Sponsored by:

To purchase or not to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To purchase or not to purchase

I found what seems to be a very nice 1999 C2 aero package with 80,000 miles.

I got the owner all the way down to $17.500 since the car has had an accident and has been sprayed on the one side.

After a very good PPI, they uncovered that the car needs, front / rear rotors and pads. Cylinder #6 Spark plug tube leaking. I would replace all tubes and plugs. It is going to need a clutch soon, the test drive notes were (driver could feel a little vibration on the clutch and linked that to the throw out bearing) so it's going to need a clutch. While I am there I minus well go through the motion of IMS/RMS/AOS/Water pump/drive belt etc...

Now that I know all of this, the car basically needs $6500 plus in parts an labor.

I still would like the car because once I complete the maintenance I pretty much have a fresh car for some years ahead. Also knowing that everything is taken car of is piece of mind for me.

My next step is to bring down the price from 17,500 to?

I am going to use the maintence as a substance to drive the price lower. However, I'm just not sure how low, since the deal of 17,500 is pretty good on its own.

When buying a used car there will be things needing fixing sometimes. This car does need a little more than average but I am ok with that.

What should I offer?
Should I purchase or walk away?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I'd walk. Be patient. There are many better cars out there for that price range ($24k).
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the car has had a collision puts me off. Unless the car is at a deep, deep discount, I'd personally be inclined to agree with SacTown Guy and walk away..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Spark plug tubes $280
water pump $980
Front brakes and rotors $740

$17,500 is a good price for the car. Sure, there are other cars out there, but a good aero is harder to find. The owner would be an idiot to accept less than that price. If the accident was a minor scratch, as opposed to collision, then you're getting yourself a good deal. You're looking at a 12 year old car, there are always going to be warts.

You mentioned a bunch of other stuff related to things that may, or more probably may not ever be wrong. I would not factor in the cost of things that you elect to do against a car that might not need it.

If you're afraid of an expensive repair bill, then this car is not for you - Move on and buy something other than a Porsche. People forget that these cars were $80k+ when new, as such they can occasionally come with a steep repair bill - if you can't handle that, then move on.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

All valid points. i am very torn, because i do not mind spending more money for a cleaner car but i have been looking for close to 6 months and it is starting to get old. Sellers are either not motivated to sell, not nice guys, or want way to much for a depreciated car.

I am going to see if i can work on a better price, but i do believe $17,500 is a good start and i can make it a project.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The thing about 911s is that they don't usually depreciate much below $20K, regardless of how old they are. The 996 has pretty much hit bottom at this point and it becomes harder and harder to find pristine cars.

Additionally, the low purchase price attracts people who cannot really afford to maintain them well and they quickly get in over their head, either by buying a car that needs a lot of work, or by them buying a car that they can't afford to maintain if something goes wrong.

I love my aero - it's more distinctive and prettier than a stock 996 - great car, no regrets buying it and after almost 7 years I'm in no hurry to sell it.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

For what it's worth - when I was shopping for my car I spent 7 days looking. I bought on day 7. I drove a grand total of 3 cars.

I can understand you getting tired if you've been looking for 6 months. At some point there has to be a realization that you're not going to find the perfect car that would be exactly as you would have ordered it new. The thing is that at this point people will hold on to good cars, so finding the gems will only get tougher.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Hello...,

Brake and pads let say $600.00
Leaking spark plugs (just no 6) DIY $10.00 (if the others do not leak why to replace them..)

If i understand well you can easily drive the car for the rest of summer with no major problem...

If the car is straight with no major accident i would buy it with no problem.
Good luck

Robert
2000 C4
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches996
Hello...,

Brake and pads let say $600.00
Leaking spark plugs (just no 6) DIY $10.00 (if the others do not leak why to replace them..)

If i understand well you can easily drive the car for the rest of summer with no major problem...

If the car is straight with no major accident i would buy it with no problem.
Good luck

Robert
2000 C4
I agree. $17,500 is a great entry price. Pads and rotors are an easy DIY. Do the clutch when it needs replacement, but don't penalize the seller because 'you' want to do the IMSB, water pump etc. GL
Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the owner have pictures of the accident?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by DJonathanSilva
All valid points. i am very torn, because i do not mind spending more money for a cleaner car but i have been looking for close to 6 months and it is starting to get old. Sellers are either not motivated to sell, not nice guys, or want way to much for a depreciated car.

I am going to see if i can work on a better price, but i do believe $17,500 is a good start and i can make it a project.

Any other thoughts?
Never focus on a good deal, focus on obtaining the best Porsche you can. If you have $24k available I would prefer a below average MKII to a pristine MKI
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DJonathanSilva
I found what seems to be a very nice 1999 C2 aero package with 80,000 miles.

I got the owner all the way down to $17.500 since the car has had an accident and has been sprayed on the one side.

After a very good PPI, they uncovered that the car needs, front / rear rotors and pads. Cylinder #6 Spark plug tube leaking. I would replace all tubes and plugs. It is going to need a clutch soon, the test drive notes were (driver could feel a little vibration on the clutch and linked that to the throw out bearing) so it's going to need a clutch. While I am there I minus well go through the motion of IMS/RMS/AOS/Water pump/drive belt etc...

Now that I know all of this, the car basically needs $6500 plus in parts an labor.

I still would like the car because once I complete the maintenance I pretty much have a fresh car for some years ahead. Also knowing that everything is taken car of is piece of mind for me.

My next step is to bring down the price from 17,500 to?

I am going to use the maintence as a substance to drive the price lower. However, I'm just not sure how low, since the deal of 17,500 is pretty good on its own.

When buying a used car there will be things needing fixing sometimes. This car does need a little more than average but I am ok with that.

What should I offer?
Should I purchase or walk away?
It is not a $17,500 car, but a $24,000 car after you spend the estimated (and I bet the estimate's a bit low...) $6500 to bring the car into the condition it should be in to warrant even the $17,500 price.

Thus at $17.5K the deal is not a good deal unless the market for similar cars that do not *need anything* is $24K in which case getting the car for $17.5K and spending $6500 puts the car into the ball park market price and the car becomes an ok deal.

Maybe.

As long as you're sure the car's condition is ok. Sometimes one focuses on the things that stand out and misses bigger issues/more serious issues.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Had to do a double take on your username.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The very and only thing I would do after purchase is pull the plugs. 2 hours labor and borescope the cylinders. Looking for wear/scoring, pooling of oil at bottom of cylinder and residue of oil being burnt on spark plug.
Depending on the results, sell it right away saying plugs were just done or if good results do the rest of the work and enjoy the car.

PPI doesn't do this, which to me means the PPI is worthless with out it being done. Your taking a risk with any used 996 .
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

previous accident history even if it was minor is a major PITA when and if you ever want to sell or trade in the car.

Good luck

Quick Reply: To purchase or not to purchase