Sponsored by:

Go Pro Hd remote cable w/start button

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Go Pro Hd remote cable w/start button

Hey guys-
anyone in here use the GoPro HD camera and have a bit of difficulty with getting to the start button? When I am all strapped in at the track, can't really reach behind to hit the button. Have to start the camera "early" then wait in staging, and this uses battery time and sd card time. Tony Oldham at Ynotmotorsports@yahoo.com had this nifty 8' cable that will work on most of the GoPro Cameras. Your camera needs to have the bus cable hook-up in the back and there is a free software upgrade. You will also need to dremal a small window in the back of the plastic carrying case to accommodate the bus pin connector. No big deal.
Anywho, I just purchased one from Tony (he is in S. Boston, VA and on rennlist, too!) and his customer service is second to none. I have a little problem with the install and he was right on top of it, great service, great advice, great product.
I have no affiliation with Tony or his company, but those who use the GoPro camera and find themselves in a similiar situation, well, now there is an awesome solution. Happy motoring!
R\
Scott
Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I used my gopro for the first time last week. It took really great video but the wind noise was poor when mounted to roof. I found it worked better on the rear fender and allowed engine noise to be recorded. I do wonder why a wireless remote or timer isn't part if their package. I'd like to be able to record after a few warm up laps and then kill it when I'm cooling down to save battery and chip space. The cord you mention is great if camera is inside car but what if you want some body mounted shots? Any chance he is developing a wireless remote as well?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
SWK6Cup

Carey:
You might want to give Tony a buzz to see. Tghere was some discussion of a wireless/remote starter. Some of the other guys were concerned about wireless frequencies and other electronics and devices they have in their cars.
Also,for the wind noise, you might want to try the other backing plate that comes with the camera. That might hekp cut down on the noise.
R\
Scott
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott I'll give him a call. Hows the weather up north? you must be ready to get some laps in by now...?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey you guys, give us a link to some youtube vids you have made using the gopro on your cars. I would love to see them.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM
SWK6Cup

Carey:
Weather up North here is getting nice. This year, first time ever, I opted out of the "early" Lime Rock days, cuz the weather is just hit or miss. I've had great days, sunshine, warm, but the ones I remember most are the cold, rainly, raw, crappy days you can get in the Northeast in early April. I am getting ready, tho...the car goes in for brake fluid change and clutch fluid and gear oil change on Wednesday. I am headed to New Jersey for my first event at the Lightning track end of this minth, Very excited. See family and first real long tow...so quite a few firsts coming up. Then back to the Glen in May and I am planning a trip to Montreal in August, most of the details are done (i.e., event registrations and accommodations- just need to finalize some activities for my wife).

Huridurgiman:
Metro NY PCA is the sponsor of the upcoming event and they are offering (and I have signed-up for it) a gentleman (Morgan Reese) who is going to temporarily put in a traqmate for data aquisition and vidoe overlay, with an upload to U-tube. It will be the first time I have bothered with posting video but the data should be great and help me to learn a bit more about my driving. I might decide to post some of my own video too, although, for me, it is a self teaching/learning tool that I review...not so much for everybody else to see. Who knows, maye once I take the "training wheels" off my car, I might want to show the whole world????? lol.

The season is upon us! Whooooohooooooo
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Scott-

My DE season starts in 2 weeks. I'm giddy. Instead of the GoPro I'm going to try Harry's Lap Timer with my iphone / tomtom gps windshield mount and a wifi OBD2 for getting telemetry. All for under $300. Always wanted a GoPro though......very versatile. The idea of a remote on/off is a good one.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Pete there is a great thread in the 997 GT3 forum about Harry's timer. Give it a look. I use it as well but for some reason I get inconsistent lap times. I don't have a cradle for it yet. I think it needs to be activated on the racing line to be truly accurate. A lot of guys have written good reviews. Can't beat the price either.

Hurdigurdiman, I have a couple short vids i can upload Monday. The 30 minute sessions I recorded create files that are too large. They need to be edited before uploading to YouTube... This is exactly why a remote would be helpful.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Carey.....I have seen that thread and others. Amazing what the iphone and a app can do. Good bang for the buck.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM
SWK6Cup

Pete:
I hear ya on the giddy thing!. I am pretty much prepped and waiting. Stood in the garage for an hour today, smoking a cigar and just looking, dreaming and thinking...... the new Michelin Super Sports go on Wednesday!!!!! I'll save the SUMI's for autocross. later this summer.

I have seen a lot of talk in here about Harry Lap Timer....(V15 was just released), might have to check it out however, a while ago one of my track friends turned me on to Cantrell Motor Sports Laptimer (CMS Laptimer) from the Itunes App store. I have the free version and there is a pay for one, too. I like the CMS timer (don't have anything to compare it to, tho). I bought a $6 phone cradle at Walmart and mounted it on the right side of the cubby above the heated seat buttons. For the most part, works great with lap times, best lap times and sessions all recorded via GPS. Maybe I will try to inegrate video, but I am not to electronically inclined (except I was proud of my stealth install for the remote cable). I think I am headed toward a traqmate set-up when one of the guys in GT3(RS) class decides to do an upgrade and sell their system, inexpensviely. I read alot about MoTEc/AIM and smarty cams, too. All ya need is a lot of money.
Anywho, enjoy your season, I hope it is a great one! I simply can't wait to get started.

To Carey, Pete and Hurdigurdiman:
I would love to meet up with y'all at the track one of these days and enjoy some track time together. Pete maybe Watkins Glen (midway?) Carey, not so sure when I am going to make it to Fklorida, although, VIR is next up on the must drive bucket list. Who knows, maybe we could catch up? Pete, you ever driven VIR? (its about 10 hours tow for me). Carey, you ever come midway up north once the humidity and bugs get too bad in Miami?
R\
Scott

Last edited by SWK6Cup; 04-15-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

I really like the Pilot SS. I used 3 sets of Sumi's in 3 years and had fun with those. Got to the point where steering with my throttle inputs became kinda natural. With the grippy Pilots I can carry alot more speed into the corner. I felt like a rock star.....didn't dare tell anyone it was the tires.

The Glen is a 10-11 hour drive for me and have not been to VIR but hear all good things about it. VIR would be a 10 hour drive for me too. Maybe.......?

I have a 1.8 mile track 30 minutes away. Not as storied as the Glen but definitely has a few "pucker" spots. Be safe out there and have some fun!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

I'm in for VIR this summer. Hell, I could hit road Atlanta or Roebling Road on the way up or back as well. That's probably as far as I would go. Barber is on my list as well. So many tracks in our beautiful country. Tough to take time off though...

Im still frustrated that Michelin hasnt made super sports in 295/30s. That would be the perfect tire for a road trip/track tour. I've been through a couple sets of Nitto nt-01s. Superb tire but not confidence inspiring in the wet.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
SWK6Cup

Carey:
I was looking at Club Registration.net. There is a VIR event in November, right b4 Thanksgiving. I have put it on my radar screen, not sure if I am going to be able to make it (let alone possible weather/snow issues), we'll see. Let's keep it in mind. Pete, could you be up for a long drive to a storied track like VIR? Meet in the middle??????
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Here is a video my friend edited of him and I at Homestead a few weeks back. The video spliced a few sessions together. He was chasing of course.

http://youtu.be/Sk43P3HG0q4

Last edited by Hardback; 04-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM
macsoft
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoPro Remote

You can get a cheap remote for your GoPro here: http://goremote.bymac.org
video here:

Quick Reply: Go Pro Hd remote cable w/start button