Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

catalytic converter, lemons to lemon-aid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

No it does not mean that. I am only responding for Cargraphic and AWE products not FabSpeed. And your Indy shop is correct.. There is an ~8 week wait for AWE as they are made to order.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmkazz
No it does not mean that. I am only responding for Cargraphic and AWE products not FabSpeed. And your Indy shop is correct.. There is an ~8 week wait for AWE as they are made to order.
dumb question, but is running around on a bad cat with the check engine light on for 8 weeks bad for any other part of the car?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 AM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have approximately 500 miles on my Fabspeed sportcat install. No CEL which is an improvement from my broken (rattling) stock cats.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

How does it sound inside the cab? I've been in a coupe with the full set up and it was impressive.

Did you do the mufflers too?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by losdeanos
dumb question, but is running around on a bad cat with the check engine light on for 8 weeks bad for any other part of the car?
If the cat is clogged, it can be hard on the engine. If the cat is bad for some other reason and flowing properly, it's not going to hurt anything.

You sure the cat is the issue and not your secondary O2s?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:44 AM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it sound inside the cab?
Headers, cats and Fabspeed mufflers, sounds great to me. I was surprised how much the tone changed considering that I was already running headers and their mufflers. It is difficult to describe sound and I will call it metallic. It is also louder as soon as you are off idle.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRMaroon
Headers, cats and Fabspeed mufflers, sounds great to me. I was surprised how much the tone changed considering that I was already running headers and their mufflers. It is difficult to describe sound and I will call it metallic. It is also louder as soon as you are off idle.
opps just saw your sig sounds like a nice set up. I don't have the coin to do the whole thing right now was thinking about doing the cats now and the mufflers in a few months.

I'm on the fence, a tech I like at my dealer said Fab speed all the way. Meanwhile a good indy shop said AWE is the only way to go.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Email sent...
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Are these 200 cell cats guaranteed not to burn out at the track? Some tracks have sound restrictions and well, I think the 200 cell cats and sport exhausts will be too loud
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is my review on the 200 cell Fabspeed cats:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...installed.html
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Had fabspeeds over a year with no cel.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Used ones are probably worth a bunch. They contain platinum, which is going for ~$1400/oz.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Are there any aftermarket cats that will pass smog in California? My left cat is going out too (probably will get some more life out of it but starting to rattle).
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was worried about my car passing the sniffer test here in Ohio. I have Switzer exhaust and hi flow cats on my TT. The kid took a mirror and ran it under the drivers door looking for the cat and inspecting the exhaust. It passed with flying colors. I'm sure it would've passed even if he would have known where the exhaust was located. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was no where near the engine or exhaust. Even though I really wanted to ask him how he liked the exhaust.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Diablo360
Instructor

Originally Posted by lingpoen
i was all about replacing the cats before learning of CA and the great state-evil empire's BS not allowing anything not having a C.A.R.B. stamp on it. (which no after market company is doing that i can find) i have seen several cats, left & right OEM on EBAY for 2-$300 a piece that were for a 996. That fabspeed x-pipe is hot, too bad i can't use it. I found another x-pipe made in Germany that was supposedly 200 cells instead of the 300/400 cells in the stock for $1k, same BS...can't use it either. Keep looking u will find different cats. good luck!
When I lived in SoCal a few years ago I had always run test pipes on my NSX and Viper and I will do the same for my 996 when I move back in a few months. Screw cats, they ruin the beautiful sound our flat 6 motors! If you want to run test pipes or high flow cats then do it, there are EASY ways around passing smog tests and it won't cost you that much. This is legit too, no bribes or shady stuff involved. My "exotic car friendly" muffler shop/state certified smog testing center in San Juan Capistrano custom made me a cheapo brand new catalytic convertor that had the stupid "carb" sticker. They used a popular generic high flow cat, welded it to a pipe and a flange, attached it to the one side of the header outlet and then ran the test, passed me, and then installed my test pipes again All in about an hour! All legit eh? Technically you pass the test so there are no issues. There are ways around CA's stupid smog laws as you can see....... Also I know a LOT of smog shops that ignore "carb certified" requirements as long as you pass you pass..... PM me if you want the hookup.

Also I wouldn't worry at all about getting caught with high flow cats or even test pipes after the fact. Cops will never know what kind of cats you have, and even if you have test pipes our 996's aren't that loud compared to other cars. I run catless with a fabspeed supercup exhaust and it's waaaaay quieter than my NSX and viper were without cats.

For the OP who is in Seattle, they only have state run smog centers, so there is no bending of the rules, but I believe they will let you run with high flow cats so there is no need to go with oem.....

Quick Reply: catalytic converter, lemons to lemon-aid?