Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed 200 Cell Sportcat X-Pipe Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Fabspeed 200 Cell Sportcat X-Pipe Installed!

I got around to completely installing my new Fabspeed cats and let me tell you, I love them!

The install was not as simple as I wanted it to be because unlike the factory setup with only two pieces, this configuration has four. Inevitably that means there is more to line up and more pieces that have to fit together perfectly to all work. Not difficult work by any means but can be frustrating and time consuming.

But the first time I turned the key on the car barked so loudly I thought it would be too loud for me. But then I saw that a couple of the exhaust sleeves still needed to be tightened. I did that and then it was time for the test drive.

Now my car had clogged cats before so I knew I was down on power but the car did seem to have a more immediate response to throttle input and the cats changed the sound of the exhaust by quite a bit. Before I just had the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) and it had a bit of a low pitch rumble but it increased in frequency and burbling (if that's a word) at higher RPMs. With the new cats though the sound increases in frequency and sounds "smoother" and it revs up to redline.

It does appear to be louder but not in an obnoxious Honda-with-a-fartcan type of noise. Instead it seems more GT3-like or even almost mimicking one of he Italian supercars. Actually it might also sound like a big-engined sport bike too. I'm not too great at describing sounds!

Anyway here is a Youtube video I took from my Blackberry. It's not perfect but taking videos isn't a strong suit of mine either (you get to stare at my seat since I didn't want to hold my phone while doing this):

Overall I'm ecstatic. The product appears to be of high-quality and although it was a pain to install it did so without any modification. I can't verify if it really did add any power to the car but I can confirm that it is more eager to rev and sounds great in the process.

Thumbs up for this mod!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

OK - I'm sold. I'll pick up the Fabspeed cats!

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds sweet. Thanks for the update and the install information..Ill have to add this mod to the list.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question since you had the stock cats and PSE. How much louder are these cats and the PSE? Percentage wise.

Thx
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have high flow cats as well, non fab speed, but they do improve the sound quite a bit
for me i'd say

PSE mod = OEM sound +25%
PSE + high flow cats = OEM sound +50%

with high flow cat AND the PSE mod, it can be a bit loud. always ok, but no more WOT under the radar.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds great! getting mine plus IPD Plenum and reflash done this month, cant wait.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jyoteen
Question since you had the stock cats and PSE. How much louder are these cats and the PSE? Percentage wise.

Thx
Originally Posted by philooo
I have high flow cats as well, non fab speed, but they do improve the sound quite a bit
for me i'd say

PSE mod = OEM sound +25%
PSE + high flow cats = OEM sound +50%

with high flow cat AND the PSE mod, it can be a bit loud. always ok, but no more WOT under the radar.
I would say that's about right at higher throttle. At lower throttle it is probably more like a 30% increase over baseline sound.

Now from a pure cold start the car does "bark" quite loudly. It could be because my ECU isn't quite used to it yet but for the first 20 seconds or so it did idle at around 1000 RPM. Then it calmed down and became a more reasonable idle. But when I got up at 5am this morning to head to the gym I'm sure everyone who is awake in my cul-de-sac knew I was leaving. I was the nice guy though and short-shifted to 2nd as soon as I could...

Originally Posted by Hyper911
sounds great! getting mine plus IPD Plenum and reflash done this month, cant wait.
Thanks! If you want your car to sound like a sports car I think you'll like it. After listening to it a bit I was also thinking, dare I say, that it has a hint of an air-cooled 911 sound to it as well.

Next on the list of mods is the ROW M030 suspension that comes in on Friday.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

I'm just more concerned about the police and. Of course the ability to pass sound at Laguna seca. My car isn't really stealth, but not being able to run Laguna seca would be a travesty
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I'm going to order mine in a week or so, I'll tell the Fabspeed guys about this thread... is this what you ordered:
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jyoteen
I'm just more concerned about the police and. Of course the ability to pass sound at Laguna seca. My car isn't really stealth, but not being able to run Laguna seca would be a travesty
I'm hoping since it still uses the cats that it will stay below the 92 db limit (I think that's what it is out there right?). You figure those with cat bypass are barely over the limit so hopefully with the cats it puts you right under. You may want to see if anyone else out there runs 200 cell cats with a performance exhaust so you can determine if it'll pass the test.

Originally Posted by Riad
I'm going to order mine in a week or so, I'll tell the Fabspeed guys about this thread... is this what you ordered:
That's exactly what I ordered. But I called the order in. Make sure to let them know whether you have stock mufflers or PSE because the length of the cat pipes are adjusted accordingly.

One more thing about the sound of them. I was on the highway cruising at sixth gear to work and in that case the exhaust is not really much more audible than the previous setup. Sure you always know it's there because the exhaust tone is different but in long distance driving I don't think it'll add too much additional noise.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn! Just when I told my wife that I was done with modding my 996. I guess I'll have to wait for the cats to plug.......
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Yeah it's 92db but stock 997 gt3 does not pass sound. Also, if there is a low cloud ceiling or fog, the sound is amplified. Not to mention that the county idiots stand with the microphone at the edge of the track instead of the rule that says you have to stand 50 yards from the edge.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
I'm hoping since it still uses the cats that it will stay below the 92 db limit (I think that's what it is out there right?). You figure those with cat bypass are barely over the limit so hopefully with the cats it puts you right under. You may want to see if anyone else out there runs 200 cell cats with a performance exhaust so you can determine if it'll pass the test.

That's exactly what I ordered. But I called the order in. Make sure to let them know whether you have stock mufflers or PSE because the length of the cat pipes are adjusted accordingly.

One more thing about the sound of them. I was on the highway cruising at sixth gear to work and in that case the exhaust is not really much more audible than the previous setup. Sure you always know it's there because the exhaust tone is different but in long distance driving I don't think it'll add too much additional noise.
Excellent, done!! I have the stock mufflers so I'll let them know.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone looking for Fabspeed parts, we have special Rennlist pricing on them! You can shoot us an email or PM!

Cheers

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 200 Cell Sportcat X-Pipe Installed!