Sponsored by:

Exahust smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 AM
One Nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exahust smoke on startup

First let me say that I have searched this forum for a few hours on this topic and now I'm more confused... This is the second time that I have started my 04 c2 cab and had blue smoke coming from the pass side exahust only. Based on the age or the mileage of the car I dont think the AOS is suspect, as it only has 37K mi. on it. It smoked for a very short time maybe 3 sec. and it was gone.. Only thing in common is that the day before was hot aprx 90* when parked then it was started and moved up the driveway (no smoke) and shut down about 15 sec run time. It sat overnight then in the morning startup and a bit of smoke I've tried to duplicate this for weeks but I can not duplicate it. There is vaccume at the oil filler cap but I can easily remove it with the motor running. The idle goes up when it's removed. It does run smooth and pulls hard threw the entire rpm range. There are no oil leaks anywhere not even seepage I changed the oil a few weeks ago being careful not to overfill. I do have the LN engineering spin on filter and I use AMSOIL 5-40 european Fully synthetic oil. My question is could the AOS be going bad and be intermittent. Items I have checked....

1) Oil level good and clean NO WATER
2) Water res tank full and appears clean no gunk
3) Oil fill cap has a bit of vaccume when running
4) No oil leaking anywhere

Thanks for the help...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. My carrera does it every now and then. I was told from a porsche tech that it was the design of the engine that allows for a little bit of oil to sometimes pool up and burn off on start. Not sure how true that is but I haven't worried about it and it happens very rarely.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced the same issue over the past 4+ years. Took the car to the dealer the 2nd time it happened and the mechanic explained that it was because of the short run time. It only happens when I back the car out of the garage and immeditately shut it down. Let it sit for a few hours and upon start up I get the smoke. Never happens otherwise. I don't worry about, just one more excuse to drive the car even when I have no where to go. Drive and enjoy.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
I have experienced the same issue over the past 4+ years. Took the car to the dealer the 2nd time it happened and the mechanic explained that it was because of the short run time. It only happens when I back the car out of the garage and immeditately shut it down. Let it sit for a few hours and upon start up I get the smoke. Never happens otherwise. I don't worry about, just one more excuse to drive the car even when I have no where to go. Drive and enjoy.
Sorry to hijack....

silotwo, I see that you have a 996 C2 & C4. What are your driving impressions?

I own a C2, but I have driven a couple of C4s, and I prefer it to the C4. No disrespect to the C4 owners out there, but IMHO the AWD zaps some of the go-kart steering feel and HP. Although, the C4 certainly has an advantage in less than ideal conditions.

What is your take on the two? VERY few of us have the 1st hand experience that you do. Sorry if I have missed a previous thread where you have explained this...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
One Nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea exactly short run times seems the only common factor I'm not worried just concerned its done it 2X's in 14K miles. Thanks for the help
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by One Nut
yea exactly short run times seems the only common factor I'm not worried just concerned its done it 2X's in 14K miles. Thanks for the help
Pulled mine out of the driveway and back in to reposition it for detailing work. Same thing happened on the next start up, but not since.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi DreamCarrera- the C2, in my opinion, is the fast and fun car out of the two, closer to pure sports car. I describe the C4S as powerful and pleasant though, and the build quality is definitely better. The C2 gets there faster but the C4S stops faster (love those brakes).

The problem with having them both is that I enjoy them equally so it would be difficult to say which one I would choose if I had to choose between them. Kind of like the 3 kids, same parents and raised in the same home and environment, yet each one has distinct traits, and like the kids, I love and appreciate them equally.

I agree with your perception on the steering and accelaration. Even the boys say the C2 is definitely quicker and more fun. As to the handling, the C2 does have the U.S. MO30 suspension where the C4S has a touring suspension - so that is not a fair comparison. The C2 does handle much more like she is on rails but on the long haul she is no where near as comfortable as the C4S.

The boys always choose to go in the C2 when I ask which 996 we should take, the wife on the other hand always chooses the C4S.

For now I will enjoy them both - and I am lucky in that both cars have PSE and OEM SSK making the familiarity when swapping rides a plus.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Hi DreamCarrera- the C2, in my opinion, is the fast and fun car out of the two, closer to pure sports car. I describe the C4S as powerful and pleasant though, and the build quality is definitely better. The C2 gets there faster but the C4S stops faster (love those brakes).

The problem with having them both is that I enjoy them equally so it would be difficult to say which one I would choose if I had to choose between them. Kind of like the 3 kids, same parents and raised in the same home and environment, yet each one has distinct traits, and like the kids, I love and appreciate them equally.

I agree with your perception on the steering and accelaration. Even the boys say the C2 is definitely quicker and more fun. As to the handling, the C2 does have the U.S. MO30 suspension where the C4S has a touring suspension - so that is not a fair comparison. The C2 does handle much more like she is on rails but on the long haul she is no where near as comfortable as the C4S.

The boys always choose to go in the C2 when I ask which 996 we should take, the wife on the other hand always chooses the C4S.

For now I will enjoy them both - and I am lucky in that both cars have PSE and OEM SSK making the familiarity when swapping rides a plus.

Thanks

Enjoy the fraternal twins...

Quick Reply: Exahust smoke on startup