99 C2 Cab Soft Top Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
goldgun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 C2 Cab Soft Top Rattle

Hi Guys
i have a 1999 C2 cab just took my hardtop off(which was also making more noise then it use to when i hit bumps),now i notice my soft top is rattling and creaking more than last year,most of the noise is where it locks into the windshield,getting real annoying,any ideas or thoughts

Thanks
Albert
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I would also check renntech and look at their TSB section... lots of info there.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about those two plastic pieces that cover the manual operation of the top located at the center of the windshield?

Originally Posted by goldgun
Hi Guys
i have a 1999 C2 cab just took my hardtop off(which was also making more noise then it use to when i hit bumps),now i notice my soft top is rattling and creaking more than last year,most of the noise is where it locks into the windshield,getting real annoying,any ideas or thoughts

Thanks
Albert
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know they need to be adjusted from time to time. My Indy does it for an hour's worth of labor. They are funny things. One day a rattle and the next, quiet as a mouse. I also learned from experience that it is hard to pinpoint exactly where those cabin noises are coming from. I had the worst rattle and I was sure I had it narrowed down to the passenger door speaker box or the the airbag cover. Tried to isolate it with my wife riding shotgun. Bugged me for months. Come to find out, it was the ashtray.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
goldgun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know about 2 plastic pieces,the noises are coming from the whole front of the top that locks into the windshield
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an annoying rattle; mine was the two plastic pieces that cover the hook latching mechnism. A dab of rubbery hot glue on the "hooks" that hold the plastic pieces in place solved my problem. (but the pieces are still removable)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm confused. The only locking on my cabrio is in the middle above the windshield. That's where I've heard rattles. Did you look for the plastic pieces at the center basically in front of the rear view mirror?

Squeaking I've heard across the front where the rubber meets the frame above the windshield. I've wiped them down (the rubber at the frame and on the tip to try to rid the squeaking but during the change of seasons there has been nothing I can do about it. I believe the top actually shrinks and stretches based on moisture, heat, cold and dryness.

Originally Posted by goldgun
dont know about 2 plastic pieces,the noises are coming from the whole front of the top that locks into the windshield
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

The rattles in mine were in the mechanism near the top of the windshield. These were not squeeks, but vibration rattles. The offending pieces are shown below. You can even see that one of them in the google-searched image is loose.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 99 C2 Cab and the soft and hard top locks into 3 places. Center and the two outsides. It maybe that the outsides parts on top of the wind shield have come loose. To tighten these down you need a 4 mm alan key. They are covered by an oval plastic clip out piece which can easily be removed by a finger nail or small screw driver. Inside you will see 2 screws. Thats where the alan key comes in. Make sure they are very tight. Mine came loose and the top would not hold down. It would come up and then unlock and start to go back down again. I tightened them and solve the problem I am not saying this is your problem. Just maybe and the top would rattle I think thats if it did stay up. Worth a quick check.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

The hook should have a plastic cover on it. (996 561 787 00 01 cover cap) The one in the pic on post 8 is missing.
The two tabs out towards the edges of the top header that help align the top also should be covered with a plastic piece.
Attached Images    
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fpb111
The hook should have a plastic cover on it. (996 561 787 00 01 cover cap) The one in the pic on post 8 is missing...
Funny... I pulled that image from a thread showing how to replace the plastic cover on the hook. If you look, the guy has the hook cover in his hand. I only used that image because it showed the "oval" plastic pieces that were causing the rattle in my car. My issue wasn't related to the hook.

Good eye, though.

Quick Reply: 99 C2 Cab Soft Top Rattle