Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
LOL.

Cheesy old tramp pops outs and starts playing it too.

Ooohhh! That why he's called Hurdigurdiman. He plays the accordian!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Disagree. I fall under the first demographic and it is super dorky to drive around with the wing up. If the car wants the wing up, it will put it up when it feels like it.
+996
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I use the switch all the time. When I wash the car.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
I let the spoiler go up and down by itself - I never use the switch. I think the car looks better with the wing down.
+1. I have never used the switch.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I use the switch all the time. When I wash the car.
Yup! Just like Hurley Hayward says to do on the VHS new owner video!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Yup! Just like Hurley Hayward says to do on the VHS new owner video!
In that video Hurley also says to close the front trunk by putting your hand on the Porsche emblem, which Excellence recently said was incorrect.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow a topic I can't believe made it to four pages...

I let my wing go up and down on it's own but if someone is in town with it up, I don't think of them any differently. Porsche put a button there so we have a choice.

I personally like the wing up and would actually prefer a fixed wing (along with an entire aero kit) on my car. But since to me it's cosmetic I'd rather spend the cash on something else.

To the OP, do as you wish! Whatever makes you happy.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I prefer the clean lines of the car with the wing down. But then I also don't like fixed wings on narrow-bodied cars that much either - especially huge whale-tails on narrow air-cooled cars.

Still...each to his own!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
It obviously serves some purpose other than necessary downforce at highway speeds.
It's a spoiler, not a wing. Zero downforce. It's job is to create turbulence at the back of the car to prevent lift.

Sorry... pet peeve
Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
It's a spoiler, not a wing. Zero downforce. It's job is to create turbulence at the back of the car to prevent lift.

Sorry... pet peeve

Don't be sorry Bruce. Right is right, wrong is wrong. Guys that drive with the spolier might not care about the difference but it's good to have the facts straight.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine only rises when its heartbeat BPM goes up? Is this normal or is my IMSB on its way out?.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
+1. I have never used the switch.
NEVER? Don't believe you. Bet you pushed it in the garage to see if it actually worked. How do we know it even comes out at 75mph? I sure as hell can't see mine when I am driving. Actually I do know mine works but it took me a year to find that out. I raced passed my wife and sister in law who were in another vehicle on the way to a restaurant last Saturday and she told me she saw the spoiler come out at over 75mph. She couldn't tell me at what speed it returned to closed position though. I was waiting for them on the car park at the restaurant. Now I can see all you cab drivers holding a hand mirror up over your heads as you drive to check on the spoiler. And the guy in the car following saying "Theres one of them **** jockeys doing his makeup" haha
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 790 Posts

Up at 73mph (78 on my speedo) and back down at 37mph.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
So I seen couple "kids" driving with their spoiler up in the city, is this passe in the porsche crowrd? Or is there a reason for doing that?
Can't say this is true in all cases, but some Porsche owners have expressed concerns about leaving a high speed section of road going onto a slow(er) speed section of road and getting pulled over because the spoiler was up.

I have to admit after I first got my Boxster when driving down the highway in areas of the country one can after driving on a section of road with a speed limit that can have the spoiler up then encounter a section of road posted below the speed at which the spoiler comes up (and higher than which it goes down) and some of those towns look like they could harbor a traffic enforcement officer that could use the spoiler up as a 'sign' you've been speeding.

Never got pulled over though because of the spoiler and I don't pay it mind.

However, I don't raise it manually either.

If someone wants to drive his Porsche around with the spoiler raised using the switch and leave it that way, that's his business.

Oh, I will add that for the water cooled cars there might be some engine compartment cooling benefit and for air cooled cars there might be some engine cooling advantage, but I no data indicating there is any advantage.

And with my Boxster whether the spoiler is up or down can have zero impact on the engine compartment's temperature.

(When I owned an 06 GTO there was some talk about the air 'scoops' in the hood which were filled with some rubber things that blocked air flow through the scoop holes. I tested my GTO with these installed and removed and didn't notice any coolant or intake air temp differences. So I reinstalled them and left them alone thereafter.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm exact opposite. I wish there was the button could keep the spoiler down. If the COP knows Porsche then he will know how fast you were going due to the spoiler. Having the manual up button is genious on Porsches Lawyers Part.

"no Officer, I wasn't speeding....I had manually raised the spoiler with this button here......bzzzzzzzz.......see"

Quick Reply: Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?