Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
jw996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I let it do it's own thing, but not trying to insult anyone, but some of the wings that are put on reg. cars look a little posser to me. I understand if you are turbo'd or GT3, seems like the wings should be earned. JMHO
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by Barn996
In that video Hurley also says to close the front trunk by putting your hand on the Porsche emblem, which Excellence recently said was incorrect.
Oh crap, how am I supposed to close the bonnet then? Never had a car with so many do's and don'ts... someone school me on this new item!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

My kid likes to raise the spoiler when we are driving around town. Works for me cuz it makes him happy. He also makes derisive comments about Corvettes. Bringing him up right.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leedav
My kid likes to raise the spoiler when we are driving around town. Works for me cuz it makes him happy. He also makes derisive comments about Corvettes. Bringing him up right.
LOL!!!!!

I've got Princess Stickers on my back right window and Lightning McQueen Stickers on the back left window.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
FLi GLi
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I sure as hell can't see mine when I am driving.
I can see mine when it goes up. Not that hard to see, actually.

The switch came in handy over the weekend. I was on a driving tour and speeds fluctuated from 35mph to, well, let's say "spirited", repeatedly. I didn't want the spoiler constantly going up and down, so when I started the car I put it up manually and left it up until the next time the car was turned off.

Outside of this one very particular case, I let it go up/down naturally, like other things in life.

Cheers,

FLi
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FLi GLi
I can see mine when it goes up. Not that hard to see, actually.

The switch came in handy over the weekend. I was on a driving tour and speeds fluctuated from 35mph to, well, let's say "spirited", repeatedly. I didn't want the spoiler constantly going up and down, so when I started the car I put it up manually and left it up until the next time the car was turned off.

Outside of this one very particular case, I let it go up/down naturally, like other things in life.

Cheers,

FLi
^^^I think it's more difficult to see the raised spoiler in the rearview mirror on a cab. than a coupe.

I was in the habit for the longest time of raising the spoiler after driving the car to help with coolong. I'd also raise the spoiler during spirited drives to aid in cooling, although I don't have any hard evidence that a raised spoiler actually keeps the engine bay cooler.

I guess I'm in the minority here in that I think the car looks good with the spoiler up. Of course, I also think it looks great with it down as well.

As far as posing goes, to each his own...but the sharp responses by some here to the so-called posers is very puzzling to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't see the spoiler when its up, but I do make it a point to check out the car when I pass a nice shiny black pickup or panel van, just to be sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I can't see the spoiler when its up, but I do make it a point to check out the car when I pass a nice shiny black pickup or panel van, just to be sure.
I tend to do much the same. I check for my reflection from the windows of the Old Folks Home or the shiny side of the ice cream van stopped outside the school as I hurtle past at 75 plus MPH hahaha.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
^^^I think it's more difficult to see the raised spoiler in the rearview mirror on a cab. than a coupe.
Yeah, you can't see it very easily in a Cab but it's pretty obvious Ina coupe.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I am of the opinion that the raised spoiler does spoil the look of the car, but if it does help cooling the engine better, I wouldn't mind raising it. Some day I'll have a nice GT2 wing installed and with sport exhausts.. then I'll be proud to be labeled a showoff :P
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I recently purchased an 02 996 C4 Cab and the owner I bought the car from did not even know there was a switch to manually control the rear spoiler.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
I recently purchased an 02 996 C4 Cab and the owner I bought the car from did not even know there was a switch to manually control the rear spoiler.
I'm sure it was nice and clean under that spoiler!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
LOL!!!!!

I've got Princess Stickers on my back right window and Lightning McQueen Stickers on the back left window.
Awesome!

A couple of weekends ago, I blipped the gas while we were going under a bridge with the top down. My son (5) immediately exclaimed, "That's what I'm talking about!" It was confirmation that I've done something right.

-Eric
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Now I can see all you cab drivers holding a hand mirror up over your heads as you drive to check on the spoiler. And the guy in the car following saying "Theres one of them **** jockeys doing his makeup" haha
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

seats on most cars are on a ramp... the idea is if your legs are long, the rest of you is too. My legs are not long, but the rest of me is, so I get to see when Paulina gets a woodie from going 75+

Quick Reply: Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?