996 Oil level/checking

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 996 Oil level/checking

All,
Question about checking the oil level in my 996 (x51 option if that makes a difference).

I drove and parked the car on friday in my garage (flat surface). I stopped the engine, and then waited a couple of seconds and gave it ACC power. The computer had a countdown to wait 2mins before it would check the oil level. After the 2-mins, the computer measured the oil. It was "2 ticks" below the top line. Weird I thought as the previous week when I checked, the computer indicated it was at "max" level (in fact 1-tick above the max line on the screen)

I was thinking maybe in the 2-mins all the oil did not drain back down yet.

So today, after the car has sat since Friday, I gave it ACC power to see what the oil level was. Test returned that the oil level is at the top tick. I ran the test again and it was 1-tick below the top.

My questions are:
When do you measure your oil levels?
Do you trust the computer to measure vs. the dipstick?
What do you guys see for your oil consumption?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey yoda I check mine flat when cold with the dip stick, I don't trust my dash readout.
As for consumption, my car does it s little oil but not sure the exact volume.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check mine in am stone cold and let it go thru the 4 second check while I get my belt on... Seems to register very similar to the dipstick (when I don't start and then check with the stick)... So that is what I monitor first drive of each day is the obc readout... Works for me
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do use the dash read out but also check using the dip stick at times. I believe the 997's only have the dash read out, no dipstick, I would assume Porsche believes the dash read out to be accurate. I'm just sayin'
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the dash readout for a quick check. But I only add oil after checking the dipstick.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
All,
Question about checking the oil level in my 996 (x51 option if that makes a difference).

I drove and parked the car on friday in my garage (flat surface). I stopped the engine, and then waited a couple of seconds and gave it ACC power. The computer had a countdown to wait 2mins before it would check the oil level. After the 2-mins, the computer measured the oil. It was "2 ticks" below the top line. Weird I thought as the previous week when I checked, the computer indicated it was at "max" level (in fact 1-tick above the max line on the screen)

I was thinking maybe in the 2-mins all the oil did not drain back down yet.

So today, after the car has sat since Friday, I gave it ACC power to see what the oil level was. Test returned that the oil level is at the top tick. I ran the test again and it was 1-tick below the top.

My questions are:
When do you measure your oil levels?
Do you trust the computer to measure vs. the dipstick?
What do you guys see for your oil consumption?
Measure the oil level before the 1st trip of the day. The engine has sat and the oil has drained and it is cold.

Takes 5 seconds at least with my 02 Boxster.

Another time I check the oil level is like when I get in the car to head home from the office. The car has sat 4, 5 or more hours unused and it takes 5 seconds.

Yet another time is after I fill up the gas tank. Generally the drives are level and the engine is hot yet has sat long enough for the oil to drain back. Also, the DME notes that fuel was added and somehow it facilitates an oil level check.

Since I almost always run the tank down to 1/3rd or even 14th full by the time I put in 12 or more gallons (most is 15.6 gallons... I ran the tank way way down) the car has sat long enough the oil check takes 5 seconds.

And then when I change the oil. This time I use the dipstick but I have noted how much oil I have added so I just use this to ensure the dipstick agrees with the amount of oil I have added and the digital oil level agrees too.

Be aware that even if the engine sits overnight if the last trip of the previous day was a short one, the oil level can read a bit lower than it would otherwise.

Also, another thing is that when cold the oil level will be a bit lower than it is when the oils is fully up to temp, which can be 200F or hotter.

In my Boxster this can account for 2 bars on the display difference in the oil level reading. Cold the level is down 2 bars from the max line and when hot but after sitting a good amount of time the level can be, make that will be at the max line. Difference? Oil temp.

Oil consumption varies due to many factors some of them under the driver's control, some of them not. Unless your car's engine is burning an excessive amount of oil -- consult the owners manual -- my advice is to ignore what other driver's report getting regarding oil consumption.

The comparison is nearly pointless and for some it can color their opinion of a very fine car because the car's engine burns a quart more oil in X number of miles than someone else's car.

As the saying goes: There is always a faster car. This also can be modified to: There is always someone whose engine burns less oil. Or less gas. Or is quieter. Or cost less. Or you name it, excels in a way your car doesn't.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default oh my oil

+1 on Macster's answer

relinuca
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
DB's997
Racer

When I fill up with gas, the dash reading automatically shows. Today it showed the oil level to be half way between top and bottom of the dash gauge.
When I check the dip stick, it shows full to the top when cold. Ignore the dash guage after fill up?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

A physical check will always be more reliable than a sensor. If you read the dipstick cold, how could the sensor possibly be MORE accurate?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
DB's997
Racer

Is the dash guage completely useless, a waste of time?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

no... it's a rough indication, and if you don't want to get dirty, it's handy to have. But if you're managing your oil level to .25 quarts, dipstick rules
Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DB's996
Is the dash guage completely useless, a waste of time?
In the 996 turbo, the dash is the only way. so go figure...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I just don't obsess over my oil any more. I've had the car for 8 years, and I don't even check. I change the oil every 3k, for me that works out to once/year. If it's down half a quart, the universe will continue it's entropic path anyway
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Macster on target again=great answer. I agree with his other statements also about faster,better, mods etc it gets very tireing to me /I love all cars I have even had a Pinto and a vega and enjoyed both for what they were lol.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by leedav
A physical check will always be more reliable than a sensor. If you read the dipstick cold, how could the sensor possibly be MORE accurate?
Not necessarily. Mistakes can be made with the dipstick method. Also, since it is inconvenient many people do not bother checking the oil level until it is too late.

And the oil level checking process with a dipstick... Lame is the best I can come up with.

Open the engine cover, get out and lift it open while avoiding brushing one's clean clothes against the back of the car a very dirty place, find the dipstick, a towel to wipe it off with remove the thing wipe it off shove it back in the hole and make sure the thing threads all the way down with no jamming remove it again and squint in the bad light of the gas station to ensure the level is somewhere on the tell tale tip. Then be sure you do not have any oily dirt on your fingers.

Lame. Lame. Lame.

While my Boxster has a dipstick and the e-oil level system I rely upon the e-oil level system all the time save when I change the oil I use the dip stick just to confirm there's some oil in the engine. (Even though I count the empty oil bottles I can't resist the double check. OTOH, my Turbo doesn't even have a dipstick so I just count the empties, twice.)

And for the Turbo I just rely upon, can only rely upon the e-oil level system.

I can check the oil level inside of my car and nearly anytime I want to unless the engine is off/cold or the car not level. The Boxster system has a few limitations but compared to the dip stick they are worlds less onerous.

E-oil level system? Wonderful piece of kit.

Dipstick? It belongs with the buggy whip, 4 function calculators, pre-remote control TVs: In the trash can of history.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 996 Oil level/checking