Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, true enough. Human factors need to be considered
Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 PM
accted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Measure the oil level before the 1st trip of the day. The engine has sat and the oil has drained and it is cold.

Takes 5 seconds at least with my 02 Boxster.

Another time I check the oil level is like when I get in the car to head home from the office. The car has sat 4, 5 or more hours unused and it takes 5 seconds.

Yet another time is after I fill up the gas tank. Generally the drives are level and the engine is hot yet has sat long enough for the oil to drain back. Also, the DME notes that fuel was added and somehow it facilitates an oil level check.

Since I almost always run the tank down to 1/3rd or even 14th full by the time I put in 12 or more gallons (most is 15.6 gallons... I ran the tank way way down) the car has sat long enough the oil check takes 5 seconds.

And then when I change the oil. This time I use the dipstick but I have noted how much oil I have added so I just use this to ensure the dipstick agrees with the amount of oil I have added and the digital oil level agrees too.

Be aware that even if the engine sits overnight if the last trip of the previous day was a short one, the oil level can read a bit lower than it would otherwise.

Also, another thing is that when cold the oil level will be a bit lower than it is when the oils is fully up to temp, which can be 200F or hotter.

In my Boxster this can account for 2 bars on the display difference in the oil level reading. Cold the level is down 2 bars from the max line and when hot but after sitting a good amount of time the level can be, make that will be at the max line. Difference? Oil temp.

Oil consumption varies due to many factors some of them under the driver's control, some of them not. Unless your car's engine is burning an excessive amount of oil -- consult the owners manual -- my advice is to ignore what other driver's report getting regarding oil consumption.

The comparison is nearly pointless and for some it can color their opinion of a very fine car because the car's engine burns a quart more oil in X number of miles than someone else's car.

As the saying goes: There is always a faster car. This also can be modified to: There is always someone whose engine burns less oil. Or less gas. Or is quieter. Or cost less. Or you name it, excels in a way your car doesn't.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I was looking for this.
Got the answer!
Thank you !
Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I glance at the pool of oil under the car. If it's reached beyond the wheels, I add a quart. Naw I'm just bull****tin.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:27 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine is consistently two ticks below the top when starting cold. Run it and restart it within an hour or two and it could show full or down three ticks.

I just go on the cold start reading.

TC
Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher28
I glance at the pool of oil under the car. If it's reached beyond the wheels, I add a quart. Naw I'm just bull****tin.
Jaguar owner? 😀
Old 04-02-2019, 05:52 PM
blacksquid
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Recently, my oil level gauge on the dash is reading completely overfull; all bars lit. Oil pressure is fine and no CEL or oil level lights on (the only dash lights are the "PSM off" and ABS). No codes on my OBDII. I checked the oil level after the car has sat overnite and most of today and the level indicated by the dipstick shows me getting close to the lower mark. I don't think this is normal. Any ideas where to look?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksquid
Recently, my oil level gauge on the dash is reading completely overfull; all bars lit. Oil pressure is fine and no CEL or oil level lights on (the only dash lights are the "PSM off" and ABS). No codes on my OBDII. I checked the oil level after the car has sat overnite and most of today and the level indicated by the dipstick shows me getting close to the lower mark. I don't think this is normal. Any ideas where to look?

Are you checking it on level ground and stone cold? May need a new oil sender if the dipstick and dash don't match.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

I would think that after ...overnight cold.....the dipstick would be the TRUE reading ??
Old 04-03-2019, 09:32 AM
blacksquid
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
I would think that after ...overnight cold.....the dipstick would be the TRUE reading ??
Agree, I think it it might be the oil level/temp sensor.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

My light behind that indicator burned out, so I have been checking via dipstick more often than before.

Which is, of course, a good thing.

Quick Reply: 996 Oil level/checking