Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bumped into the Orange County, CA PCA... They laughed at me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Philip P my man that is S T U N N I NG!!
Whats the spec/motor? Would love one, but the weather in Ireland and lack of gatage space to keep it always brings me back to reality..
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
there's no escaping....unfortunately!
Pissedpuppy..what rims are they on your car? Looks great. Liking the carrera script and wing, and the color combo rocks. Very retro/modern
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawson4323

I get this all the time. Mint garage kept 996 aero, No dubs on my ride, no stanced out air ride, 25 year old black guy. I don't fit the typical Porsche owner look especially being in my aircraft mechanic uniform. oh well
Cool car! And like you I seem to break stereotypes wherever I go. But that's not a concern for me as long as I get to do whatever makes me happy.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know the LSRPCA has a big mix of people. There does seems to be some different groups within our club. There are people that like DE's and that is all they do. Then there are people that like the drives and the one that like the social events. We has around a 1000 members and only 200ish showed up to the 50th anniversary last year.
We limited the event to 200. That was all the room would hold. It was also all we could afford, as the club was subsidizing the cost.

LSR does indeed have a big mix of folks, as do most other PCA regions. Auto-x, concours, tours, coffee and cars, DE, racing. There is a lot of room in the PCA for folks with different interests, as there should be.

I'm sorry that the OP had a negative experience with some PCA members. From my experience, that is not at all typical.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to know there is some diversity among 996 owners. I've looked at pics from the local PCA, and everyone looks like they've been retired for 10 years. This has been a big reason why I've had very little interest in joining. Also, I've noticed around town the people who stare at my car the most are guys who look like the're getting ready to retire in the next 10 years.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The motor on the speedster is a 1776cc with a freeway flyer transmission. Makes a bit under 95hp.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, there's no escaping stupid, ignorant, dumbass people and stereotypes either.

-Eric
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Philip P
The motor on the speedster is a 1776cc with a freeway flyer transmission. Makes a bit under 95hp.
About how much does it weigh?

I'm just curious because my Sonett has a 1.7l v4 that puts out about 65hp. It's far from quick (especially by today's standards) but it only weighs about 1900lbs. and I can imagine that an extra 30hp on a car that size/weight might feel downright "zippy."

-Eric
Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
eidolon
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DK570
Good to know there is some diversity among 996 owners.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Philip P, don't dismiss the OC PCA group over this. Those individuals do NOT represent the group as a whole. There is a LARGE group of hardcore autocrossers and racers who drive everything from 914's and 924's to 997 GT2RS's. Those guys (including me) are out there to have a GREAT time with our cars and love the camaraderie of the group. We have young drivers (teens) all the way to drivers in their 70's. I'd say the average age at AX events is about 35. We are a very friendly and outgoing group. Log onto the PCA OCR website and find out when the next autocross is (they are on the runways at El Toro). Come on out and hang with us for a day. You'll LOVE it and us.

Sorry about the wash and shine and cruise group you ran into. They DO tend to be a bit more uppity than the AXers.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by R1_Pete
Pissedpuppy..what rims are they on your car? Looks great. Liking the carrera script and wing, and the color combo rocks. Very retro/modern
Gracias! - OZ Ultraleggera (sp) 20s w/Hankooks
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

David I hope you emergency brake is in good working condition. Good looking car.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
LRBill
Racer

Very nice. the black wheels look great against the blue paint.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Philip P
Racer

Well I'll definitely and try to goto the next AX event. I usually go out with the BMW CCA group because my friends instruct but hopefully i can meet some cool people. Also just got my turbo twists and put some NT01 on it for the track. Want to put them to good use
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
Philip P, don't dismiss the OC PCA group over this. Those individuals do NOT represent the group as a whole. There is a LARGE group of hardcore autocrossers and racers who drive everything from 914's and 924's to 997 GT2RS's. Those guys (including me) are out there to have a GREAT time with our cars and love the camaraderie of the group. We have young drivers (teens) all the way to drivers in their 70's. I'd say the average age at AX events is about 35. We are a very friendly and outgoing group. Log onto the PCA OCR website and find out when the next autocross is (they are on the runways at El Toro). Come on out and hang with us for a day. You'll LOVE it and us.

Sorry about the wash and shine and cruise group you ran into. They DO tend to be a bit more uppity than the AXers.

Sorry about the boneheads that you encountered. I am a member of the Orange Coast PCA. I mostly do the driving events AX, DE, TT and now POC racing.
The OC PCA group of people that I spend a lot of time with are some of the most solid, friendly people that I have ever had the pleasure of being around. Period.
These people have gone out of their way to help me so many times. At the track with car issues, parts, gas and driving instruction, they basically fall over themselves to help you out.
Once you know the people, they help you the same way in the real world. I have made more friends with the OC PCA than any club that I have been associated with.
Come out and join us this weekend at El Toro for some AX! Cape Auto is providing lunch!

Eric
PM me if you want more details!

Quick Reply: Bumped into the Orange County, CA PCA... They laughed at me...