Sponsored by:

996 turbo kit or supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 turbo kit or supercharger kit

With 315 hp being non competitive on the street at this point I've been taking a serious look into this:
http://www.tpcracing.com/products/TP...CT-Conversion/

a) has anyone had experiences with after-market turbo on a 996 and if so, good/bad?
b) what's the difference between a supercharger kit and a turbo kit?
c) would either kit in b) above be too stressful for my engine causing it to prematurely fail or can the engine handle the extra boost?

520 hp ...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but non competitive on the street? You dont need to be competitive on the street...

Apologies for the flame, but not knowing the answer to question b suggests 315HP is more than enough for you for now.
The following 3 users liked this post by NZ951:
Elumere (03-09-2020), Hksh4w (02-07-2020), mrdeezy (01-14-2020)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A modified car is never as reliable as stock. There is always a trade off, The boost levels are relatively low so lag shouldn't be too bad but there is always some lag. Looks like full boost dosen't hit until about 4,000 rpm.

Finding someone that can do repairs on a modified car is iffy sometimes also.
At $10,000 for the kit I would sell current car put that $10,000 plus the cost of install on top of it and buy a car that was a turbo from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
jedm3 (01-14-2020)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This had been discussed many, MANY, MANY times already. Do a search. If you don't want to read all the crap. The short answer is sell your car, buy a 996 Turbo. Want more, and all the reasons, do a search.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
With 315 hp being non competitive on the street at this point I've been taking a serious look into this:

a) has anyone had experiences with after-market turbo on a 996 and if so, good/bad?
c) would either kit in b) above be too stressful for my engine causing it to prematurely fail or can the engine handle the extra boost?

520 hp ...
Do you honestly think that some guys in a garage know better than 10 years of research from a team of PhD's with a budget consisting of millions of dollars from Porsche? If so, go buy their turbo/supercharger...

The ONLY thing I would mess with, is perhaps mufflers...just for the sound and no other reason.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Sorry but non competitive on the street? You dont need to be competitive on the street...
+1. Not sure what you mean by street competition... Started on the wrong foot.
If you want to have fun, may I suggest participating in DE events (PCA, BMW, etc.).
With a few minor modifications, you will see that your car can actually be very competitive and keep up with much higher HP cars. Straight line power is not the only factor. Cornering and handling is more important. In any case, the biggest mod is behind the wheel... Once you are sure you have reached its limit, you may choose revisit the Supercharging vs. Turbo issues (which is still an interesting topic).

FM

Last edited by 911FM; 04-23-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

520 hp ...
A) Unfortunently you won't find much of that going on here. I'am still new to the Porsche forums but there's no where near as many people doing serious hp mods as people would do in the for example bmw forums

B) If your asking this question forget about any aftermarket turbo Porsche. You'll reget it big time. Get yourself a little car like a Jetta vr6 and turbo that. Build a kit yourself and familiarize yourself with turbo cars. You'll gain more then 300whp and youll kill your bank account far less. Right now your not ready.. Sorry. Then again if you really got that cash then go for it.. Make sure you put up a build thread to motivate others.

C) Making more power in anything, any way, any how will cause more stress. It's just the way it is. Boosting a car that came na from 300 to 500hp is a lot and you WILL break things because you WILL want to push it and DON'T kid yourself and say your going to baby it everywhere
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

sell your car and buy a turbo, will cost the same and it will be RELIABLE !
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the others for big power buy a turbo to start. I did mods and enjoy the car more, its quicker and handles way better and is 10x more fun to drive. If you want to win on the streets you should get a new Mustang, S/C it and have a 10 sec car. Porsches are not about winning on the street, the track though is where they shine, brightly.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

The turbo kit is not too much for your engine to handle. We recommend running the car at 4 to 6 psi with the boost controller. We have several cars with this system and they all run great and very strong.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify on the difference between turbo charger and super charger:
I wasn't asking from a technical perspective but moreso from a "in what situations/driving conditions/scenarios is a super charger the better tool and when is a turbo the better tool?" perspective.

The track is great but 95% of the time, the challenges occur either at a stoplight or on the highway, not the track and the "course" isn't going to have many turns but a straight shot for the most part
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The track is great but 95% of the time, the challenges occur either at a stoplight or on the highway, not the track and the "course" isn't going to have many turns but a straight shot for the most part
LOL
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 809 Posts

I wasn't asking from a technical perspective but moreso from a "in what situations/driving conditions/scenarios is a super charger the better tool and when is a turbo the better tool?" perspective.
There are as many answers to this question as their are turbo/supercharger options.

Generally speaking, a supercharger is going to give you "instant" power, more low end torque and a smoother power curve whereas a turbo will offer more horsepower higher in the power band and will have a more aggressive curve.

With that said, you can make a turbo or supercharger behave in either manner based on the size of the turbine/compressor/pulley/etc. you choose.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Kodiak535
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Show you are a real man by declining those challenges. You have nothing to prove and are only endangering yourself, others, and your car.
The following users liked this post:
Elumere (03-09-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just to clarify on the difference between turbo charger and super charger:

I've had both (and nitrous too) on many, many cars that I've owned and raced (drag and road course). For the street (and occasional track), I always preferred the instant power of a positive displacement supercharger. The Turbo is more efficient and will always give you more HP and higher trap/top end speed but, it really depends on your goal.

Mike

Quick Reply: 996 turbo kit or supercharger kit