996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 996 today....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
machbx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe but I have yet to see an after market warranty worth the paper. 4 out of 5 dentists agree get the quote from you dealer - then we will chat sum more - the dealer also GAVE you an engine. That NEVER happens - in any version of this reality. You stand to be in far better shape bc of this happening - also a Rod Serling moment.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

I'm sure the "free" motor will come with stipulations for it to be "free" and have a warranty... Any help is always better than no help...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You gotta let porsche do the install.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So happy things are working out for you. Let us know what you decided on labor. I may just go ahead and pay it if I were you. Still in shock Porsche stepped up.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

If the total install price is anywhere south of 3k I say pay with a smile and drive off into the sunset.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, to get the warranty would make it all worth it to me.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
9elf-joy
AutoX

Great news! Glad to read Porsche stepped up!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be great for the rest of us to have a look at your oil filter, after all those talk of IMS guardian and how the amount of metal deposit in the filter would show an early warning of the IMS failure.

but we have never seen what an oil filter from an IMS victim look like.

That would be the first time we would really see if there is any way to detect this or not. I am sure your mechanic would like to know as well if there was any way he could have actually know about this. I doubt he would.

Just bad luck, I am so glad to read that you are sorting it out.

my 2 cents, pay the dealer to install it and enjoy the warranty that comes with the new engine.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Labor is nothing

How much is "nothing?" They gave me a number that seems extremely high for the install (unless I misunderstood them). Just curious what everybody thinks the install should cost. I don't want to be greedy as I feel very grateful. I am just curious what people think the install should cost?
just caught this thread and must say i am very glad for you that porsche stepped up to the plate - i for one am very surprised they have done this considering all the others who have begged for an engine.

great news and enjoy your even newer car
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Id personally pay Porsche to install it, they are giving you a new engine which is $$$$$, the least you can do is ensure its installed properly by them.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would have the dealer (porsche) put it in. Take the Porsche warranty for free. Pay for fluids and labor. Having a new clutch as well. My guess at around $7.. The other option would be to have your indy do it free (if there is no stipulation from Porsche) Pay for fluids and clutch and extended warranty and the cost would still be about the same depending on how many years and/or milage comes with the extended warranty. STG its gonna cost you a bomb whichever way the cats jumps but you have virtually a new car out of the deal. I had an upgraded transmission in mine via extended warranty and Porsche Dealers in Lancaster PA. It still cost me almost a grand in 'Whatevers' before they released the car to me. They told me the clutch was fine. I didn't even know about the IMS those days. The car has run like a dream since. For how long???????????????????? who knows???????????????
Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Thats great news!!! I would definately let the dealer do the install. Hopefully the price isn't ridiculous. I'm guessing that the only reason you would ponder such a question is the price for the labor is well over 3k? Keep in mind that it will have a warranty now which you were thinking of getting.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default just happened on this thread, and...

STG, good on ya man, hope the 'rest of the story' a la paul harvey comes out the way you want, you musta done something right out there, congrats!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
PDX318is
4th Gear

Originally Posted by aviography
Being the skeptic that I can be from time to time, I wonder if Porsche NA folks are reading this thread......
I can't speak for Porsche but I can for BMW and I know for a fact through a friend I have that works there that there are people at BMW NA that monitor as many message boards as possible. BMW has tried, how be it ever so slight, to maintain a connection to their old school customers for which they no longer make cars for (BMW's current clientele seem to be "business owners and successful self-employed people that are merely leasing their vehicles through their respective businesses for the most minimal time possible and who will never see a track and who perform minimal, if any, maintenance on the vehicle")

Whether they gather information to use for research or actually act on anything is another story. In this case, the good-will that Porsche has provided will go far and wide to help not only them but the dealer who will do the install and anyone who comes in contact with STG. Even STG's friends, who might tend to like to wax on about fantastic -and true- stories a bit (ahem) will become 1-person Porsche PR firms for DECADES. This action on their part is epic. I've gone from being a BMW person considering a Porsche to NO-WAY owning a Porsche, back to making plans towards a new Porsche. Well done Porsche! That's great PR!

Oh right-my vote is for the dealer to do the install with very detailed paperwork regarding hours etc... If this is a long block then the time should be less which means it should be cheaper. Having said that, I'm saying you're looking at about $5-7k (closer to 5) out the door with warranty and clear instructions on new motor break-in. A dealer can do the work in 2-days once the motor is there.

Last edited by PDX318is; 06-03-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 PM
kalex993
Track Day

How much a new engine cost? Then, think that you just won that amount in a lottery.
I would let them install the engine, like yesterday. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Picking up my 996 today....