996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2nd Gear Detent Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gbox detent worked for me, when I first bought my 99 last year with 117K miles, it was popping out of second a lot, very anoying. After installation of Gbox detent have not had the problem since. I now have 126K on the car.
It was difficult to get the old detent out. By manually working the shifter back and forth at the transmission it came out enough to get some plyers on it and wiggle it out the rest of thee way.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its definately worth doing, thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
Did you make your own detent? Or perhaps you modified your old detent by filing it down? Please elaborate.
Correct I had my friend who has a machine shop do it for me so it engages all the way and help with the pop-out.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 PM
RandalJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a tip for extracting the old detent if you have the tranny in the car and you are working from underneath.

I was getting nowhere fast with the magnet - too much resistance, but there is a hole bored through the center of the detent, which can be used for extraction.

Get a hanger or thin steel rod, cut to about five inch length, and put a sharp bend in it about an inch from the end. Then cut the wire at the bend so that there is a slight bur on the tip from the bend. Test it on your new detent to verify that it will grab. Bend the other end of the wire 90 degrees, toward the first bend so you can get a good grip on it when you push the old detent out. So the wire will now be in the shape of an "L". Now insert the burred end of the wire all the way through the detent, hook the burred end, and it will pull (push from your point of view) out like a wine cork, only easier...
The following users liked this post:
P12 (01-24-2023)

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear Detent Fix