Sponsored by:

Maintenance Make Over & Some Goodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Make Over & Some Goodies

Well the 996 Aero Package gets here Saturday. Being delivered from Arizona on an enclosed trailer, I am very excited! It has 84,000 miles on her and the PPI uncovered, Front / Rear Rotors & Pads, Brake Sensors, Clutch felt like it was on its last leg, Hood Struts, Gas cap seal cracking, #6 Spark Plug tube leaking. Other than that she is very well kept.

Understanding it is creeping up on high miles, i budgeted 5-7,000 in maintenance and upgrade costs right up front. Luckily i have a great connection in my local Porsche dealer to allow me to buy all parts at wholesale. I will compare the prices with Pelican / Sunset etc... to get the best deals. I also have a great connection at my local Porsche tuning company which i also receive all lines they carry at wholesale pricing

I am very pumped up to get this little overhaul started. I has access to a lift pretty much on weekends only. So i plan on starting Saturday mornings, work all afternoon and on Sundays once i start this project. It is going to be fun working on my first Porsche. I have been on Renntech and already printed out some of the DIY's.

I wanted to get your thoughts and some feedback on my plans. I am looking to go ahead and order all my parts come Monday once the car gets here. If anyone has experience or any suggestions please chime in. This will be my first time working on a Porsche, I plan on getting the manual to help out. However, i have a great friend who is a technician who will be helping me along. It is his shop, lift & tools. He is also looking forward to getting into the Porsche.

Here it goes, My parts list and Mod List:

Brakes Job:
Hawk HPS Pads - Front & Rear
Zimmerman Rotors - Front & Rear
Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
New vibrations dampeners - Front & Rear
Brake pad sensors - Front & Rear. (?) Since i take care of my cars and will be following my brake pad life, is there a way to avoid using brake sensors and NOT having a CEL?
Pull calipers, R&R piston and piston seals
Strip them & Re-Paint them Red
New Porsche caliper stickers (white), Clear coat once sticker is on caliper
Flush brake system
ATE Brake fluid

Motor Work:
Wevo semi solid motor mounts
LN IMS
LN IMS removal / install tool
LN oil drain plug magnet
AOS
Water Pump & Water Pump seal
LN low temp thermostat
Coolant Flush
Spark Plugs - who favors what? (any colder temp options?)
Spark Plug Tubes ( Top and bottom O-rings )
Spark Plug Socket Connector - Is this necessary ?
Drive / Serpentine Belt
Oil change
Oil filter
Pollen filter
Air filter
Fuel filter

Transmission
OEM Dual Mass Flywheel ( I had a LWFW on my old car and i hated the noise, i just can not deal with it. Especially when i have a hot girl in the car.
Sachs sport pressure plate - minus well upgrade the PP & CD
Sachs sport clutch disc
Throw out bearing
Throw out bearing guide
997 Pivot Bushing/Sealing Ring
997 Clutch Release Lever
997 Ball Pin for Clutch Release Lever
Flywheel bolts (8)
Gbox 2nd gear fix - its cheap enough
Transmission flush and fluid
Wevo Semi Solid transmission mount
Torque solutions stainless steel clutch line - ( I love this mod, had it on my old car and it really gave the clutch pedal a much better feel )

Suspension
H&R Street Coil-overs - if i can swing the $$$
H&R Sway bars
May look for Used GT3 Sway bars, but i honestly may only do 1 or 2 DE events a year and think the H&R bars will be fine. Not to mention i get them for a steal.

Exterior
OEM MK2 GT3 lip
Smoked side markers
Rear wiper delete plug
Porsche plate bracket black

Misc
Front hood struts
New gas cap

Please let me know what you guys are thinking, any parts i left out that you think i should do while i have the transmission out? All this maintenance was planned when i purchased this car and even-though somethings may not be broken, since i have the transmission out. I am going to do the whole dam thing.

Once she gets here on Saturday, pictures will be posted and i will post many pictures of the work being done

discuss

Last edited by DJonathanSilva; 05-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

damn, you're a busy boy, good on ya

put a wrench in my hands and just go retarded - good luck
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 988 Posts

Congrats on your purchase!

You've got quite a list!

Two quick things - why would you want to run without brake sensors? They are a good thing, and I can't see a disadvantage to keeping them. Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to clear coat the calipers after the decals are applied. They will wrinkle and peel off.

Good luck with the rest of it. You'll be busy!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM
BSonwine
Advanced

Can't wait for the photos of the work. There is a series of you tubes from Van Svenson
Link to one. He's on the forum and does not use pad sensors. It seems others on the forum remove them as well, but as he indicated Dennis likes the added protection. I'll do mine soon and keep the sensors as well.

Best,
M
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Thanks guys. I'm pumped. Thanks for the YouTube link, I have not seen them yet. That will definitely help.

Reason for thinking about removing the sensors is because they are pretty weak it seems from reading other posts. The like to come loose or break. Plus with the Hawk HPS pads I have to drill the pad to put them in. I may just go ahead and do it. However, reason I see no benefit is because I plan on DD the car. I'll be changing the oil myself every 3-5,000 miles and I always check an go over my brakes when I do so. I'll know when they will be needing replacement.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Clear coating over the caliper sticker should work very well.

I have done it in the past and it comes out amazing. When I get a chance I will post some pictures of some that have been done, looks really good and helps keep the sticker from pealing off.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

wow... hope you have a lift.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Yes have a lift and a huge collection of snap on tools and air tools. Not mine, my buddies but he will be giving me a helping hand with everything.

Here is a picture of a caliper that the Porsche sticker has been shot with clear coat to give it that added protection

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Any one try these sub frame bushing?

http://www.awdmotorsports.com/product_p/ts-por-005.htm

Thinking about adding this to my re-fresh
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

After a long wait, she is finally here. Really ****ty night, but none the less she looks REALLY GOOD! The engine bay is 100% spotless. I am very impressed with the overall condition of the car. On to the crappy iphone pictures. It is suppose to rain all week so, not until next week is when i can get proper pictures.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

My mom says, i like the ambler turn signals it looks vintage. Not sure how to take that one mom, thanks though.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Oh and the carrier had a Lamborghini diabolo, Austin Martin, Shelby, not a bad line up
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bike hanging upside down is a scary sight! Congrats in the new ride! But ya, I would swap all of the yellow lights to clear, it will give it a much cleaner look!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re - Brake Pad Sensors

First, worn brake pad sensors do not cause a CEL, there is a separate brake wear warning light on the dash.

Second - you can avoid this a couple of ways. Easiest, IMO, is to install a new set of brake pad sensors but do not insert them into the brake pads, just zip tie them to the mounting brackets or whatever is convenient. That way they will never wear out.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on the car! I think you are pricing all fixes low unless it is all DIY. Ps....don't run the Hawks. If you plan on DE's get some track pads. If not go stock.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Make Over & Some Goodies