Sponsored by:

First DE event

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DE event

Ok, I think i'm going to try my DE outing at Pocono raceway in the middle of September and I have some questions.

1. Helmelt - open face or full face?
2. Brand of Helmelt you would recommend. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for safe. I'm thinking Bell sportman its like $280 as a good first choice.
3. I'm not totally sold on doing DE and may only do autocrosses in the future and I've been told open face is the way to go.
4. Should I tape up the font bumper with blue tape and lights? I saw this last year at pocono. And is it just regular painters tape?
5. Any other advice you think someone who has never tried a DE should know.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

I would add gloves and buy a full face helmet. White color instead of black so it does not get as hot.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

See my responses in bold below:

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
Ok, I think i'm going to try my DE outing at Pocono raceway in the middle of September and I have some questions.

1. Helmelt - open face or full face?

I prefer full face. It might get hotter in there but if you want to protect your head, protect all of it.

2. Brand of Helmelt you would recommend. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for safe. I'm thinking Bell sportman its like $280 as a good first choice.

I have a Bell. Great fit and quality compared to the cheap knock-off I purchased the first time around. Get a good helmet and it'll make for a better experience.

3. I'm not totally sold on doing DE and may only do autocrosses in the future and I've been told open face is the way to go.

Open face might give you more visibility and comfort but even during autocross I still used my full helmet and have no problems seeing what I need to see. Plus once you do a DE the autocross will seem like just a warm-up to you.

4. Should I tape up the font bumper with blue tape and lights? I saw this last year at pocono. And is it just regular painters tape?

This is a personal preference. I did it on mine for the first couple of DEs because I wanted to keep my car pristine. But eventually I stopped caring and now go as-is. The car is going to get some rock chips and rubber flying on the paint. If you want it to stay perfect then go ahead and do this, otherwise wear your scars with pride.

5. Any other advice you think someone who has never tried a DE should know.

Stay hydrated, check your ego in at the front gate, and listen to your instructor. After that relax and have fun!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

1. full face bell will do just fine
2. no blue tape please
3. bring a chair and food
4. learn flags and passing rules
5. leave ego at home
6. enjoy... its very addictive. once you go DE I doubt you will want to autocross much
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. I would get a full face helmet that is certified for auto racing (includes more fire protection than a MC helmet I think)

2. Bell is good. I got a Simpson on sale and it fits my head good. Sizing is probably most important.

3. Dunno anything about AX but I can't imagine not being hooked on the track

4. No.

5. Have fun! Read this! http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Begin..._to_track_days

Oh and one last thing...if you have a family go ahead and apologize for the obscene amount of money you will soon be spending on this addiction.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Buy some Mother's R3 for the rubber marks that get on the car. Works like magic.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

my .02

borrow a helmet until you have a better idea of your path, but if you buy go for the best fit, don't shop on price. They may have some loaners at the track, check ahead of time.

Use all the tape you want, the more track events you do the less tape you will use.

Read and re-read the DE rules.

Relax, you'll have a great time and meet some great people.

and like Globe said, R3 is your friend.

Good luck, you will love it!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

All good points above. Drink water all the time. When it turns yellow its too late. Make friends with someone who shows up with a canopy tent. Most of all keeps your eyes, ears and head open. Have a great time!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some great advice here. How many drive to and from the DE, vs trailer ?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I track my DD so she takes me to the track and back home.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

REMOVE EVERYTHING that's not attached to the car. EVERYTHING.
They will make you remove it all at the track.

Make sure you have fresh brake fluid.
remember - it's NOT racing.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

All the above is good advice. For your first event, go get your car teched..... borrow a helmet, (in case this ain't for you and/or you prefer to play golf. Listen to your instructor, be observent, most of all have a lot of fun, repeat, as necessary.
Once you decide that this "hobby" is your cup of tea, then you can decide the level of comfort, expense and safety you are willing to commit to continue pursuing this passion. The slope is slippery and steep.......but wait until after your first event before you :"step-up."
As for trailering verses driving, for 5 years I drove back and forth, has its advantages simple, uncluttered...now I trailer, more gear, (of course) + more gas, but I still enjoy it and don't see myself goign back. But, it is a personal decision as to what level you want to attain to pursue the passion.
Just go and enjoy.
We will all be happy you help you spend your future earnings once the hook is set.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Buy some Mother's R3 for the rubber marks that get on the car. Works like magic.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html
Thanks for the tip. I've been fighting with several marks since my last event and wasn't aware of this stuff.

-Shawn
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Arai would be my first choice of helmet if you want the best. I used and used up a few in 8 years of motorcycle roadracing.

The biggest mistake I've seen people may is trying to go fast, too fast. This will only make you look like a fool. You need to learn to be smooth to go fast. You need to go slow to learn to be smooth. Be smooth and speed will come.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: First DE event