996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ANYONE using a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

If I had to do it again... I would just repaint rather than clear bra.... Clear bra, changes color over time on light color cars... You don't see them much on the darker colors, but the bra def discolor after awhile and have to get it removed and put a new one on.... Cheaper to repaint, I think.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a clear bra on 3 of my Porsche's and they have done their job well. All of my clear bra's were custom installed, not template models. My installer also told me to use the purest carnauba that I could find to preserve the clarity of the bra for years to come. I just had a clear bra installed on the entire front of my 964 turbo and it looks great.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
If I had to do it again... I would just repaint rather than clear bra.... Clear bra, changes color over time on light color cars... You don't see them much on the darker colors, but the bra def discolor after awhile and have to get it removed and put a new one on.... Cheaper to repaint, I think.
Sorry, have to disagree again with the generalized comment, you are correct about color shift but it's only partially correct, 3M did have problems with their earlier film, I had heard it's the adhesive yellowing and I've certainly seen enough examples of that on light color cars over the years.

However I can assure anyone who cares to listen that the 5 year old Ventureshield film on my silver color DD still has not shown any signs of yellowing, still looks and feels very smooth and shiny especially after a claying and waxing/sealing.

3M Scotch brand film still has a faint orangle peel pattern which I disliked when I made the choice to go with Ventureshield film 5 years ago, 3M has since bought Ventureshield and may have made some changes to the formulation, I'm starting to read complaints from people who claim dead bugs have etched into the Ventureshield film surface after a couple of days.

So this time around I decided to go with Xpel Ultimate film, their website www.xpel.com will have a lot of useful information about the films, it's been 3 months now since the film installation, I'm still quite happy with the result.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I just saw a 2010 that went thru auction and it had a clear bra that covered the entire hood and both front fenders. Best I ever saw. No lines. You couldn't see it. It was so good several prospective buyers ran paint meters across the front fenders and instead of realizing it had a bra, mistakenly thought the front end had been repainted. Seller thought the dealor had installed it but wasn't sure.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Be sure to cover your headlamps. When I bought my car, it had a clear bra on it and I'm glad it does. I would rather peal off the plastic and put more on than repaint my car. Each to their own; praise God we have choices.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My bumper has that just sandblasted at the track kind of look... Rubber streaks and dusty wheels....
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
I just saw a 2010 that went thru auction and it had a clear bra that covered the entire hood and both front fenders. Best I ever saw. No lines. You couldn't see it. It was so good several prospective buyers ran paint meters across the front fenders and instead of realizing it had a bra, mistakenly thought the front end had been repainted. Seller thought the dealor had installed it but wasn't sure.
That's how I had my car done, custom job and worth it.

It's not 100% perfect to my picky eyes, however it is certainly 99.99%, it's even very tough to tell any difference from the film covered fender beside the door not covered with film. I need to post pix in my "winter make-over" thread after the film is applied, just haven't had the time yet.

Post #18 and #19 of this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/673138-paint-protection-films.html provides some very good first hand info on these films.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
PDX318is
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experience with the clear bras across many different cars having managed a body shop at one point. The bras do an amazing job repelling debris. The only caveat I've seen is that bras left on for years in lots of sunlight will cause the covered and uncovered paint to fade differently. It is most noticeable with brighter colors like reds, blues, greens, yellow...It is possible to aggressively polish the hard line that appears - it just depends on the amount of clear that is left so that there is no paint popping through. 911's & Z3/Z4's showed the most contrast between the covered and uncovered portion. Having said that, I currently live in Portland and would put one on given that we have about 2 months of sunlight a year and very little street cleaning (lots of road debris).
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX318is
I have experience with the clear bras across many different cars having managed a body shop at one point. The bras do an amazing job repelling debris. The only caveat I've seen is that bras left on for years in lots of sunlight will cause the covered and uncovered paint to fade differently. It is most noticeable with brighter colors like reds, blues, greens, yellow...It is possible to aggressively polish the hard line that appears - it just depends on the amount of clear that is left so that there is no paint popping through. 911's & Z3/Z4's showed the most contrast between the covered and uncovered portion. Having said that, I currently live in Portland and would put one on given that we have about 2 months of sunlight a year and very little street cleaning (lots of road debris).
Thats what I expected. I wont be using one. Just have to grin and bare it as they say. Put it down to the joys of motoring or the pitfalls of motoring.

Quick Reply: ANYONE using a clear bra?