996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How To Replace Leaking Rear High Pressure Power Steering Hose 1999 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

"Now pat yourself on the back and think twice before emailing Porsche for a service quote."

Don't forget to smile as you check your wallet, pocket, or bank acct. balance (wherever it is that you like to keep your cash!)
Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this same issue, but on the low side, or return line. Do you know if the fitting is set up the same as the high side? I bought both the flexible hose from the pump and hard line going forward to the mid-chassis connector as used parts off a 2004 Cabrio. I did not know to look for or ask the owner of the parts car if he had seen a teflon ring in the low side fitting. Either it was never there or it is missing. I measured the groove and it is only 2mm wide, so I don't see any way that a teflon ring plus an o-ring fits inside. Porsche wants to sell me the complete fitting for $150. Ouch. Maybe the low side only uses the teflon ring. Has anyone repaired their low side p/s fitting that can help me out?
Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by iwanta996
I have this same issue, but on the low side, or return line. Do you know if the fitting is set up the same as the high side? I bought both the flexible hose from the pump and hard line going forward to the mid-chassis connector as used parts off a 2004 Cabrio. I did not know to look for or ask the owner of the parts car if he had seen a teflon ring in the low side fitting. Either it was never there or it is missing. I measured the groove and it is only 2mm wide, so I don't see any way that a teflon ring plus an o-ring fits inside. Porsche wants to sell me the complete fitting for $150. Ouch. Maybe the low side only uses the teflon ring. Has anyone repaired their low side p/s fitting that can help me out?
Do you have the Bentley Repair manual? I recall seeing it pictured and described.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:02 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Do you have the Bentley Repair manual? I recall seeing it pictured and described.
Bill, sorry I did not see your reply. I don't have a Bentley, but I can find "sections" of it free on the net. I thought I fixed the low-side leak with new o-rings, but it leaks again now. The leak is actually coming from the hard line behind (or forward) of the parts we have all been repairing, i.e. the quick-connect couplings. It leaks even after I replaced the female coupling with a brand new one from the dealer (I managed to get a discount since I'm a rebuilder). So, both my old and new female couplings are not leaking, but the "collar" or male side of the quick connect coupling is loose and spins around the metal line. That's where the leak is. Also, both the high and low pressure couplings have slight front to back movement after they are connected when I hold the front line and gently pull on the couplings. Is that normal? Am I missing an o-ring between the female two-piece section and the male side? That would make it have three o-rings. Not sure if anyone has that setup on their 996.

If I have to cut off the male side, where do I find a replacement for it? And do I need to flare it, or do you or anyone know of a male compression fitting that fits into the stock Porsche female side. The Porsche dealers only sell the complete rear line, # 996-347-539-53 which connects to the front line section, just in front of the right rear wheel, under the chassis. I have to remove the engine to install it.

Quick Reply: How To Replace Leaking Rear High Pressure Power Steering Hose 1999 996