996vs993 expenses

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996vs993 expenses

I need some help from you guys, please help me to make a right decision;

If you compare say 2002 996 with 1998 993, both well maintained and same mileage, say 65-75k miles:

- Which would be more difficult and more expensive to do a regular DIY maintenance like oil, filters, plugs, brakes, belts etc.

- When done professionally which car would be cheaper to rebuild transmission (6 sp), clutch, AC service/repairs, exhaust replace/cat bypass, investigating and correcting electronic malfunctions etc.

- Finally, how much is 993 engine rebuilding and, taken care properly which engine will last longer on average (please disregard RMS and IMS issue as far as 996 goes).

Is it true that generally the build quality is markedly better on 993?

I apologize for all these annoying questions but honest answers will greatly help to steer me in the right direction.

One more; general satisfaction coming from enjoying and utilizing both cars is not an issue here and I see and appreciate their differences in this area.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

never owned a 993 but I have heard they are harder to work on than the 996.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The 996 will be easier to DIY maintenance, perhaps a bit cheaper as well.

The 993 has better build quality and materials, fit/finish.

Transmission rebuild costs..?

Other stuff comparable.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paying my dues...

I had two 993s (a Tip and then a 6-speed) before buying my current '99 cab w/hardtop a few years ago. Here are my observations:
    1. I have not noted any general differences in build quality or materials. Oh, there are differences alright, but they are differences attributable to vintage vs. modern.
    2. I have had two cooling system problems with the 996. Advantage = 993.
    3. The 996 is the more comfortable touring car...and has an excellent a/c system.

relinuca
    Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
    Dennis C
    Rocky Mountain High
    Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

I love the 993, but I wouldn't buy one for a daily driver. I have no issues at all driving my 996 every day.
    Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
    dotframe
    Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've read that an air-cooled engine rebuild is pretty pricey, but then again so is a quality 996 engine rebuild.
    Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
    TomF
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

I've had both. The 993 is okay as a daily driver. The 996 is much, much better. As for maint costs- the 996 is less expensive parts-wise, but the they are tied when it comes to DIYs. Some might argue that less spark plugs, etc.. equates to less maintenance, but I think they are about the same. The 993 engine is a much better quality engine- period. Re. the build quality- I would say that the 996 is "built" just as good as the 993, the issue IMHO is that Porsche chose to go with letter quality parts in some places on the 996 and it just doesn't feel as solid. Many of the plastic components on the engine deteriorate much quicker than their 993 counterparts. So the "build" quality is the same, the parts quality in some places is lacking on the 996. Which do I prefer? Apples to pineapples... they both are fantastic cars. I would love to have a 993 for a fun car and a 996 for a DD!
    Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM
    laz74
    Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchase price alone, a 98 993 will set you back WAY more than a 996. About 1.5x, if not double, the price.
    Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
    LordVicious
    Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the 993 but there is no argument the 996 is the more modern vehicle. Contrary to many opinions I have read here and on other forums, the air-cooled engines will not go the distance as compared to the water boxers. Air cooled motors will require overhalls/rebuilds at something less than 100k miles typically. If your looking for a daily driver the 996 is the way to go, no question about it. If on the other hand you are looking for more of an investment vehicle the 993 has probably bottomed out price-wise and is of course still a major head-turner. If you are looking for more of a garage queen or retirement vehicle the 993 is worth considering.

Build quality on the coachwork is nearly identical. Interior fit and finish is also very comparable between the two models (assuming of course full leather interiors.) The plastic touch parts on the 996 took a bit of a nose dive but who the heck buys a 911 and doesn't go with a full leather cockpit? The air cooled engines were considered hand-built high precision jewel boxes, the water cooled are more or less built by robots with some hand assembly and quality control at the end. None of which really matters as the end result is what it is (see above.) Hope this helps.
    Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
    quickxotica
    Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Setting aside the difference in purchased price, the routine maintenance costs are probably close enough that LUCK (or a lack thereof) will be the decisive factor in which costs you more over your ownership period. Major repairs are rare, but so expensive that if they happen to you it will blow any difference in normal maintenance costs out the window.

Again setting aside purchase price, based on the above you should buy whichever model you enjoy driving more. They drive very differently from one another, especially on the street... so you ought to be able to pick a favorite.
    Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
    Shark Attack
    Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you are going to find more helpful DIY people with the 96. The 93 is still owned by a lot of people that eat caviar and dont know what a screwdriver is. Where the 96 becasue of the IMS scare and the fact it is water cooled (the wanna-be diehards don't like) the 96 is falling into the hands of more DIY people. The 96 is also the cheaper car to purchase.

Quick Reply: 996vs993 expenses