. They want $34,108 up front for a vanilla 3.6L rebuilt engine (more money than I paid for the car), and presumably with all of the inherent flaws of the original one. $16,168 is the net cost after a core credit of $17,940! It would appear that Porsche is_really_eager to have these blown engines returned given the $18K core charge.

I asked about the process for the core credit and how long it takes. It sounds like Porsche would have my $18K as hostage for at least a month including shipping time for the core return, and I assume shipping both ways is additional cost and my expense. I was also told they tear down the core and examine it as part of their determination about the core charge refund, which means that getting my $18K back isn't a sure thing.

Clearly I can strike this off my list of options because it's ludicrous, but I report it here just because I'm blown away by how customer-unfriendly Porsche is making this for all concerned. I get it that the amount of nuked M96 engines as a % of 996 sales is probably a lower figure than the internet flaming would imply (although I have had two dead ones so far in this car at 78K miles). But there is no shortage of bad publicity about these issues and it's an obvious sore spot in the Porsche community. It was in fact mentioned again in the YouTube Tanner Faust clip posted on this board earlier today. I don't expect Porsche to be giving away engines to replace the ones that are failing prematurely in the field, but they would go a long way toward healing some wounds by coming up with a reasonable replacement program. What they're doing now is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Somewhere, Jake Raby must be smiling, not at misfortune like mine, but at the prospect of a large and growing customer base.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They want to sell 997's as certified pre-owned and new 991's not keep us 2nd or 3rd hand 996 owners happy. Let's face it reason most of us own a 996 is becasue a 991 was out of reach and those new car buyersa re who is making Porsche the most oney. Not saying I agree 100% but I think that is just the way it is.

Good luck sorting it out.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Tiderace, have you or your mechanic pinpointed the engine problem/damages? If so, what happened to the engine? Are the cases in tact? I have some recent experience as I had to rebuild my motor last year. There are more options out there...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I have one maybe two 996 engines that I am parting with, no core required.

EM to PO sent.

Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

these pricing will surely keep the 996 value right down...the drain.
I personally could not drive my car if it was not under nw extended power train warranty. too scary.
The engine cost is almost reasonable for porsche tax and all, but the core charge is insane considering they decide if you will get your money back or not. I mean what exactly is their incentive to give you your money back ? how would you argue they are wrong about their diagnostic. I assume you have to have blind trust in porsche... tough sell !

And talking about trying to sell new product, I don't think it helps to not backup your older products. that doesn't send the right message to future buyer I think. Why should they expect to be treated any better than us ?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These posts are why I have started a secret LN rebuild fund
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Why should they expect to be treated any better than us ?" because they paid $100k
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hardback
Tiderace, have you or your mechanic pinpointed the engine problem/damages? If so, what happened to the engine? Are the cases in tact? I have some recent experience as I had to rebuild my motor last year. There are more options out there...
The boroscope (sp?) photo image inside cylinder #1 shows a small piece of metal embedded in the cylinder head adjacent to one of the valves. Valves are all intact as was the plug for that cylinder so it's most likely a broken off piece of metal from a piston or ring. The piston is contacting this chunk of metal at TDC. The cases are fine. Oil was drained and filter opened up and there was no metal flakes or chunky bits.

I was wondering if this was a self inflicted wound so I asked about what the DME had logged in terms of over rev's. There were several Type 1's, which I understand is essentially bumping into the rev limiter, and a few Type 2's which is supposedly slightly above redline but still in the no harm, no foul range. The Type 2's were recorded pretty far back in the engine hour run time history and are an unlikely contributing factor to a sudden engine failure. There were no Type 3, 4, 5 or 6 over rev's recorded.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
"Why should they expect to be treated any better than us ?" because they paid $100k
But ya know what, even if they buy it new, once they are far enough out of warranty they are just as low on food chain as us.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Broken ring landing is more likely from detonation than over rev I would think.
Maybe some bad fuel?

Could it possibly be from someplace else and entered through open valve?

I missed OPs original thread

M
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Take it apart and send cases to LN Engineering for 3.8 rebore and nikasil plating. Find a competent shop to rebuild when the cases and shiny forged pistons come back. Wait time could be 4-8 weeks. You don't want to waste time.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Maybe some bad fuel?

M
Presumably the ecu would retard timing before anything that catastrophic like that would happen. Maybe injector blockage and extreme lean condition?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
But ya know what, even if they buy it new, once they are far enough out of warranty they are just as low on food chain as us.
those buyers will probably just sell it and sink another $100K (or more) in the next new thing
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Maybe some bad fuel?

M
Interesting that you mention bad fuel and detonation as a possible cause since that was speculated in my original post. Fuel tank was nearly empty and I had just filled it 10 miles and 15 minutes of run time prior to the onset of misfire and then told calamity 30 seconds later.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TideRace
As some of you who followed my recent bad gas/misfire posts know (now relegated to the "wishful thinking" category) I'm in need of a replacement 3.6L engine for my '02 C2, or a rebuild on the existing engine. In starting to work through my options I called both Suncoast and Sunset Porsche today to find out the current "deal" on remanufactured engines.

I'm shocked and amazed at the response, which was identical between these two sources. They want $34,108 up front for a vanilla 3.6L rebuilt engine (more money than I paid for the car), and presumably with all of the inherent flaws of the original one. $16,168 is the net cost after a core credit of $17,940! It would appear that Porsche is_really_eager to have these blown engines returned given the $18K core charge.

I asked about the process for the core credit and how long it takes. It sounds like Porsche would have my $18K as hostage for at least a month including shipping time for the core return, and I assume shipping both ways is additional cost and my expense. I was also told they tear down the core and examine it as part of their determination about the core charge refund, which means that getting my $18K back isn't a sure thing.

Clearly I can strike this off my list of options because it's ludicrous, but I report it here just because I'm blown away by how customer-unfriendly Porsche is making this for all concerned. I get it that the amount of nuked M96 engines as a % of 996 sales is probably a lower figure than the internet flaming would imply (although I have had two dead ones so far in this car at 78K miles). But there is no shortage of bad publicity about these issues and it's an obvious sore spot in the Porsche community. It was in fact mentioned again in the YouTube Tanner Faust clip posted on this board earlier today. I don't expect Porsche to be giving away engines to replace the ones that are failing prematurely in the field, but they would go a long way toward healing some wounds by coming up with a reasonable replacement program. What they're doing now is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Somewhere, Jake Raby must be smiling, not at misfortune like mine, but at the prospect of a large and growing customer base.
IIRC from one of your posts in another thread, the engine was rebuilt at around 8K miles back. Have you approached the engine rebuilder to see if he offers any warranty/goodwill?

The core charge thing I can understand the anxiety based on the amount of money involved -- it is a scary amount -- and from the uncertainty and cost involved.

But I think I can see Porsche's point of view at least in this case.

Given your car's engine was rebuilt it could be the rebuild is -- I hope I'm wrong -- a bad job and the engine is not only broken in a rather unusual manner: A chunk of metal from as yet an unknown location (but apparently not arising from a d-chunk failure) or part is visible via a borescope examination); but the engine may be unsuitable to serve as a core due to the quality of the rebuild.

Porsche is not responsible for warranting, in some fashion -- via a core charge credit in this case -- an engine rebuild by crediting an owner of such an engine a core credit if the engine was not rebuilt properly and its failure has rendered the engine unsuitable to serve as a suitable core from which a viable remanufactured engine can be produced.

Since Porsche is on the hook via a warranty (parts: 2 years, 24K miles) and labor: one year IIRC) when it supplies a remanufactured engine that is installed by one of its authorized dealers Porsche I'm sure wants to start out with as good as a core as possible. A rebuilt engine may not be that core.

Anyhow, I hope it all works out for you in the end as best it can. You are without a doubt facing an unpleasant situation.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 09-17-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Typos...

Quick Reply: Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!