996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FML, these DIY projects are killing mE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 810 Posts

Sounds to me that you really need to get that steering wheel off or live without a horn.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue with the horn not working - although I haven't replaced my horns yet. I did just replace my steering wheel and was hoping that would fix it (as it would have a good airbag horn mount) but no such luck. Now I have to go searching. What does the airbag ring do, and could this be the culprit? I don't get sound from either horn, so maybe the horns are broken, I dunno! There has been some front-end repair on my car, so I will have to pull the bumper I guess.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rustymon
I have the same issue with the horn not working - although I haven't replaced my horns yet. I did just replace my steering wheel and was hoping that would fix it (as it would have a good airbag horn mount) but no such luck. Now I have to go searching. What does the airbag ring do, and could this be the culprit? I don't get sound from either horn, so maybe the horns are broken, I dunno! There has been some front-end repair on my car, so I will have to pull the bumper I guess.
Pulling the bumper and replacing the horns is a pretty easy job, and the horns are cheap. In my case, I replaced one horn and replaced the fuse (did you check that?) and everything worked, except the horn would get stuck "on". Its a classic ring issue. My problem is the screw is stripped and I cannot get to the ring. Its a Sunday drive and has been low priority, but I need to get it done; thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

You'll need to pull that steering wheel off.

there are some tools that will allow you to deal with the stripped bolt.

If I remember correctly it is a hex head - a punch style hex tool is what we used
but it was a royal PITA.

mike
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
I've been a 996 owner now for a little over two months, and so far my DIY jobs have been anything but easy. Actually, I replaced the gas front and rear hood struts which was a pleasant experience. Everything else has sucked. I'm venting a little, but I do need some help.

OK, enough venting. Where do I start?

Thanks!
Holy crap! I thought this stuff just happens to me! This is why I admire so much the guys here who are DIY' ers.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

The tools that allow one to work with a stripped bolt are greatly diminished by the position of the bolt. I'll see if I can't hook up with some other forumites soon and get it solved.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM
rustymon
Banned

Originally Posted by keytohwy
Pulling the bumper and replacing the horns is a pretty easy job, and the horns are cheap. In my case, I replaced one horn and replaced the fuse (did you check that?) and everything worked, except the horn would get stuck "on". Its a classic ring issue. My problem is the screw is stripped and I cannot get to the ring. Its a Sunday drive and has been low priority, but I need to get it done; thanks for the reminder.
Yes, the car didn't have a fuse when I purchased it, but I've put one in and still nothing... I figured it was just the airbag bracket (it was bad but apparently not the whole issue). I hadn't heard about the ring before, so now I guess I have to buy a *different* $100 part!

Best of luck trying to get your wheel off. My bolts were stripped slightly, and I couldn't get them to spin for about 20 minutes... then I finally got a T-bar handle (size 30) that if I worked as hard as I could to pull it into the steering wheel, and slowly added pressure to turn it, I got mine to break loose without slipping. I tried to make sure the head was seated perfectly then I tried to add as much force as possible to keep it in the grooves. I was getting frustrated and finally got one. I hope you can find a way to get yours out!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rustymon
Yes, the car didn't have a fuse when I purchased it, but I've put one in and still nothing... I figured it was just the airbag bracket (it was bad but apparently not the whole issue). I hadn't heard about the ring before, so now I guess I have to buy a *different* $100 part!

Best of luck trying to get your wheel off. My bolts were stripped slightly, and I couldn't get them to spin for about 20 minutes... then I finally got a T-bar handle (size 30) that if I worked as hard as I could to pull it into the steering wheel, and slowly added pressure to turn it, I got mine to break loose without slipping. I tried to make sure the head was seated perfectly then I tried to add as much force as possible to keep it in the grooves. I was getting frustrated and finally got one. I hope you can find a way to get yours out!
Rusty, thats a good idea. Being able to get max pressure will be key. When you say t-bar handle size 30, can you be more specific, or share a link for what you used. Or come on down. I'm not that far from Oregon...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is what rusty is talking about

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, PG. I'll poke around. Again, I've not touched it since the thread was going as I didn't want to strip it further. Might be time for another pass.

I can't believe that no NorCal member likes beer enough to stop by and make this a team project
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see anything about beer.............
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
rustymon
Banned

Parts Guy is right, but make sure you get a t-30 Torx head... I ended up using something more like this:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...41-56766-52003 as I wasn't sure the size I needed at the time. Just remember to really put inward pressure on the head and try to make sure it is as flat/flush to the head as possible. The angle you're working at makes it really hard to know if you are straight into the head or not. I also tried to put some pressure against the shaft of the tool to better grip my slightly stripped bolt head... hard to explain. I slowly built pressure on the rotation and it finally popped loose. Best of luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am up for a team project... but it would require you to drive down to San Jose where my tools are. I have the Torx hardware to do this and a Durametric programmer to check and clear fault codes if needed.

David (who is more of a red wine guy than beer guy)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reborn996
I am up for a team project... but it would require you to drive down to San Jose where my tools are. I have the Torx hardware to do this and a Durametric programmer to check and clear fault codes if needed.

David (who is more of a red wine guy than beer guy)
Let me know what kind of red wine you like, and I am there. 400+ bottles in my cellar now....
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Partsguy
I didn't see anything about beer.............
I dunno. Did you read the first post carefully?

Quick Reply: FML, these DIY projects are killing mE!