Sponsored by:

Good shop/mechanic needed in the SF Bay Area or Sac

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good shop/mechanic needed in the SF Bay Area or Sac

So I've had my car for a few weeks now, and my first real DIY went awry, so I'll be in need of a shop soon to deal with it (air bag removal to fix horn). But I'm also looking for a shop to use going forward for issues too big for me that might arise. I'm in Benicia, so basically, the East Bay is ideal, but I can be in San Jose in an hour, or Sacramento in an hour.

What say you all?

Thanks,
keyothwy
PS-Am I missing it? Why isn't there a dedicated thread on shops, sorted geographically?

Last edited by keytohwy; 05-01-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you do? You should check if any listers on here can help. I'm sure there are many DIYers on board that would be glad to help out.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Foreign Autohaus of El Dorado Hills (just outside Sacramento) is worth the trip. The owner is a Porsche enthusiast. My car is there right now for a bad throw out bearing.
Sharkwerks has also done work on my car for the previous owner. It might be closer to you. The owner, Alex, has always been helpful to me when I have called to ask performance questions.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A LOT closer than San Jose, but still a ways, Jimmy Prountos at Juniper Serra Auto is absolutely a top-guy. he was a referral from Rennlist and I have used him for 10 years. His whole family works on Porsches and his Dad has been in the business his whole life. You CANNOT go wrong with these guys. Most honest and thorough people I have ever dealt with.

They are right off the freeway:
365 87th Street, Daly City, CA 94015
(650) 992-0978

Business card below:

Good luck!

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

These are great recommendations, please keep them coming.

The first response; I have an inoperable horn that is probably a bad air bag retainer. You need to remove two, just two, screws from the back of the steering wheel to get the air bag off and perform the change out. The screws are T30 torx, inset about an inch and a half. One of the screw heads appears to be stripped. Hard to really tell, and impossible to really see. I've tried as much as I want to without damaging anything else.

someone versed in this stuff, and with the correct tools, could probably make quick work of it. Yes, I'd love a lister to take me up on my free beer or wine offer. I also grill a mean steak
Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porboys in Oakland serviced many of the air-cooled cars at PCA autocross - not sure how well they do with water-cooled - I didn't go there myself - but closer to you than sacto or san jose. Kahlers in Dublin is also PCA sponsor - might be worth checking out also ....
Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also try Valhalla Automotive over in Lafayette. I haven't used them myself, but have heard really good reviews from several people who have. Also, they are a lot closer to Benicia than someone in Sac or the South Bay.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Lafayette, now that is sounding better. Thought for sure I'd hear of something in Walnut Creek. There's a dealer there, and last weekend between Danville and Concord, the number of Carrera and Boxsters on 680 was like squirrels in a park.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the SF Bay and Sac shop advice coming everybody! I need your thoughts, too.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 AM
GTRSR
AutoX

I asked a close friend (and Porsche racer) for recommendations in the bay area when we bought our 996. I chose Marc at Ken's Sportech (in Campbell) although I wouldn't hesitate taking my car to Bob at RMG enterprises (Sunnyvale) or Don at Don's Autoworks (Campbell). There are many other world class shops in this area....
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
9elf-joy
AutoX

I would also highly recommend 9elf Motorsports in Santa Rosa. Michael Rose is factory trained and does mod work as well. Great guy and very reasonable.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I was very pleased with Marvin at the Renn Shop in Santa Clara.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flintworks in Campbell or heyer performance in mountain view ......
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
Lafayette, now that is sounding better. Thought for sure I'd hear of something in Walnut Creek. There's a dealer there, and last weekend between Danville and Concord, the number of Carrera and Boxsters on 680 was like squirrels in a park.
Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek is a good dealer. I've used it several times to service my Boxster, (the short lived) Cayman S and Turbo. I bought the Cayman S there.

I live very close to Livermore Porsche and use it almost all the time. Good shop and good people. Had my Turbo in today with no forewarning for a road worthiness inspection and the SM and techs got the car in and on a lift and checked out in no time. Checked/adjusted tire pressures, checked fluid levels, checked for leaks, nails in tires, etc and at no charge. I could have had the car washed too, all I had to do was accept the offer to wash it.

The only indy shop I've used and just two or 3 times is Kahlers in Dublin. I have not used this shop in over 6 years so I do not know what it is like now.

There's another indy shop in Pleasanton -- it has been recommended to me but I've never used it -- and I do not recall its name, but if it still is in business it is located south of Stanley Blvd. and west of Bernal, just a block or two south and west in that corner.

I think the shop might be (barely) visible from Stanley if you know where the shop is already.

Rector Porsche in Burlingame is a good dealer too. I've used the service department a few times for both of my cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

+1 for Flintworks in Campbell. Don't know anyone else up north.

Quick Reply: Good shop/mechanic needed in the SF Bay Area or Sac