Sponsored by:

ANYONE using a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ANYONE using a clear bra?

Is there anyone using a clear bra on their 996. If so where from? Photos please.....
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's clear how can you see it in a photo?

I had one on my old Boxster S, worked very well.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

ok Marc. Why not this one if the one on the boxer worked well? Was it already on the boxer when you bought the car? If not, where did you buy the bra from? And don't say 'Victorias Secret'.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read (when I searched on this) that the installer is sometimes more important than the material on these types of things.

Currently, I drive mine with full frontal nudity.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car has a clear bra on the nose, half way up the hood, on the front of the fenders, mirrors and in front of the rear wheels. A quality job like this will probably be around 600-650. At least in Ohio money

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 109 Posts

I've been pretty happy with mine (difficult or impossible to see in a picture). The material was from Xpel (http://www.xpel.com/). I've had it installed for about three years and it still looks very good despite ~10 track days and day driving year round in Boston. I do have one area of damage where a moron parked with their bumper pressed against mine. It caused a bubble in the clear film, but paint looks undamaged. The film does require occasional cleaning and polishing to keep it looking good.

-Shawn
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
ok Marc. Why not this one if the one on the boxer worked well? Was it already on the boxer when you bought the car? If not, where did you buy the bra from? And don't say 'Victorias Secret'.
It ws 3m and the dealer had put it on, I was too lazy to get one on the 996.
I guess I wont have any chips on the 996 when I get it back
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by ohioboxster
This car has a clear bra on the nose, half way up the hood, on the front of the fenders, mirrors and in front of the rear wheels. A quality job like this will probably be around 600-650. At least in Ohio money

That is amazing thanks..
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
It ws 3m and the dealer had put it on, I was too lazy to get one on the 996.
I guess I wont have any chips on the 996 when I get it back
Good God Marc you have a great attitude on this for sure. I am sure they will put everything right for you again. It would have taken one strong bra to hold that damage back.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hurdigurdiman:
I had the clear bra installed by the stealer's "guy" when I bought my car in Boston (Herb Chambers). The product was called "Venture Shield" and it came with a lifetime warranty. I still have the "hang tag." Pix don't show the product too well on a black car. There is a line across the hood (halfway up), covered the front bumper and mirrors. too.
To date, althought the install wasn't the greatest, I love the product/concept. I previously had a black A6and the front end was all chewed up (after 60K miles) with road rash and looked like ****.
On this one, the front end is looking real good despite a mark or two from track "marbles." I would highly recommend it. My .02
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had VentureShield film on my DD for 5 years now, full bumper, half hood, half fenders, full headlights, and full mirrors, there are only a couple of small chips on the film but it would have gone through the paint without the film.

On the 996 I used Xpel Ultimate film and FULL front end coverage after I had the front end repainted over the winter, it's pricy but worth it to me, may not be worth it to other folks.

And yes installer skill is more important than the film, my installer came highly recommend by my paint shop, I have a hard time convincing folks in local Porsche gatherings that there is a layer of film across the full bumper, hood, fenders and 95% of the mirrors.

Pix don't show the film installed, which is exactly how it should be!!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would get it on the front bumper only to avoid the line across the hood and fenders.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 814 Posts

I'm not a big fan of clear bra myself, mainly because even the good stuff has a bit of an "orange peel" look to it in person. Also, I don't like the lines that inevitably appear as wax and dirt build up along the edges.

For the cost of a good clear bra, you can get the front bumper resprayed every 50k miles or so.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on the bumper halfway up the hood and fenders and mirrors. Not sure of the cost it was on the car when I purchased it.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Mine also has a clear bra installed; front bumber, partial hood & front fenders, A-pillars, top of windshield, mirrors and rear wheel flare. Only part that doesn't work great are the mirrors due to too tight a radius. Been on for 5 years now and still looks great.

Quick Reply: ANYONE using a clear bra?