Sponsored by:

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch Noise

So I only heard this this morning when I fired it up. Hoping to gain a bit of insight here as to whats happening.
With the clutch fully depressed to the floor, its making an almost grinding sound. At the very least Id say its more like a rubbing sound. The sound only happens in the last 1" or so of stroke till its fully depressed. Other than that its fine.

Heres a link to the sound...

http://youtu.be/yPa31Vr5TYM

Car has 110k km. Just had motor oil and trans fluid changed last week. Is my clutch getting ready to go kaput? Take it to my indie asap? Drive it?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would guess throw out bearing.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Easy fix or is the whole thing gonna need to come apart?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Easy fix or is the whole thing gonna need to come apart?
Copy that on the TO bearing.

Whether the fix is easy or not depends on whether you consider removing the transmission is easy. It's kind of a fun job, not crazy difficult, but you have to be committed.

It definitely needs to come apart if and when you decide to fix it, and that's the point here. You wouldn't go in *just* for a noisy-ish throwout bearing.

It probably won't fail catastrophically, and even if it does it wont do a lot of damage - but it will strand you.

The other thing to consider is that when you go in, you will absolutely want to replace the clutch and maybe the flywheel, and probably the AOS, and the clutch slave....the time to do it is while you're in there. Figure on $3K at least depending a lot on if the flywheel is replaced.

Just a few months ago my clutch went from feeling fine with no noises to a failed spring plate in one afternoon. That was at 190K kilometres, but since the motor was replaced by the PO at 70K kilometres, I am assuming that a new clutch was installed then also, so the clutch had 120K kilometres on it.

I don't abuse clutches, so if you ask me a failure around 110K kilometres shouldn't be a surprise.

I'd say don't panic just yet - drive it over to the indy if the noise gets a little worse, or right away if you just want to make it right. You'll be spending the money soon anyway.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Lol thanks jasper.
Was it wrong of me to want my clutch to kick it soon so i could do the LN upgrade as soon as possible?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Lol thanks jasper.
Was it wrong of me to want my clutch to kick it soon so i could do the LN upgrade as soon as possible?
Haha - totally not. Of course while you're in there you can replace that too!

In fact when my clutch failed that's exactly what I told my passenger - "hey great news - my clutch just failed!" I think I named the thread which follows my project the same also.

BUT - it was not to be for me. Turns out that the reman engine installed in my car in 2005 was a M97 not an M96 - and these have a different IMS design which can not be upgraded from the outside. This was Porsche's answer to the problem which they by then were fully aware of.

My IMS and RMS were bone dry - I left them as they were.

Good luck to ya ! Remember - if you have a problem that can be solved with money then you don't have a problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the very same issue in my '02 C4 Cab....got in there and did the throw out, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and RMS - IMS was in good condition, actually had the pan checked and the oil filter for filings and no issues per my Indy.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 809 Posts

My car did the exact same thing about a month and a half ago while sitting in traffic on my way home from work, it went from silent to sounding like a supercharger spooling up whenever I pushed in the clutch. I parked the car after that to weigh my options for how to deal with it. After about a week or so I needed to move the car around the driveway so I started it up and the noise was gone. Been driving it ever since and hasn't made a sound. Go figure.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Dont you just love it when mechanical issues sort themselves out all on their own!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Funny...took it out last night and no clutch noise!
Although when i returned home the noise was back

Quick Reply: Clutch Noise