groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,829 Likes on 2,860 Posts

glad previous owner did mine last year
Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and finally took the light assembly out & replaced the little running lights on the side of the headlights...$4.99 for two at Pep Boys, however the little studs at the bottom were not like the Porsche running lights and were 90 degrees as opposed to how the OEM are...filed on of them down and stuck it in and locked it

just fine...i'm sure these lights are not this price at the dealer...

...I will do this again...in about 5 years-

Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lingpoen
[B]...and finally took the light assembly out & replaced the little running lights on the side of the headlights...$4.99 for two at Pep Boys, however the little studs at the bottom were not like the Porsche running lights and were 90 degrees as opposed to how the OEM are...filed on of them down and stuck it in and locked it
I replaced mine with very bright LEDs. Now I can use them as daytime running lights when needed. It took four online purchases to get a pair that fits because a lot of companies advertise H6W lamp compatibility, but in reality little studs on those lamps are at 180 degrees, so they don't fit. One pair had the studs in the right places but was twice the diameter of an H6W.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

lingpoen..."however the little studs at the bottom were not like the Porsche running lights and were 90 degrees as opposed to how the OEM are...filed on of them down and stuck it in and locked it"

sort of reminds me of the time i was on a date 30 years ago and the headlights in my 1980 911sc were dim and almost completely out. i checked fuses and headlight fuse was suspect. i wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the fuse and worked great.
when we got home the underside of the dash started smoking like it was on fire. i quickly removed the foiled fuse and had totally burned the wiring harness.

$2600 later the new wiring harness was installed by my mechanic
Old 06-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
lingpoen..."however the little studs at the bottom were not like the Porsche running lights and were 90 degrees as opposed to how the OEM are...filed on of them down and stuck it in and locked it"

sort of reminds me of the time i was on a date 30 years ago and the headlights in my 1980 911sc were dim and almost completely out. i checked fuses and headlight fuse was suspect. i wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the fuse and worked great.
when we got home the underside of the dash started smoking like it was on fire. i quickly removed the foiled fuse and had totally burned the wiring harness.

So, uh...sounds like a hot date.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lingpoen..."however the little studs at the bottom were not like the Porsche running lights and were 90 degrees as opposed to how the OEM are...filed on of them down and stuck it in and locked it" sort of reminds me of the time i was on a date 30 years ago and the headlights in my 1980 911sc were dim and almost completely out. i checked fuses and headlight fuse was suspect. i wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the fuse and worked great. when we got home the underside of the dash started smoking like it was on fire. i quickly removed the foiled fuse and had totally burned the wiring harness. $2600 later the new wiring harness was installed by my mechanic
$2600! Hope you got dumplings with that.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:42 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

Ha!! Reminds me of one of my earliest dates with my now ex. Had an old motorcycle and it died while we were out cruising in the Hollywood hills. I finally found a short circuit. Walked down the road a bit until I found an old gum wrapper. Peeled the foil off of it, wrapped the blown fuse in it, and we were good to go. Yes, got lucky that night.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:27 PM
lingpoen
Racer

...thanks a lot Groove...now I scared to turn the damn things on!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:29 PM
lingpoen
Racer

...and Cuda...u got layed with a gum wrapper???
Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

I think it was probably in the 60's. It was a lot easier to get layed back then. :P
Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

just wanted to make sure nobody else thinks/trouble shoots with their smaller head
Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Originally Posted by Hal
I did my radiators in March and found pretty much the same thing as the OP. Then last weekend I ran a DE with Sunday being in the mid 80's. I found that the engine temps (as read by the dash gauge) were pretty much the same as a DE last November prior to cleaning them.

This is not to say that trash is OK, but rather don't look for huge cooling improvements when most of the radiator is clean.
The temperature is not the only side effect of blocked grills, what you will find is the fans will run more frequently as the system will get warmer a greater % of the time and also the air con will be less effective as the flowrate across the fins and so the variation in the gases across the refrigeration system is lower.

O SR
Old 08-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Delete
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

Indeed, looked liked a total MacGyver god with that gum wrapper repair.

Slickyricky, good point about the fans.

Quick Reply: Just took off my bumper and cleaned my radiators...my thoughts