996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cabrio Top & Window Issue - Window not moving out of the way to close and seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 AM
bradschauf
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cabrio Top & Window Issue - Window not moving out of the way to close and seal

Just noticed today that the drivers side window is no longer moving down automatically when I open or close the door with the top up. The passenger window still works fine. It seems to also roll up all the way so that when the door is closed (since it does not roll down and then back up) the window ends up on the outside of the top seals. Not good.

Usually, the window moves down about a quarter of an inch to get out of the way when you operate the handle. Not doing that anymore apparently.

Anyone had this issue before?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bradschauf
Just noticed today that the drivers side window is no longer moving down automatically when I open or close the door with the top up. The passenger window still works fine. It seems to also roll up all the way so that when the door is closed (since it does not roll down and then back up) the window ends up on the outside of the top seals. Not good.

Usually, the window moves down about a quarter of an inch to get out of the way when you operate the handle. Not doing that anymore apparently.

Anyone had this issue before?
I checked the operation procedure of my cab with the engine not running. The top was down. I put the ignition key in the drivers door and held it to the left. The window on the drivers door is full down at this point. As I held the key, the top came up, locked in and then the windows came up (Which incates that the top has completed its operation). I removed the key and I then lifted the door handle and the window dropped about a quarter of an inch enough for me to open the door (which I didnt at this point). As I let go of the handle, the window returned to the full up position again. Then as I put the key back into the door and held it to the right this time, The window dropped full down and the top fully opened as I held the key. When the top was full down the windows start to come up to let me know that the opening procedure was ended so I let go of the key and turned it again to the left this time the windows went full down and the top started to come up again until it fully locked in and the windows started to come up again. The movement of the windows act as a signal to say that the top is at its full opened or closed position. For all this procedure to work correctly the battery has to be fully charged so if I was you I would check that first. If it doesnt work as mine is doing then first check that your battery is fully charged up. If you have the same problem then it has to be something behind the drivers door handle inside the door somewhere. BTW with the car unlocked and the top up, if you lift the passenger door handle the window should drop a quarter inch and as you let go of the handle, the window should return to the fully closed position. It appears from your posting that it used to work correctly then all of a sudden it didn't which may indicate a low battery. ONLY MAYBE but its worth checking the battery before you start taking off the inside of your drivers door looking for another fault. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
bradschauf
Rennlist Member

I will check the battery, but as the passenger window works fine, dont think thats it.

Only problem I am having is that the windows is not moving that quarter of an inch when either door handle (interior or exterior) is operated to get out of the way so the door can be opened or closed. Top function (open and closing with full window movement) is fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
bradschauf
Rennlist Member

Found this thread via search... sounds like window regulator.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ting-door.html
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep, I think it's a common problem. There are multiple threads on this subject.

Quick Reply: Cabrio Top & Window Issue - Window not moving out of the way to close and seal