Steering knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering knocking

A couple of times recently, after a long, hot drive, I've noticed a a slight knocking sensation through the steering wheel. The engine sounds fine, with no detectable noise coming from the rear and its only after extended trips that I notice this. I have absolutely no idea what can be causing it. Any ideas, speculation? Cheers, --H
Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could it be ball joints or tie-rod ends going bad?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Could it be ball joints or tie-rod ends going bad?
Would that be intermittent, only showing symptoms occasionaly? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have the same problem! After a long ride, you hear bumps coming through the steering wheel - sounds like you have a toolbox floating around in the trunk? - my mechanic thought it could be the front shock mounts - and said leave it alone.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
After a long ride, you hear bumps coming through the steering wheel - sounds like you have a toolbox floating around in the trunk?
Haha, a good description, it feels just like something bouncing in the trunk!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, it feels like the steering wheel is loose, and making noise over bumps. Very frustrating. Let me know if you get a diagnosis from a mechanic!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will do Andy. thanks for the input!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
A couple of times recently, after a long, hot drive, I've noticed a a slight knocking sensation through the steering wheel. The engine sounds fine, with no detectable noise coming from the rear and its only after extended trips that I notice this. I have absolutely no idea what can be causing it. Any ideas, speculation? Cheers, --H
Check the power steering fluid level is ok.

Then I think you need to get the car in the air -- lift the car by the body lift points, not the tires/wheels -- and have its underside checked for any thing that could account for the noise. A partial list would be a broken sway bar link; a loose/broken sway bar mount bushing; any steering or suspension bushing including the rear ones... cars have a funny way of making a noise from one end of the car appear like it is coming from the other end...; motor/transmission mounts; and any loose/cracked/missing body underpanels, including the fender well liners.

I'd go so far as to expose the power steering rack and the steering hardware -- based on the underbody areas of cars I've seen this will require one or more plastic underbody panels be removed -- and check for anything loose or worn. Check for any other lines or hardware, brackets/etc loose or out of place. While you there check the steering rack dust boots for any presence of fluid. Give 'em a squeeze, but not too hard cause if they have any fluid the squeeze can cause the boot to pop and spray you with power steering fluid.

With the car supported by its body lift points you (or your mechanic) can grasp and give all the steering, suspension hardware a good shake to check for any excessive play or looseness. Look at the springs for any signs one is broken (does the car sit low/high on one corner? -- get a tape measure) or a strut/shock is leaking.

Check brake lines are properly routed and held secure to prevent any flopping about.

Last (or maybe this should be first...) be sure there is nothing: a bottle, can, golf ball, something; loose in the front trunk. (Be sure the spare tire and all the tool kit hardware, jack, etc are secure.) Check the cabin too for any loose foreign object and this includes of course under the seats. Watch it there are some edges/pointy things under there!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thats a really great reply macster, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I laughed when I read the part about loose golf ***** etc. but then I realized i hadn't acually checked under the boot carpet to see if the spare and tools etc. were secure.

Thanks again, gives me a great place to start - much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am almost positive that it's something to do with the front suspension, either bushings, or shock mounts, etc. I only hear the noise and feel the "thumps" in the steering wheel when the suspension goes over bumps, after the car is warmed up.

My mechanic said he checked for loose suspension bits, but found nothing. He said it could be the shock mounts, but to find out, he would have to take the shocks off, and since the problem isn't safety related, it would probably not be worth it.

Sounds kinda lazy, no?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Past posts have shown this to be very often tie rod ends. And for some wierd reason, all the grabbing and checking for looseness, etc, shows nothing. My car does the same thing, and like yours, only after driven a while. Mechanics felt it too, found nothing. Mine USED to also have the creaking, clunking noise, from just steering and tiny bumps, after driven a bit, but that did turn out to be something with the strut top mounts, either the bearing or the top hat, but after I installed the PSS9s with new bearings and X74 top mount, all gone. When I inspected the original bearings and top mounts, they all looked fine. No slop, discerable wear or worn bearings. Just wierd.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be an Arizona Iced Tea bottle rolling around under my passenger's side front seat. I don't ever eat or drink in the car, so this possibility never crossed my mind. It turned out that my son left the bottle there. My independent mechanic got a good chuckle out of that one...
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
heroin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had something similar to what you described, mine turned out to be front tires that were shot. The tread was fine but the rubber had hardened. New front Contisports and all was well!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Is everything OEM in the front of your car? I have pillowball mounts and aftermarket sway bar drop links and they occasionally make a clunking noise.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Is everything OEM in the front of your car? I have pillowball mounts and aftermarket sway bar drop links and they occasionally make a clunking noise.
Yes Capt., all stock.

Some great posts here btw, I really appreciate it.

Took the car on a long, hot drive again on Saturday and this time it was much less noticeable, only making itself known when I got off the freeway and went very slowly in 1st/2nd through a car park with rough surface.

Quick Reply: Steering knocking