Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Noob first post - 996 turbo coupe or Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Another P
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob first post - 996 turbo coupe or Cab?

Hello, all. Lurked for awhile learning from you all! Finally taking the plunge for a 996TT. Deciding between coupe or Cab, and wanted to know if there are any odd or weird things I would need to know about the cab that I would encounter. Apart from cosmetic comments, are there historical problems with the Cabriolet? This will be a DD, and will be building it with an EVOMS kit most likely to get into 650-700hp after buying.
Two finailists are an 03 tip coupe, and an 04 tip cab. Otherwise mileage and options are quite similar.
Help?! Many thanks!
Great to be here!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Esexx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat. I wanted a coup, but found a cab.

I am weighing in options right now.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have C4 tip cab. That being said, if you are taking the car to that level of performance, why would you choose a tiptronic? They don't call it a slush box for nothing.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM
theoilman
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, convertibles in general don't age well especially being daily drivers, I would also think about the kind of weather you see up there in MN. Less desirable on the market when you may decide to sell it too.

I would also be very apprehensive running that kind of power with the tiptronic everyday.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I would think Turbo cabriolets from that era came standard with the (otherwise optional) hardtop. Be sure the seller is giving that to you as part of the deal. If not:

Are you storing the car in the winter? Agree with above that cabrio's don't age well as DD in freezing winters. Also, all the four wheel drive in the world won't tame 600 hp on ice slick winter roads.

Most sanctioning bodies including PCA will never let you do a track day in a cabrio that does not have a fixed roll bar that meets their criteria (not YOUR criteria). Although some will let you raise the pop-up rolls bars, others will not accept that. And they don't have to. Their rules, not yours.

But you said you were only going to use it as a DD. With 600+ HP? Really? Street racing? DRAG racing? Not for that car. When you install that EVOMS kit, also have a priest administer your Last Rites.
And don't come crying here when that tranny blows up.

On the other hand, late Spring and early Fall in Minn are perfect for a Cabrio!

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Another P
Advanced

Default great feedback

Great comments, questions, and challenges.
1. Yes it does have the hardtop
2. I have a fairly quick Audi RS4 I use in the winter here. With snow tires, and reasonable adult driving, never scared me.
3. I'm candidly very concerned with the whole "popping out" issue with 6 spds. Whats the deal and is there a fix? Id rather dial down the conversion and stick with tip than have eternal problems.
4. I track my other car, so dont need to track this. Just like to have a fast car! But if I do take it once or twice a year, the local clubs allow the ahrdtop as acceptable for DEs.

Love to hear the scoop on the 6spd issues. Thanks all! Cant wait to get mine!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Another P
Great comments, questions, and challenges.

3. I'm candidly very concerned with the whole "popping out" issue with 6 spds. Whats the deal and is there a fix? Id rather dial down the conversion and stick with tip than have eternal problems.

Love to hear the scoop on the 6spd issues. Thanks all! Cant wait to get mine!
There really hasn't been a constant problem with the pop-out problem across the board. Yes, there have been some. Not a major issue. Just seem to be a current (this week) problem. Historically, Porsche manual transmissions have held up extremely well, especially when you consider the punishment they get. Turbo trannies are even beefier.

But you really need to post this particular concern on the 996 Turbo Forum (scroll a little bit further down the Forms list on the home page) for feedback. Happy to have you here on the 996 Forum, but the 996 Turbo Forum will likely have more specific answers for your Turbo ownership questions. We here are largely Normally Aspirated. But you are welcome to ask here, anyway.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

There is an excellent article in the latest issue of Excellence that covers early years of the 996 Turbo. Worth reading it you are considering a purchase. One of the things they talk about is the lack of availability of internal parts for the tip transmission, which means if one fails you end up with a replacement rather than a repair. This can be very expensive and the turbos put a lot of stress on the trans. They also warn about high output engine, that it is easy to add 100+ hp to one of these engines but that it can really stress the internals, etc. which were not designed for 500-600+ hp.

The other thing to remember is that the cab is not as stiff as the coupe, and if you go the high output route this might become more of an issue.

All that being said for a DD the cab is great, I love my cab and would not really consider a coupe. If I want a coupe I will find a 928 in great condition like I used to have.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

plenty of guys running well over 700 hp on stock based motors, they are built for it. Check out turbo and speedonline forums, pass on the tiptronic. if you want over 600awhp internal mods like forged comnecting rods would be required, talk to someone like Switzer and get first hand information.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know what use 700HP is in a daily driver, but the cab makes an excellent daily driver, especially with the hard top.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Another P
Advanced

Doh.....total noob fail! I see the 996 TT forum. Many thanks, Mark (and others).
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So Another P has gone to another forum...It was either that or go to Cape Canaveral.. 700HP on a DD?Give me a break. All Porsche drivers are a little crazy... I know... Some more than others. lol.

Quick Reply: Noob first post - 996 turbo coupe or Cab?