Sponsored by:

Anyone have a spare orange cap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
teoulennon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a spare orange cap?

From what I understand Niagara plastics is no longer offering samples.
I'd rather not use a shaving cream cap or purchase a silicone tube for $100 bucks from Schnell and use pvc.
Anyone?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Viper6
Racer

What cap are you talking about? Clue me in, I'm not following you man...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
What cap are you talking about? Clue me in, I'm not following you man...
Search is your friend man..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cap-users.html
http://www.smiley.net/orangecap.htm
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Any building supply , Lowes, Home Depot... plumbing section by the ABS fittings look for a plumbing test cap, i think 1 1/4" but could be 1 1/2". about a buck or two.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep. any supply place has em. I think I still have my black cap laying around somewhere...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
teoulennon
Intermediate

Great, thanks for the info, I'll check out lowes tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It would seem to me that when Porche Designers added an air bypass hose on their engine it was there for a good reason. By adding the orange cap to block this intake surely must interfere with design and consequently the smooth running of the engine in some way down the line. The mod doesnt make sense to me. If the bypass was not needed, would not the designers simply just delete the bypass hose thereby achieving a better sounding engine and therefore use less material and time on constructing the engine. I don't know what to think about some of these mods. Free for how long I wonder ??????? My engine purrs like a kitten. I think I will give this so called mod a miss. If you want a louder sounding engine, then buy an effin motor bike.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
It would seem to me that when Porche Designers added an air bypass hose on their engine it was there for a good reason. By adding the orange cap to block this intake surely must interfere with design and consequently the smooth running of the engine in some way down the line. The mod doesnt make sense to me. If the bypass was not needed, would not the designers simply just delete the bypass hose thereby achieving a better sounding engine and therefore use less material and time on constructing the engine. I don't know what to think about some of these mods. Free for how long I wonder ??????? My engine purrs like a kitten. I think I will give this so called mod a miss. If you want a louder sounding engine, then buy an effin motor bike.
WRONG! next.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

My engine purrs like a kitten.
Most people around here don't want to drive like a *****...

FYI: Learn about your car before 'guessing' what applications / devices do or don't do for a 996. First off, this device is called a 'Helmholtz Resonator Chamber'. The actual device is located inside the air box and must be removed to get the full value (extra airflow to filter surface as well as better sound). It is connected by the smaller Y pipe to the central point of the main intake pipe. The principal idea behind this device is noise cancellation using harmonic anti-sound resonance air pulses into the throttle body during cylinder induction.

Removing the resonator (most people don't even know it's there when installing the CAI pipe - looks like a rectangular box) and capping the outlet on the top of the air box allows the natural cly pulses to escape through the larger CAI pipe instead of the resonator canceling part of them out. There may be between 2hp and 5hp (extra) difference between the brands of CAI but it's main popularity is for the different engine note and for added 'volume' of sound particularity at WFO. It does not affect emissions nor harm your engine. It costs under $100 on avg and does not harm ***** cats in any way.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Christ we always get one that knows everything. Read this smarty. http://www.smiley.net/orangecap.htm or is this guessing?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Christ we always get one that knows everything. Read this smarty. http://www.smiley.net/orangecap.htm or is this guessing?
Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit is it? I was referring to your quote,
'By adding the orange cap to block this intake surely must interfere with design and consequently the smooth running of the engine in some way down the line.'
NOT where to find a freaking plastic cap.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

"smartest guy in the room syndrome is highlighted by the inability to ever acknowledge you might have been wrong.

enjoy your retentiveness........
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

I can think of a great place to insert that plastic cap if i was given the chance and it's no where near a Porsche engine. Nuff said.lol
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Niagra plastics is right here in town... Look for the orange cap soon on ebay $10 shipped
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

I can think of a great place to insert that plastic cap if i was given the chance and it's no where near a Porsche engine. Nuff said.lol
Never challenge someone with such a statement when you know nothing about their background...

Quick Reply: Anyone have a spare orange cap?