Sponsored by:

Got a tow vehicle, now need a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Got a tow vehicle, now need a trailer

I will be picking up a 2003 suburban 1500 for a tow vehicle, which is nicely optioned with the tow package, 4wd, and a transmission cooler. The 8100lb towing capacity is plenty for the 911 but now I need to pick up a trailer.

The trailex 7541 is a natural choice but new with a tire rack and winch is over $8k! What is everyone else using trailer-wise for their 996?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

With that size truck, you are best off going with an aluminum trailer. Even with a bigger truck, aluminum is still the best if you can spare the coin. I had a Trailex. There were things I liked, and things I didn't. I sold it and picked up a Featherlight, which I prefer. It has a lower deck and lighter ramps. It weighs more, but it seems to tow "better". I think it's because the car sits lower and as a result has less wind resistance. Both are great products, I just like the Featherlight better. You're going to pay through the nose for a new one. If you watch Rennlist and racingjunk.com, you may be able to pick up a good used aluminum trailer for around $4000-$6000 depending upon how it's tricked out.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you looking for open or closed? If closed, I have a 2000 Pace Shadow GT, 24', that I'm selling. It grosses at about 7,000 lbs. with extra tires, a full tool chest, nitrogen bottle, and my 944 turbo racer that weighed 3,000 lbs.

PM me if interested.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a brake controller, but also, at it's limit you won't be happy. About the most you can comfortably tow with that vehicle over any distance is 5k. don't even think about hitting any mountain passes with it above that.

Seriously. I have a ranch. Cattle trailers, horse trailers, hay trailers, etc. I also have boats. I know about towing.

Find a light weight aluminum flat bed, and get a good cover for the car. You will be fine.

The problem with an enclosed trailer is the extra weight and the wind resistance. If you want to go that route, find a good 3/4 or 1 ton Turbo diesel. You will be much happier.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
You'll need a brake controller, but also, at it's limit you won't be happy. About the most you can comfortably tow with that vehicle over any distance is 5k. don't even think about hitting any mountain passes with it above that.

Seriously. I have a ranch. Cattle trailers, horse trailers, hay trailers, etc. I also have boats. I know about towing.

Find a light weight aluminum flat bed, and get a good cover for the car. You will be fine.

The problem with an enclosed trailer is the extra weight and the wind resistance. If you want to go that route, find a good 3/4 or 1 ton Turbo diesel. You will be much happier.
Good advice here.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto the recommendation for the right towing vehicle. I towed my 1800lb Sonett with an open trailer using our 04 Honda Pilot which claimed a towing capacity of 3500lbs. Let's just say I was glad I'd been dieting before the trip. I know it's apples and oranges to the Suburban but the 996 doesn't weigh 1800lbs and I was only looking to tow it once. if you're buying a truck to tow with regularly, then I'd give SSST's advice some thought.

-Eric
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

A Suburban can tow a 996 on an aluminum trailer. But you need to go with aluminum. If you start getting into heavier steel trailers, you will not be happy. I've towed with virtually every brand of 1/2 ton pickups without issue, but that was with the 996 on a Trailex.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Like the others suggest, ideally you wouldn't even approach the total towing capacity of that Suburban because you won't be happy. There's no way I'd tow 8100 lbs very far with a half-ton vehicle. Keep the trailer as light as you can and you should be fine, though.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 996 that I trailered on a Carmate open steel trailer. The trailer weighed in at 1800lbs and the can be found used for $1500-$2000. My tow vehicle was a GMC Sierra which was rated for 7200lbs. I had a prodigy brake controller and the truck towed the 996 just fine. If I had the spare $4,000-$6,000 for a used aluminum open trailer I would go that route but it wasn't in the budget. Turns out the open steel works just fine for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going to chime in here and I know that I am going to get flamed, so be it!
One thing you need to ask yourself is just how often you think you will be towing each season and how far? I will tow about 5/6 time per year and I am using my V6, 4WD, 6speed Tacoma with a steel trailer and this tows my 996 C2. My vehicle is rated to 6500 lbs and my tow weight is approx. 5100 lbs.

THIS IS NOT IDEAL, but it does work just fine, for me.

I have a prodigy P2 brake controller. Yes, the truck is dodgy up long hills, but it does get there. I have a little computer that monitors a bunch of stuff. Engine load is never over 70%, (on hills) and the temp was just fine on the thruway, last week, in 94F the on the way back from the Glen. I have the brake bias set more towards the trailer, but even a heavier truck will still have stopping issues. It is not how much the truck can tow really, but the ability to stop is even more important. Yes, I do wish I had an aluminum trailer but this particular set-up does work. Definately not for everyday, regular towing but for the few times each year, it does work. Besides, the little truck gets decent gas mileage and I do not need a big truck, for everyday driving.
Again, not ideal, just my .02 Something for your consideration. GL.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM
harddock
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into Tommys Trailers - They offer aluminum open or with a vinyl enclosure. I have an open and it's been from Maine to Texas and points in between/

As for the Suburban, You'll have plenty of tow capacity. Brake controller for the electric brakes and if you go the enclosed trailer get a weight distrabution hitch. Once you learn the sweet spot for where on the trailer where the car needs to be it will be smooth sailing.

Last edited by harddock; 06-27-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I am set on the Suburban because, well, it is going to be free. It also already has a brake controller installed.

I have towed on an open steel before and it's not bad, but I really would prefer the aluminum. Ideally I'll find a used aluminum one. I haven't been on racingjunk before but will check that out.

I intend to tow at least once a month on average for autocross. I probably won't tow more than across town most of the time but occassionally I'll do long trips from FL to NC or something like that. If not for the weight, I would love an enclosed trailer, but I'm leaning towards an open featherlite or trailex. Any other good brands?

Doug, does the enclosed trailer include the 944 race car? (=
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.kendonusa.com/folding-car-trailer.htm
I've been dreaming of this Kendon folding trailer since I saw it in Sports Car mag
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Doug, does the enclosed trailer include the 944 race car? (=
Sorta want to keep that. But there is a 2000 F-250 Superduty Diesel that goes with the trailer.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Well a 250 superduty sounds awesome but the suburban is already a done deal. That folding trailer looks pretty cool! I haven't been on racingjunk.com before; I see another IB site. I will likely pick up a used open aluminum trailer there; I saw a couple of good candidates below the $5k mark.

A little OT:
Balefire, am I going to see you at nationals next year? I'm going all in this year prepping for serious competition. Truck, trailer, OZ alleggeritas, swaybar. I think I'm going to get a set of BFG R1-S before I jump straight into Hoosier A6s. Depending on how it goes this year I may get some custom dampers from Fordahl motorsports for next year. I'm going for the gold!

Quick Reply: Got a tow vehicle, now need a trailer