Sponsored by:

Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
machbx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
This entire thread is confusing. If I understand correctly - machbx sued PCNA over the intermediate shaft bearing issue and ended up on a "television court" program? Is that correct? And from the sound of it, you won based on testimony from a Porsche expert witness? What did you win?

Or was this while thing sarcastic? I'm confused...
I was asked to settle my court case w a car salesman on a court tv show. Bc it was regarding my dual stage flywheel they asked an engineer from PNA to explain the "part" to the judge and how it failed. I did win. (not for being stupid, tho was, stupid).
The thing I thought I would share is that this man has been an engineer for Porshe for 20 year - other german cars b4 that. When I was waiting for our cars to take us to airport, I finally got a chance to ask him about the whole ISMB debacle. Unrelated to why we were there. We talked about for a few minutes. I had heard here, and other forums, that PNA won't disclose they numbers of bad bearings and claim any stats on the IM
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by machbx
I was asked to settle my court case w a car salesman on a court tv show. Bc it was regarding my dual stage flywheel they asked an engineer from PNA to explain the "part" to the judge and how it failed. I did win. (not for being stupid, tho was, stupid).
The thing I thought I would share is that this man has been an engineer for Porshe for 20 year - other german cars b4 that. When I was waiting for our cars to take us to airport, I finally got a chance to ask him about the whole ISMB debacle. Unrelated to why we were there. We talked about for a few minutes. I had heard here, and other forums, that PNA won't disclose they numbers of bad bearings and claim any stats on the IM
So long story shorter. They know it's a problem. It was a bad design to have a sealed bearing there. The designed it out as soon as it was feasible. It could not, many times, do what it was spec'd to do. If you have an original IMSB in your M96 you should replace it. The fix so to speak is the 997 engine
Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

More correctly the fix was the 2009 DFI engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it really this difficult to speak/explain in one post....in clear English what the whole post is about!!!!
This is painful, like pulling teeth!
Pete
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by pszikla
Is it really this difficult to speak/explain in one post....in clear English what the whole post is about!!!!
This is painful, like pulling teeth!
Pete
Forget it. I already did. You can't read
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by OGWGFIW
More correctly the fix was the 2009 DFI engine.
So there ya go.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So don't - and since you don't know what you are talking about I think OFF is the general direction ...
How am I supossed to know what the hell you were talking about when you didn't bother to take the time to expain anything whatsoever in your initial post.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Racer

Bc of my cute little 911 - I got to be on Judge Alex - and got to talk to a real, expert Porsche tech who was my expert witness from LA. After the show - I wanted to ask just one question - "What did he think about the IMSB issue w the 996 & 986?" He said is a known issue. Replace it. So we can a all quit wondering now. {you're welcome}
Thanks machbx! Seems clear enough to me. Not sure why others don't get it?

So, are taking your $3500 payment and putting it back in the car with a replacement bearing....:-)
Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, seemed clear enough from start. Go on TV legal show, Porsche expert testifies re another issue, you get him to the side later and he weighs in on "the issue". Thanks, interesting story.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, thanks machbx. I understood your initial post... Clearly!!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
How am I supossed to know what the hell you were talking about when you didn't bother to take the time to expain anything whatsoever in your initial post.
Your hot!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:50 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03996
Thanks machbx! Seems clear enough to me. Not sure why others don't get it?

So, are taking your $3500 payment and putting it back in the car with a replacement bearing....:-)
Definitely
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 909 Posts

I understand it now. I simply have never heard of Judge Alex. I didn't know that was a television program, and once I realized that, I thought that machbx was involved in litigation specifically relating to the IMSB. I also thought it might be a fabricated story for ****s and giggles, but I see now that it wasn't!

As mentioned above, the early 997s use the M96 engine, and the IMSB wasn't really removed until 2009. One of the issues, however, is that there really isn't a "fix" for this issue. I agree that it's a good idea to replace the bearing, particularly with a newer ceramic design like the one from LN Engineering. However, those bearings can fail (and have) too. It's not an absolute fix. This issue is related to the design of the engine more than it is to a simple failure of a part. Will the new ceramic bearing design give you 100,000 more miles? 200,000? Hard to say...
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I understand it now. I simply have never heard of Judge Alex. I didn't know that was a television program, and once I realized that, I thought that machbx was involved in litigation specifically relating to the IMSB. I also thought it might be a fabricated story for ****s and giggles, but I see now that it wasn't!

As mentioned above, the early 997s use the M96 engine, and the IMSB wasn't really removed until 2009. One of the issues, however, is that there really isn't a "fix" for this issue. I agree that it's a good idea to replace the bearing, particularly with a newer ceramic design like the one from LN Engineering. However, those bearings can fail (and have) too. It's not an absolute fix. This issue is related to the design of the engine more than it is to a simple failure of a part. Will the new ceramic bearing design give you 100,000 more miles? 200,000? Hard to say...
Moreover he said in trials at Nurberring(?) caused other weak points in the engine that would fail bc of a stronger situation at the IMSB.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM
jackarelli
Advanced

Moreover he said in trials at Nurberring(?) caused other weak points in the engine that would fail bc of a stronger situation at the IMSB.
Now that's interesting!

Thanks for the inside info machbx

Quick Reply: Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB