Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bumped into the Orange County, CA PCA... They laughed at me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bumped into the Orange County, CA PCA... They laughed at me...

So I'm out cleaning up my Speedster replica, nice day for a nice drive... and in MY OWN neighborhood, I see about 10 Porsches. Half a dozen 997 and a couple 996 and air cooled...

Anyways, being the enthusiast that I am, I asked if they were a club and which one, etc.. Well long story short one guy was nice and informed me, but the second group laughed at me when I asked to join and I told them I had a 996. Following them laughing at me, she looked straight at me and asked, "YOU have one?"

Talk about a bad taste in my mouth. I will never go near the Orange County PCA now. Besides everyone looked like they were over 60 and there were a lot of old woman driving with them...

I'm gonna start my own under 60 Orange County Porsche Club... Called the Anti-Geriatric Porsche Club of OC

Admission requirements:

1. Own a Porsche (Doesn't matter if you look young or old, or homeless or rich)
2. You cannot wear Depends or any type of adult diaper.

Haha
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I am surprised by the arrogance, but not by the median age. PCA members are usually retired people looking for social events. younger kids have usually better things to do
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Know the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?

You do now!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip P
So I'm out cleaning up my Speedster replica, nice day for a nice drive... and in MY OWN neighborhood, I see about 10 Porsches. Half a dozen 997 and a couple 996 and air cooled...

Anyways, being the enthusiast that I am, I asked if they were a club and which one, etc.. Well long story short one guy was nice and informed me, but the second group laughed at me when I asked to join and I told them I had a 996. Following them laughing at me, she looked straight at me and asked, "YOU have one?"

Talk about a bad taste in my mouth. I will never go near the Orange County PCA now. Besides everyone looked like they were over 60 and there were a lot of old woman driving with them...

I'm gonna start my own under 60 Orange County Porsche Club... Called the Anti-Geriatric Porsche Club of OC

Admission requirements:

Haha
Don't judge the whole club because of a few! I've done many events with them and I've never seen anything like that.

Go to http://www.pcaocr.com/ and check out the calendar and drop by an event.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Admission requirements:

Haha

What would have been fun for you is if you walked away and then promptly phoned in a complaint for excessive noise, loud laughing and revving engines, try to include license plate numbers and then hang up the phone before they got your name (at this point, they already got your phone number but don't worry... without your name it's an informal complaint. They are, however, still obligated to send someone down, also things like noise are hard to disprove, especially when a bunch of exotic sports cars owned by arrogant ******** are involved).

Next, if you really want them to get down there fast, go to a pay phone and have your woman call and say that she is a concerned mother and some maniac almost hit her kid because they were diving crazy while flaring and wailing their arms wildly!

Have her also add that she suspected drinking (as I am sure that at least one of them (particularly someones wife) either has a bottle of wine or at least had drank a bunch beforehand. LoL

Lastly, sit back and have the last laugh! It's your neighborhood, you should not be made to feel bad by a bunch of strangers.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I am surprised by the arrogance, but not by the median age. PCA members are usually retired people looking for social events. younger kids have usually better things to do
Sorry, that is simply not correct. While the average age does tend toward the upper 40's, the number of retirees is a very small percentage, at least here in the Carolinas. And I would say that was true of the 2008 Parade were hosted as well.

That said, the group you ran into were total @sshats. Sorry you had to endure that.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Join the Grand Prix Region club. It's close enough to you.

Last edited by porsche-t; 04-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

This really surprises me. All of the porsche groups and owners in this area are super friendly. Very strange. I don't blame you for being put off.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

If that's your replica in the avatar pic - I'm surprised they weren't at least curious about the build and details. It looks like a very nice car. I wouldn't lump the whole OC group into the same catagory as the few you met. You might be making the same mistake some of them did about you. Indeed, sounds like the first one was friendly. And - some of the old farts can be pretty friendly and really know their way around a Porsche or a track. I'm no youngster, but I got instruction once from a guy who looked like father time. He knew that track like he built it and showed me a line that was perfect for my car and abilities. Toss the bad berry - enjoy the remaining fruit.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Just not true in any way. My local region has everyone from college students to old rich guys... One of the great things about the club is the intergenerational mingling that is so lacking in modern life.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Just not true in any way. My local region has everyone from college students to old rich guys... One of the great things about the club is the intergenerational mingling that is so lacking in modern life.
Sounds like the OP ran into a pretty obnoxious group. There's no excuse for such bad behavior.

Ralph, I see where you're coming from, but really, the majority are on the older side - dominated by baby boomers and sometimes it feels like a AARP convention. Most of the Hurricane region events I've attended have been skewed on the older side - the same was true when I was a Riesentoter. In contrast, the BMWCCA events I've attended are distinctly on the younger side - Gen X and younger.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That really surprises me. Over the years I've done several evets with that exact group and they are always friendly and very welcoming. I live in the east San Fernando valley, but have joined in their activities because one of my closests buddies belongs and he has invited me. My experience is that the bulk of the Grand Prix group are early to middle 30s with some of the office holders in their 40s and 50s. They are a good group of people and great Porsche enthusiasts
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would it be unlikely that you own a Porsche? Were you wearing a Toadies concert T?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure... perhaps its because I'm asian and look like I'm 15 haha... I dunno...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure... perhaps its because I'm asian and look like I'm 15 haha... I dunno...
LOL! I remember when I first bought my car I had just parked it at my old job (where we used to wear jeans and t-shirts) and I overheard a couple of well-dressed guys coming out of a Camry saying, "There's no way that could be his car..." I just laughed to myself.

What I found out in both the PCA and kickboxing (yeah I had to throw that in there, trust me!) - never judge a book by its cover. I've met Porsche owners who do fall into the stereotype and others that you wouldn't even imagine would be fans of the vehicles. My PCA experiences have been great and keep in mind I even started with a 944! Been a member now for 10 years and it's all been good. Just hold your head up and dismiss the idiots.

Quick Reply: Bumped into the Orange County, CA PCA... They laughed at me...