996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FML, these DIY projects are killing mE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FML, these DIY projects are killing mE!

I've been a 996 owner now for a little over two months, and so far my DIY jobs have been anything but easy. Actually, I replaced the gas front and rear hood struts which was a pleasant experience. Everything else has sucked. I'm venting a little, but I do need some help.

I bought the car with an inoperable horn. The fix seemed easy enough, so I ordered the air bag retaining ring as that is what I had diagnosed the problem as being. Long story short, but one of the two screws that hold the air bag cover in place was stripped, so the project hit a dead end. The fuse was blown, and every time I put a new one in and pressed the horn, the fuse would blow.

Finally, I decided to simply try replacing the horns. Again, an easy enough project, and I wanted to clean the rads anyway.

Got the bumper off and cleaned the rads. Also, I got to work on the horns. I ordered both, but upon replacing the front-most horn (the easiest to reach), and reinserting the fuse, it worked! So I put the car back together, and never installed the horn that was located in the more rear position.

Upon putting the bumper back on, my PO's ****ty LED fixtures both had broken clips, so the light could not stay in place. This is not a daily driver, so I parked it as I hunted solutions. Its been over a week since I've driven the car, and it is a near perfect day here in NorCal so I decided to take the car for a spin. I used a small piece of electrical tape to hold the light fixtures in place. After that, I attempted to replace the fuse, but even before that, I noticed the car would not open with the remote, so I had to manually unlock the car with the key. No big deal, again, parked for over a week and I think this is normal behavior.

So then I go to put the fuse back in and every time I do, the horn blows. Not just a beep, but a full blow as long as the connection is made. WTF?!?!?! Screw it, I'm going for a drive.

So I get in the car, and now the left hand signal flashes fast. I can't see anything burned out. Hazard flashers work as expected. In fact, all lights work as expected, just a fast blink on left turn.

Man, this thing is killing me. Are these issues related? Or is the horn still bad and now I have a blinker problem.

Not sure if it has to do with the time since run, but the clock was also wrong upon starting it up as well.

OK, enough venting. Where do I start?

Thanks!

BEER!

Last edited by keytohwy; 08-21-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
I've been a 996 owner now for a little over two months, and so far my DIY jobs have been anything but easy. Actually, I replaced the gas front and rear hood struts which was a pleasant experience. Everything else has sucked. I'm venting a little, but I do need some help.

I bought the car with an inoperable horn. The fix seemed easy enough, so I ordered the air bag retaining ring as that is what I had diagnosed the problem as being. Long story short, but one of the two screws that hold the air bag cover in place was stripped, so the project hit a dead end. The fuse was blown, and every time I put a new one in and pressed the horn, the fuse would blow.

Finally, I decided to simply try replacing the horns. Again, an easy enough project, and I wanted to clean the rads anyway.

Got the bumper off and cleaned the rads. Also, I got to work on the horns. I ordered both, but upon replacing the front-most horn (the easiest to reach), and reinserting the fuse, it worked! So I put the car back together, and never installed the horn that was located in the more rear position.

Upon putting the bumper back on, my PO's ****ty LED fixtures both had broken clips, so the light could not stay in place. This is not a daily driver, so I parked it as I hunted solutions. Its been over a week since I've driven the car, and it is a near perfect day here in NorCal so I decided to take the car for a spin. I used a small piece of electrical tape to hold the light fixtures in place. After that, I attempted to replace the fuse, but even before that, I noticed the car would not open with the remote, so I had to manually unlock the car with the key. No big deal, again, parked for over a week and I think this is normal behavior.

So then I go to put the fuse back in and every time I do, the horn blows. Not just a beep, but a full blow as long as the connection is made. WTF?!?!?! Screw it, I'm going for a drive.

So I get in the car, and now the left hand signal flashes fast. I can't see anything burned out. Hazard flashers work as expected. In fact, all lights work as expected, just a fast blink on left turn.

Man, this thing is killing me. Are these issues related? Or is the horn still bad and now I have a blinker problem.

Not sure if it has to do with the time since run, but the clock was also wrong upon starting it up as well.

OK, enough venting. Where do I start?

Thanks!
I haven't an effing clue where you should start. I am more than puzzeled when it comes to the electrics on a car. When POs change or add or mess with the electrics they sometimes make mistakes and then the next owner has to suffer the consequences of their **** brain ideas. It's ok POs modding a car if they know what they are doing but obviously this brainless plebian didn't have a clue. Now unfortunately you are left to clean up the **** he has dropped in your lap. My advice is take it to a top class auto electrics guy and explain that you are completly baffled and ask him can he sort the problems out for you. Or just maybe some real reliable guy on here can really help you to sort this mess out. I honestly hope so. There are some good guys on this forum and i am sure that they will do their best to help you. Good luck my freind. I feel for you. (My advice again is:- if its got a whale tail and has been slammed down to the ground then run away)..coz it didn't stop there.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No idea where to start. I had a '99 Cab for 7 years, still have a '99 Boxster, and fortunately both were/are in good enough shape that I've had to do very little in the way of repairs, just maintenance. I've had a bunch of German cars and bikes and they certainly have their own way of doing things making working on them not very intuitive. I see you've had an MG. I've had several, Minis and Jags too. They are pleasant to wrench on.

Anyway, you'll get there!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say LED fixtures are you talking about the side marker lights? If so order some stock clear ones from Pelican and get those replaced. They could be causing your blinker problems. As for the horn, I have no clue. Maybe you jammed it in the honk position when you were messing with the retaining ring.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 AM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback/support.

Yes, I'm assuming that the horn and lights are not related. Or maybe only related in that they both happened while the bumper was off. Anyway, I'll take another crack at it. The horn worked fine, while I was working on it. I think I pulled the fuse while working on it just in case it went off and I was 18 inches from it. I hardly have any hair, I ought to try to keep my hearing. Anyway, it worked fine before the bumper was put back on.

Yes, I'll order new side lamps. Again, I fear what lies in that seemingly simple project. How were the wire modified, etc, to work with the LED side markers? Anyway, glad to take it for a ride today and again for dinner this evening.

I do love the car. Just seems each DIY has been a rathole of one thing leading to another, making projects take longer and be more expensive than they should.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Aftermarket alarm?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Aftermarket alarm?
Neither of those.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were the wires from the car to led cut and directly spliced to the led? Horn and fuse problem probably due to the ring. If the fuse is popping every time you put it in then something is grounding and setting off the fuse. The horn retainer piece probably messed up the original horn in the first place. Pm maybe we can hook up and figure this out. I'm no mechanic but have been around car electronics and pcar radios and stuff without problems. Ive replaced a coupe 10x of the steering wheels on the 986 and 996..
Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, pcar.

In some other threads I outlined my frustration with the ring replacement, as one of the screws was stripped. I think. I stopped trying for fear of doing damage. Anyway, the horns seemed to do the trick. With the bumper off before reassembly, everything worked (horn related) as it should.

Yes, I think the LED lights were spliced. Is that going to be a problem?

I may take you up on the very generous offer to meet up.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

If the oe light sockets were cut then you'll need to source out the sockets at a part store. Something is grounding causing the fuse to pop..
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

OK, good news bad news. I took the bumper off again to fiddle with the cables and see what's what.

On the good side, it appears that the lights are not spliced. See attached photo.

As for the horn, I disconnected the front horn, and put the fuse back in. A quick honk showed that it worked. And the fuse didn't blow. However, the air bag ring feels like the likely culprit. Once I wired everything back up and played some more with the horn, it seems that a tap of the horn could engage it in the "on" position, meaning the horn is blaring. No manner of tapping the horn/steering wheel again could turn it off, so I had to turn the car off. Turning the car back on, the horn is off, but pressing the horn engages it on again. Arrgghh... Thought I had this one licked. So I ordered a ring, then returned it to Pelican. Looks like I need it back again.

I've fiddled with the side markers as well, but the left still flashes fast. I'll wiggle the front bulbs around to see if that remedies it. Otherwise, I'm ordering side markers as well.

I guess I'm going to have to take this to an indy. Spoke with Kevin at Valhalla in Lafayette and he seemed super nice and helpful. However, he was concerned that the screw holding the air bag may be stripped, as he has never encountered that.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Thats a total crap job. I doubt the screw is stripped as well. If you want to wait till weekend maybe we can have a go at it and save you a few hundred bucks for the repair...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Pcar you are one totally awesome dude.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the fast blinkers is the front left bulb actually lighting up? Had that problem with my '02 ... if the bulb is not lighting the fast blink is due to less resistance to the relay due to bad bulb or as in my case bad socket bulb holder. I had to remove the headlight assembly and slightly bend the metal spring out that makes contact to the bulb holder within the headlight assembly. If not that it could be bad relay ( but (normally you would ger no flashing in that case) or other electrical short that could be related to you horn problems ...
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Quick update...I removed the headlight assembly and just checked everything. Upon putting it back in, the fast blink has stopped and normal operation has returned.

Just the horn remains disabled now.

Pcar, I'll pm you.

Quick Reply: FML, these DIY projects are killing mE!