Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default IPD Plenum

Does anyone have an opinion on the IPD Plenum in the way of cost vs. benefit?
Also can anyone share the installation instructions? I just am curious what is all involved with installing this.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Jdog!
Lot's and lot's of opinions written on this subject on 6speedonline both pro and con,
even before/after dyno tests.
I found it a bit pricey but installed it and my personal feeling is that the car absolutely felt more "lively" that is to say that I felt that it revved up from midrange to redline faster.
For me it was very noticeable but many will disagree.
Perhaps because I had already installed exhaust mod and chip flash it was tying everything together?
I won't make any strong claims to encourage anyone that they "have to do this mod" but I am happy with my perception of the benefit.
Pete
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have heard, the intake plenum is probably the best place to try and create some power, but as N/A cars go, especially the 996, the cost far out weighs the benefit. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Did the GIAC chip flash, IDP plenum and EVO intake. I then did the suspension a few years later (PSS9's plus strut tower brace plus aggressive alignment).
Hard to say whether the engine work accomplished anything but a great sound. Easy to say that the suspension work plus a lot of seat time improved track performance significantly.
I think I would still do it but would reverse the order.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I recall, take out the stock airbox, the hose connected to the stock plenum, then remove the four bolts of the stock plenum.

As far as cost goes, I bought mine at a discount years ago when it first was offered. I don't know if I would pay full price for it if I had it all to do again. Also, I have several other bolt ons and GIAC ECU tuning so I can't speak for it's individual gains. However, I have had no problems passing stock 996's and lightly modded 996 S models plus a few other cars I'm not supposed to beat.

The reason most don't think bolt ons don't work on this board is because they don't go head to head against other 996s and they don't dyno their vehicles.

I say all of this to say, if you don't plan on going head to head with other cars don't buy it because, as with most bolt on's of NA vehicles, its easy to get used to and hard to "feel" any increases in HP and or TQ gains from bolt ons and Software upgrades.

Originally Posted by jdog
Does anyone have an opinion on the IPD Plenum in the way of cost vs. benefit?
Also can anyone share the installation instructions? I just am curious what is all involved with installing this.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 C4 with the IPD plenum, Fabspeed Maxflo Mufflers and Intake and easily pulled on a 997.1 C4S in 3rd and 4th gear... So I would say the bolt ons certainly made a difference.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
Hey Jdog!
Lot's and lot's of opinions written on this subject on 6speedonline both pro and con,
even before/after dyno tests.
I found it a bit pricey but installed it and my personal feeling is that the car absolutely felt more "lively" that is to say that I felt that it revved up from midrange to redline faster.
For me it was very noticeable but many will disagree.
Perhaps because I had already installed exhaust mod and chip flash it was tying everything together?
I won't make any strong claims to encourage anyone that they "have to do this mod" but I am happy with my perception of the benefit.
Pete
I agree with Pete, it does feel more lively in the midrange and quicker to redline. To me it is worth the cost versus the benefit As far as installation goes, it was done along with other issues my car had so not sure what it cost to install.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

If IPD would make the plenum more reasonably priced, say sub $350, they would sell a million of them. As it is, at $875 or more, I bet they sell very few.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trapperdog
If IPD would make the plenum more reasonably priced, say sub $350, they would sell a million of them. As it is, at $875 or more, I bet they sell very few.
Agree 100%. $875 is ridiculous. Better off spending that money on coaching if you want to see results.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it used, they come up, 400-500. My mid range feels nearly explosive at 4500rpm. I am getting the car dyno'd in a couple of weeks and can report back. On a six figure car $875 is peanuts. From my resarch some guys will never beleive anything adds power. For the N/A cars it is marginal but still fun and provides a car with better sound and feel as well as some power. I love getting in my car now, it is transformational with the mods., where before it was missing something. Now need to add the good driver mod!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What about the Techno Torque? It seems similar in concept and is quite a bit less... I was thinking of getting one for mine.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html

David
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
What about the Techno Torque? It seems similar in concept and is quite a bit less... I was thinking of getting one for mine.

David
I watched the demo and it appears to be the same principal as the Plenum at a much reduced price If I didn't already have the plenum, I would consider one of these
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reborn996

David
I think you should get one and report back on your results!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I would try that. It would depend on how the red piece is held in place.

For reference my bolt on's and ECU reflash puts me at 275hp to the wheels and 246tq SAE Dynojet Dyno.

Originally Posted by trapperdog
I think you should get one and report back on your results!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

A 996 at 6 figures, only if you count the figures after the decimal point. Seriously maybe when they were first sold and heavily loaded, but 996's are in the low low 5 figures now days, so $875 is not insignificant. I know that they had a lot of development and tooling costs but I have wondered for some time now why they have not drooped the price. Those are sunk costs and the unit cost for fabrication can't be more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum