Sponsored by:

996 turbo kit or supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak535
Show you are a real man by declining those challenges. You have nothing to prove and are only endangering yourself, others, and your car.
Thank you for the life lesson, 8 years later.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 PM
Kodiak535
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Thank you for the life lesson, 8 years later.
Any time. That’s what I’m here for.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak535
Show you are a real man by declining those challenges. You have nothing to prove and are only endangering yourself, others, and your car.
You come off like the guy who starts the slow clap after a bully and a nerd shake hands after not fighting in a 1980's John Huges movie.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:54 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawson4323
A) Unfortunently you won't find much of that going on here. I'am still new to the Porsche forums but there's no where near as many people doing serious hp mods as people would do in the for example bmw forums

B) If your asking this question forget about any aftermarket turbo Porsche. You'll reget it big time. Get yourself a little car like a Jetta vr6 and turbo that. Build a kit yourself and familiarize yourself with turbo cars. You'll gain more then 300whp and youll kill your bank account far less. Right now your not ready.. Sorry. Then again if you really got that cash then go for it.. Make sure you put up a build thread to motivate others.

C) Making more power in anything, any way, any how will cause more stress. It's just the way it is. Boosting a car that came na from 300 to 500hp is a lot and you WILL break things because you WILL want to push it and DON'T kid yourself and say your going to baby it everywhere
+1

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
I've had both (and nitrous too) on many, many cars that I've owned and raced (drag and road course). For the street (and occasional track), I always preferred the instant power of a positive displacement supercharger. The Turbo is more efficient and will always give you more HP and higher trap/top end speed but, it really depends on your goal.

Mike
These two quotes kinda sum it up to me. I spent quite a bit of $ on my motor modding it up short of boosting it and it never made me feel it was worth it for the return feeling in the seat for power. As far as making it more exciting to drive with the money I spent.. oh ya. My Porsche came alive for putting a smile on my face, every corner put a grin on my face. the get up and go isn't horrible but compared to all the American cars I've had over the years supercharged, turboed, nitrous etc. ... ya its going to leave you wanting more.

It comes done to what you want. Its your car, make it what you want. that's what I'm doing with mine.. and I'm really changing mine up, more then any other I've seen on this forum lol

mod on brother
Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 PM
Kodiak535
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
You come off like the guy who starts the slow clap after a bully and a nerd shake hands after not fighting in a 1980's John Huges movie.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:10 AM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So.. for $10K, sell your 996 and buy a 996 turbo. But.. what if you find a NIB turbo kit for $5K. Is the smart money still on buying the factory-turboed 911? I kinda like the idea of a "sleeper" 911.. and with RWD, not AWD.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:28 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

A 5K kit is NOT going to make more power ,, just wont.
Sleeper 911? Now there's two words I would not have put together..
The reason they put AWD on the turbos was to keep them from looping
I prefer the launch that sticks to smoking the tires off.. Especially since tires that
can handle the side load our cars produce can approach 2K a set.. YMMV
Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

No one ever thinks these things out thoroughly, improved braking comes first.

Last edited by 808Bill; 03-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:36 AM
cccampbe
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

turbocharging an m96 will definitely improve its "breaking" potential
The following 4 users liked this post by cccampbe:
Elumere (03-09-2020), jedm3 (03-06-2020), mrdeezy (03-10-2020), NickHolloman (03-19-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:52 PM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
A 5K kit is NOT going to make more power ,, just wont.
Sleeper 911? Now there's two words I would not have put together..
The reason they put AWD on the turbos was to keep them from looping
I prefer the launch that sticks to smoking the tires off.. Especially since tires that
can handle the side load our cars produce can approach 2K a set.. YMMV
Here's a link to the kit, which is $10K and claims 420ish horsepower to the wheels, which is obviously a huge jump over the 275ish that the NA 996s put down. https://www.tpcracing.com/product/tp...-4s-turbo-kit/

Sure, spending $10K plus several grand for install on a 996 probably isn't a sound financial decision, but what if one were to come across a kit that someone had bought but never used, and it was available for half of that $10K?

I like the idea of 420rwhp in a RWD platform--AWD is all well and good for some people, but I prefer managing wheelspin with my right foot, not letting the front tires do the work. AWD "keeps Turbos from looping"??! LOL, good one!

There are family sedans that are quicker than 996s nowadays. So yeah, a Carrera that makes more power than a Turbo would definitely be a sleeper.

If you start with a confirmed-healthy M96, I feel like it would have at least somewhat of a chance of making 400+hp without grenading itself. And.. if it does go boom, then have the rebuild done to be able to handle the boost.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:53 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 756 Posts

Wow! Maybe it's because of my age, but I really don't care about beating family sedans. Sure, there are quicker cars now that can beat a 20 year old sports car. I read on Petrolicious about one new car that can do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. That is amazing...but who really cares? That is beyond human skill to drive. And so, there will always be people poorer than me and richer than me. I don't care. I am totally comfortable with my life and my 996.
And spending $10K to add 120 HP? Engine was not designed for that and will not last long. I'm out for longevity so I can continue to enjoy my 996 as long as possible. Here's my 2 cents...
The following users liked this post:
mrdeezy (03-10-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 02:03 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Just seems like $10k is a lot of money to spend on a risk. Motor swap is more appealing to me. with my motor swap if the motor blows I can pick up another motor from a junk yard for $300, rebuild it for $2k and i'm done. if you boost the 3.4.. rebuild is insane cost and if you add making it stronger to handle the boost that just blew your motor.. makes my exhaust clench just thinking bout it lol. Just seems like a money pit to boost that motor...swap it if you want the hp
Old 03-08-2020, 03:13 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thefleshrocket
Here's a link to the kit, which is $10K and claims 420ish horsepower to the wheels, which is obviously a huge jump over the 275ish that the NA 996s put down. https://www.tpcracing.com/product/tp...-4s-turbo-kit/

Sure, spending $10K plus several grand for install on a 996 probably isn't a sound financial decision, but what if one were to come across a kit that someone had bought but never used, and it was available for half of that $10K?

I like the idea of 420rwhp in a RWD platform--AWD is all well and good for some people, but I prefer managing wheelspin with my right foot, not letting the front tires do the work. AWD "keeps Turbos from looping"??! LOL, good one!

There are family sedans that are quicker than 996s nowadays. So yeah, a Carrera that makes more power than a Turbo would definitely be a sleeper.

If you start with a confirmed-healthy M96, I feel like it would have at least somewhat of a chance of making 400+hp without grenading itself. And.. if it does go boom, then have the rebuild done to be able to handle the boost.
Portland international,, come out of turn 12 in a turbo and punch it,, you'll hit the left hand rail,, then the right hand guard rail after the right hand turn backwards.. The AWD cars don't do that..
High HP, Rear wheel drive and a slight camber change.. Excitement exceeds acceptable limits. Sometimes guys get lucky and they manage to keep it spinning and it slides outward..

You do realize the rebuild cost on these is basically 15 to 20K??? It can be done cheaper.. if your good and can DIY and do the research..

What family sedans do 170+ Stock ?? and sub 5 seconds 0-60,, That cost less than about $80K I'm trying to think of one.. I'm not really in the modern car loop these days..

Note I'm just chatting here,, its all a philosophical debate.. If ya like the idea go for it and please post up the videos, it oughta be impressive..
Old 03-09-2020, 10:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Portland international,, come out of turn 12 in a turbo and punch it,, you'll hit the left hand rail,, then the right hand guard rail after the right hand turn backwards.. The AWD cars don't do that..
High HP, Rear wheel drive and a slight camber change.. Excitement exceeds acceptable limits. Sometimes guys get lucky and they manage to keep it spinning and it slides outward..

You do realize the rebuild cost on these is basically 15 to 20K??? It can be done cheaper.. if your good and can DIY and do the research..

What family sedans do 170+ Stock ?? and sub 5 seconds 0-60,, That cost less than about $80K I'm trying to think of one.. I'm not really in the modern car loop these days..

Note I'm just chatting here,, its all a philosophical debate.. If ya like the idea go for it and please post up the videos, it oughta be impressive..
Chrysler 300SRT is one that comes to mind...Had an 06 and I really miss that car!

But as other have said the m96 is not the platform that can handle forced induction in stock form. LNE can tell you all about it.

Quick Reply: 996 turbo kit or supercharger kit