Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to reiterate that I personally believe the incidence of failure of these engines as a percentage of sales is low. Bad news travels fast, while years and years of reliable performance isn't something people start new posts about.

I looked around at options to replace this car instead of spending more money on it and included in that search things like '02 and up Turbos, '06 and up 997's, any year GT3's, M3's, etc and came to the conclusion that my '02 C2 will still be an amazing performance car for the money even after I factor costs to replace the engine. As a kid, one of my cars was a '67 Chevelle SS with a big block 396. I blew it up twice, caught it on fire once, and every time it came back stronger and faster post rebuild. I'm looking at this project with the same eager anticipation.

And there are plenty of under-marketed options out there for replacement engines. There are builders in SoCal that have good pedigrees and will put together a beefed up motor in the $10K to $12K range. A fellow forum member pinged me about an $8,500 M96 motor with under 5K miles, etc.

I started this thread not to bash engine failures, but to report the current options and up front cost of replacing a motor with a factory rebuild. Many of the historical reports show costs from Porsche in the $10K to $15K range with core charges in the $3K to $5K range. I also ran into the occasional report of X51 motors at blowout prices (blowout might be a bad descriptor in a blown motor thread). Those conditions don't exist today, although it appears these programs with Porsche are somewhat fluid so who knows what will happen down the road.

I'm still feeling very positive about my overall experience with this car and am looking forward to getting it back on the road.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm willing to bet there are a lot of good Porsche engine builders out there that might not have the exposure or internet savy to market themselves like some.

I mean c'mon, a Porsche engine isn't a magical thing that only a few can work on. Sure the parts might cost a bit more(especially OEM if you even have a choice depending on part) and you might need some special tools but I'm willing to bet that there are a good portion of independents out there that have built quite a few Porsche engines that can do just as good of a job. It's just a matter of finding them and finding one that is fair and not willing to impose the famous Porsche tax on you.

Of course, you can play it safe and go by internet reputation and pay the premium for a piece of mind. That would be an individual decision that varies by person.

My $.02

+1 OP, You can get a rebuild with upgraded cylinders and pistons done for $10-13,000 depending on what parts you choose to replace or upgrade along the way. Do your homework and negotiate hourly rates before deciding on a shop.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Let's hope VW having a controlling stake in Porsche changes things up a bit in favor of improved older car support and service.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think that's in VW's business plan at all...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by fasteddie99
I don't think that's in VW's business plan at all...
Lol, I know, it was just simply naive wishful thinking at best.

I was really hoping VW as a parent company would absorb some of the costs and be willing to minimize their profits in that dept to preserve the Porsche brand and reputation at the highest order since now they can pull from other areas to satisfy their earnings report for the shareholders....yeah right. But who am I kidding?

I'll get off my crack pipe now...

Edit: On a sidenote, I've been happy with BMW's support for their enthusiasts. How many other car manufacturers can you still buy 40 year old car parts still directly from the dealer.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's the other way around. Porsche owns the controlling interest in VW. The story is outlined in CNBC's documentary "Fastbucks Porsche" It tells how Porsche made milliions in the financial markets and bought up VW shares.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I think it's the other way around. Porsche owns the controlling interest in VW. The story is outlined in CNBC's documentary "Fastbucks Porsche" It tells how Porsche made milliions in the financial markets and bought up VW shares.
Uh... I don't think you've kept up with the latest news....

And by saying "controlling" I was trying to be nice(more like 100%).
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going through this painful, very frustrating motor rebuild process right now. I won't get into any debates about cost, the "porsche tax," exposure of dollars and the very high cost for relatively modest performance--seriously $18K and more for a sub 350-375 hp motor!--or whether all those dollars are worth it. I will say that I concluded that either a factory reman or the marquee rebuild were too much money for the market value of a '99, not to mention the "what if" the motor goes caplooy again, and you're out the money. BTW, the marquee rebuild does not include a warranty if you put your car on the track . . .

So, firmly believing that a rebuild should not deprive the daughter of a college education, I contracted with one of those "SoCal" builders. As I said, very frustrating, very painful. And, no, it wasn't Motor Meister, though I begin to wonder . . . I really do not understand why more independents are not trumpeting good value rebuilds and then backing their business up with some basic competence and integrity. Why is that asking so much?

I'll leave it here: if you are considering a "So Cal" builder, please feel free to pm me for details that may help you avoid some expensive headaches.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

A guy could always installl one of these!

Porsche 4.0 RSR Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zero Hours from our friends at PMNA. 4.0 RSR engine . RSR exhaust. RSR flywheel with Carbon Clutch and a bunch of other racing parts. The price is $90k. I could not get the pictures to load but I will post some pictures on the Orbitracing.com website in the Race Cars for Sale section.

Please call with any questions

Rodger@orbitracing.com

561 840 2109
Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

These prices and core charges are nothing new.. Been this way for over a year now, just wait till your core engine goes to Germany and get inspected and they tell you that they'll be keeping your core money! That happens frequently today, we field the calls.
Looks like its time to raise my prices, I simply cannot have the Porsche engine cost less than my hand built substitute.. No wonder we have cars at the shop from 17 states and 3 Canadian Provinces. Been working too cheap!
We saw this coming over a decade ago.. Back then the Porsche engine was 7-8k and our was 15k+ and we still sold more than we even wanted to build.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

BTW- Charles from LN and I are currently finishing up the final 2,000 miles of a 7,000 mile excursion testing my next generation M96 engine. From Georgia to Edmonton AB Canada and back in 8 days and we didn't take te direct route. I am currently writing from the passenger seat from the middle of nowhere in Nebraska. Flawless performance all the way for the entire engine package. Hell, it even has the IMS Solution installed:-)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Starting to sound like an LS1 stuffed in the engine bay might not be a bad idea after all...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealership rebuilds are starting to look reasonable . . . Scary, huh!?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We really need to start a push for DIY rebuild support, even $10K rebuild on a $20K car makes very little economic sense.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, this is not a new issue. I have owned many cars from the 70's 80's and 90's. An engine rebuild sometimes exceeded the value of the car, but was always a dubious expenditure.

I rebuilt a 3.0 liter for about $9,000, less than 6 months later I sold the car for 14,000.
Today if you crate or rebuild for 18,000, you could sell for 25K.

Looks like very similar math to me, just more decimal points.

Quick Reply: Wow - 996 3.6L replacement cost from Porsche!