Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Operation Normal?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Operation Normal?

I never had manual car with Cruise control. So I almost got a heart attack when driving on a highway I pressed the clutch got the gear out and the engine reved to the max, till I guess the limiter shut the fuel off. Is this normal? I am assuming I have to turn of cruise before taking the car out of gear?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 771 Posts

This is not normal. When you depress the clutch pedal, the cruise control should deactivate.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

There should be a switch down by the clutch pedal. May someone bypassed it.
Car you start your car without depressing the clutch pedal? Make sure the car is in neutral.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not normal. The clutch should deactivate it. Check the switch. It's right below the clutch helper spring assembly if I remember correctly.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe there are two switches which disengage the cruise control. One on the brake pedal and the other on the clutch pedal SOMEWHERE. Obviously your clutch one is not working as it should be working. Does the cruise control disengage as you press your brake? It should do as well. Its a simple little job I believe to change a switch but prettyhard to get under the dash upside down hehe. So if someone hasn't been messing around under the dash messing with wires they shouldn't have been messing with, then it can only be your switch(s) which need changing. If they look the same and the brake one disengages the cruise control as you brake, you could swap one switch for the other and then if the brake does not disengage the cruise control but now the clutch one does, you know for certain that you have one bad switch... Good luck with the fix.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Yeah, definitely not normal, should disengage. Agreed, there is a little switch under the clutch that is either faulty or has been disabled.

Not to hijack a thread, but here goes... I have a '99, and my gas pedal makes quite a noise when I tap the brake or hit the clutch as the cruise control dis-engages, does anyone else's do this? It sounds like a spring releasing rapidly...as opposed to any other car I've owned with cruise control that makes NO noise when the cruise control disables.

Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSST
Not normal. The clutch should deactivate it. Check the switch. It's right below the clutch helper spring assembly if I remember correctly.
This could be related to me removing the helper spring few weeks ago.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Yes, definitely related to the helper spring removal. Look for the relay/contact under the clutch that triggers the cruise control, I would say it is bent, or broken.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

More often when you remove the spring there will be play in the pedal and the cruise will disengage when you hit a bump or not engage at all. Did you tape the switch closed?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pedal-mod.html

Last edited by fpb111; 04-26-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Invius
Yeah, definitely not normal, should disengage. Agreed, there is a little switch under the clutch that is either faulty or has been disabled.

Not to hijack a thread, but here goes... I have a '99, and my gas pedal makes quite a noise when I tap the brake or hit the clutch as the cruise control dis-engages, does anyone else's do this? It sounds like a spring releasing rapidly...as opposed to any other car I've owned with cruise control that makes NO noise when the cruise control disables.

You can hear mine as it disengages and I have a 99 also. A click from down by my knee area. Mind you I have a false knee in my left so it may be that... NO NO NO Only kidding.. Its a defo click noise as the cruise control disengages as the clutch pedal is pressed. Not really noticed as the brake is pressed but I will listen next time.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

"Not to hijack a thread, but here goes... I have a '99, and my gas pedal makes quite a noise when I tap the brake or hit the clutch as the cruise control dis-engages, does anyone else's do this? It sounds like a spring releasing rapidly...as opposed to any other car I've owned with cruise control that makes NO noise when the cruise control disables."

99 have the cable operated gas pedal. Maybe when you engage cruise it allows/creates a little play in the mechanism that "snaps" shut when the throttle is released by disengaging the cruise?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeswift
OOps! Maybe try that excuse some time later when the car bolts past a policeman
Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Invius

I have a '99 and it is exactly like this. Startled me the first time I hit the brakes. Completely normal.
The following users liked this post:
Elumere (07-07-2022)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for answering my cruise question -- I was hoping it was normal, but wanted to confirm. I'm with Down South, a little startling the first time it happened.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeswift
Yeh that would do it. People shouldn't mess with German design or engineering. Theres always something seems to happen down the road when something is altered. Put the spring back and things will be ok again. Everything on the Porsche is there for a reason. I never understood the logic of the spring removal when I was reading the thread a few weeks ago. They were saying the clutch pedal felt better when the spring was removed. There must have been something wrong with the clutch in the first place. My spring is still there and theres nothing wrong with the feel of my pedal. I don't stall the car on take off. And I defy any 996 driver to take off faster than I do in a 1999 C2 Cab if put to the test.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Operation Normal?