Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Rebuild

Getting ready to do a rebuild on my calipers. The left front has turned a dark gold from the stock silver on a C4 and the front right is close behind. This is due to the seals with in the caliper failing and the fact I DE a 13 yr old car. I have the seals coming from Chris Whaley and been watching Van's YouTube vid of the DIY. I will also be painting the calipers with the G2 system. Here in lies the question....the Porsche logo needs to be added after I paint. Would you use a high temp vinyl sticker or use a stencil and paint? What say you?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The Porsche stickers work well and way easier than getting a perfect stencil done on all 4 calipers. Not sure what the G2 system entails but when I painted my front calipers I clear coated over the stickers and it's held up just fine. now my rears are orange with no clear left so I'll have to do those at some point.

By the way, How's the DE season going up there?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pete, I'm heading up to Putnam this weekend. You going?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsowen
Hey Pete, I'm heading up to Putnam this weekend. You going?
David..wish I was but the brakes need some help. That is weekend I plan on tackling it. I could stop by for moral support though.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hardback
The Porsche stickers work well and way easier than getting a perfect stencil done on all 4 calipers. Not sure what the G2 system entails but when I painted my front calipers I clear coated over the stickers and it's held up just fine. now my rears are orange with no clear left so I'll have to do those at some point.

By the way, How's the DE season going up there?
Carey- What type of clearcoat did you use? The DE season so far is great. Done 2. I have Harry's LapTimer and it works great as tool to see where I can work on improvements. Wanted to sign up for one next weekend but the brakes have been giving me soft pedal at the end of the day. Its time to do some maintenance.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I just noticed that ECS tuning (I am not affiliated) has a clearance sale on new oem calipers (well, one side). Maybe you can E-mail them to see if you can get better pricing on the side that isn't on sale too..Might be worth it for new parts (no need to paint and rebuild) seing as you can probably sell your oem calipers in need of a rebuild for a faire amount in the classifieds to make up for a good difference. Just a thought.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-199...king/Calipers/
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

That is a great option! Thanks for that but I'm going with the rebuild......big part of it is I can rebuild both fronts for $300. Seals / Caliper paint / stickers. Plus I just want to learn how to do it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Pete:
good luck with the rebuild I will be interested to hear how it goes for you, I hope smooth and easy. GL and keep on trackin'.
R\
Scott
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey post pictures with DIY. Would like to see!!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
Hey post pictures with DIY. Would like to see!!
Will do. Looking at Van's DIY it really looks straight forward. Take a peek. Have to say without RL I would have never thought to do this.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That's a great DIY. My calipers are in excellent shape but because of high mileage I might do a rebuild myself this winter when everything is appart.

Take lots of pics for us!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 AM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just painted my calipers red, and I used the PORSCHE decals from Suncoast - http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//caliperdecal.html

Sandblasted the calipers down to bare aluminum, rebuilt with fresh seals, sprayed with VHT Caliper Paint (Real Red), applied the decals (3" White), then clear coated with VHT Caliper Paint Gloss Clear. They came out great!

Just take your time applying the decals. I used blue painter's tape applied across the length of the caliper body as a guide. Mark the center point of the caliper on the tape and on the decal, then line up the points and apply the base of the decal along the edge of the tape. I've seen too many DIY jobs ruined by misaligned decals.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Carey- What type of clearcoat did you use? The DE season so far is great. Done 2. I have Harry's LapTimer and it works great as tool to see where I can work on improvements. Wanted to sign up for one next weekend but the brakes have been giving me soft pedal at the end of the day. Its time to do some maintenance.
Pete, I don't remember which clear we used but as another member just post VHT makes a high temp caliper paint and clear coat. I use harry's timer as well. I've found the app to be pretty accurate. Good luck on the rebuild. As our cars age it's really important to maintain critical components, especially if your tracking. I'm heading to sebring this weekend which is notoriously hard on brakes.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Pete, you think the yellowing of the calipers is due to heat? Are you running gt3 brake coolers?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
Pete, you think the yellowing of the calipers is due to heat? Are you running gt3 brake coolers?
Ferd....The caliper starting discoloring before I added GT3 brake ducts. The heat has damaged the seals. For a 13 year old car with 110,000 miles that ain't bad.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Rebuild