Sponsored by:

GO PRO CAMERA ON 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GO PRO CAMERA ON 996

Have any of the 996 owners used the GOpro Camera aboard their 996? If so, have you posted the results to Youtube or Vimeo? Maybe one or more of the 'track guys' have undertaken the project. Would you mind posting a link to the film on this Forum? Thanks in anticipation.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Mounted on my GoPro on my roll bar...
you can check out a Skyline HD video of Lightning Track in New Jersey. I will be downloading my runs shortly.

you can go to U tube and look up "SWK Lightning (4/27/12)"
enjoy.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I just got one this weekend. For my first video I attached it to the back window of my car's hardtop.

It gave me a good view of what I was doing but the road view seemed washed out.

So the next thing I did was attach it to the front window. Perfect view of the road but I couldn't see how I was driving it. For me the only solution for a perfect mount would be adding a rollbar and attaching the camera to that. The other two options weren't that great.

But I will tell you I still love the videos it took, very interesting to see yourself and your driving from a camera's perspective.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Video of one of my sessions at TWS (green group) using the rennline tow hook mount...

The sound was all jacked up which is the reason for the music. Also it ends early because I was trying to keep the size lower.

Last edited by dotframe; 05-02-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Lots of gopro users here. I tend to hang mine upside down in the center to the front windshield.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are a few laps at Homestead. This was my first visit back to the track after my rebuild. Can was strong but I had to cut the day short due to a crankshaft seal leak. The 996 in front of me had either a turbo or supercharger.

Im driving with NASA in a couple weeks. Now that Im familiar with ideal mounting locations I will post more videos after that event.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on what you want to see, a good place is on the driver's side, rear bumper, facing forward. You're low to the ground, good view of what's coming, can see the front tires turn -- and with the open back, you get good engine/exhaust sounds.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 834 Posts

Personally, I'm partial to the Contour camera, rather than the GoPro.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuck on the windshield of my '99 996 at Road Atlanta in March. First time at the track with that car after going there for 15 years in my 944 Turbo.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a load of them from the rollbar, maybe 10 or 15. Both in 1080 (30FPS) and 720 (60FPS). Also most are overlaid with track data.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GottA911

-td
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by dotframe
Video of one of my sessions at TWS (green group) using the rennline tow hook mount...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nevBeSerh5A

The sound was all jacked up which is the reason for the music. Also it ends early because I was trying to keep the size lower.
Terrific film.. I do lots of underwater films and use Roxy to convert. I have found it best to choose email settings for youtube. The finished product is good in HD and low in bytes. Good enough for youtube or Vimeo anyway. So what speed did you get up too along the stretches.? That track surface leaves a lot to be desired especially on the corners.. Lots of it seems to be patched up. Is that usual for these tracks or are some better finished than others. Does the bad surface effect the handing of the car on the corners? Anyway thanks very much for putting your film up for me to oggle at.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

It really depends on what you intend the footage to be used for. If you just want to watch yourself in a track critique, then mounting in the car on a roll bar makes sense. You'll notice that despite how fast you are actually going, it will look much slower because the lens on a GoPro is very wide.

If you intend to edit footage together, GoPro footage makes for great B-roll. The lower to the ground the camera is mounted (front lip, low on a fender or bumper), the faster the car will appear to be going. The higher (roof, wings, windows, etc) the slower the footage will look.

The GoPro is not a good A camera and you should keep that in mind when you're asking friends to watch your footage. it will probably be interesting to you but not very much to anyone else. That is unless you crash or something.

If you watch closely in this video, you can see the cameras mounted on many of the cars. However you'll notice despite having tons of angles, we barley use any of the footage from them because they're really best for adding some extra "spice"

https://vimeo.com/41189487

Also, keep your videos short. Around 2 minutes or less and more people will actually watch them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hardback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acKrr...yer_detailpage

Here are a few laps at Homestead. This was my first visit back to the track after my rebuild. Can was strong but I had to cut the day short due to a crankshaft seal leak. The 996 in front of me had either a turbo or supercharger.

Im driving with NASA in a couple weeks. Now that Im familiar with ideal mounting locations I will post more videos after that event.
Awesome Video Hardback and thanks for posting. The road surface on this track looks more desirable. The GOPRO camera is so steady on all I have seen. I have to get myself one of those. I could even use it on shallow dives. The wide angle it produces is over the top in some cases and bends the lines way to much but under water it would not show as it doesnt on a flat road surface. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine attached to the center of my harness bar which is a great location.

Check out this crazy video
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Stuck on the windshield of my '99 996 at Road Atlanta in March. First time at the track with that car after going there for 15 years in my 944 Turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC2ed...e_gdata_player
Holy Moly Doug I was getting car sickness with that angle. Where that camera was placed inside the car gave me the effect that I was driving, especially when you overtook on the bend. What a great video. Thanks so much and that is the same year as my 996. I will have to track mine one of these days if it's only to say that I have actually raced my car lol. I have had it up to 150 but not saying where. I lived in Germany for 5 years in the early 90s but those days I couldnt afford a 911. I would love to have blasted along the Autobahn. What is the nearest track to Lancaster PA does anyone know?

Quick Reply: GO PRO CAMERA ON 996