Sponsored by:

IMS & Intake Lifter - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM
RickC44
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS & Intake Lifter - HELP!!!

I'm new to the world of Porsche. About 6 weeks ago after a lot of research I bought a 2002 Porsche 911 as is. I drove the car every day for well over a month and it ran beautifully. I started noticing a tiny little oil spot in my garage and suspected the dreaded IMS problem. I took the car into a local Indy for a top down service / diagnosis. When I took the car in it was running perfectly.

They did diagnose the very beginnings of an IMS problem due to some shavings found in the filter. While they were removing the transmission, they suggested replacing the clutch which did have some wear but was operating perfectly. Again, not a necessary repair at all but I authorized proceeding.

They called me today stating they put everything back together but now the car isn’t firing well which was not at all a problem that was occurring before bringing it in nor was it a problem they diagnosed during their extensive service. Since they made the major IMS repair they have not been able to get the car to run correctly which, again, was not a problem going in and was never a problem in any of their diagnosis. They have told me this new issue is replacement of the intake lifeter on 1 bank and they want another $3600. I am thinking I'm getting a snow job and this newest problem, which didn't exist before, should be there's to resolve. Any opinions from the group? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the year and mileage of this car you say you have.
Has the un-named shop done a lot of IMS replacements?

I think they screwed up your cam timing
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the drop of oil was from the RMS not IMS. Good luck.

Originally Posted by RickC44
I'm new to the world of Porsche. About 6 weeks ago after a lot of research I bought a 2002 Porsche 911 as is. I drove the car every day for well over a month and it ran beautifully. I started noticing a tiny little oil spot in my garage and suspected the dreaded IMS problem. I took the car into a local Indy for a top down service / diagnosis. When I took the car in it was running perfectly.

They did diagnose the very beginnings of an IMS problem due to some shavings found in the filter. While they were removing the transmission, they suggested replacing the clutch which did have some wear but was operating perfectly. Again, not a necessary repair at all but I authorized proceeding.

They called me today stating they put everything back together but now the car isn’t firing well which was not at all a problem that was occurring before bringing it in nor was it a problem they diagnosed during their extensive service. Since they made the major IMS repair they have not been able to get the car to run correctly which, again, was not a problem going in and was never a problem in any of their diagnosis. They have told me this new issue is replacement of the intake lifeter on 1 bank and they want another $3600. I am thinking I'm getting a snow job and this newest problem, which didn't exist before, should be there's to resolve. Any opinions from the group? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
RickC44
6th Gear

It's a 2002 C4 with 67k miles. They have done many IMS replacements. They claim they drained the oil to do the IMS and after putting everything back together it's now showing the intake lifter issue. They did a number of tests showing everything else was fine (timing, compressions, etc). They told me they believe a metal shaving could be clogging it. Does this sound legit?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
IMO, the drop of oil was from the RMS not IMS. Good luck.
Speculation like this is not helpful.

The question is how did the lifter go bad. Is that something that could be damaged during an IMS replacement bearing? Is this a common problem (not one I've heard of...)?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 PM
speed rII
Pro

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I think they screwed up your cam timing
+1
Old 04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have guessed the timing got screwed up as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM
RickC44
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dotframe
I would have guessed the timing got screwed up as well.
They said they thought the same thing but they tested the timing and it tested right on. The claim is the lifter was weak and when the oil was drained to do the IMS job it would not re-fill.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Having just replaced a stuck lifter on my car, it does not sound like you have the same problem (I had misfires and occasional rough idle, car would run fine in between).
If it's rough through all regimes and hard to start, I would also expect timing.

Best of luck
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have them hook it up to the Duramteric to show you the timing is correct.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only question I saw was 'any opinions from the group?' I gave my opinion. A drip of oil for the longest has been mostly related to rms not ims . My point is nothing was probably wrong with the IMS in the first place and the Indy probably changed the RMS while working on the clutch.

Originally Posted by rpm's S2

The question is how did the lifter go bad. Is that something that could be dama
ged during an IMS replacement bearing? Is this a common problem (not one I've heard of...)?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the Check Engine Light on ? If so what codes ?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2

The question is how did the lifter go bad. Is that something that could be damaged during an IMS replacement bearing? Is this a common problem (not one I've heard of...)?
Lifters do get clogged with dirt but not overnight from a oil change. OP authorized the shop to replace IMS bearing & clutch & should not pay until that service is completed. (car should be running as well or better as it did when brought in) Do not consider any additional repairs until the 1st is completed. Go to the shop to verify cam timing is set properly & listen to the bad lifter.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
RickC44
6th Gear

Check engine light was NOT on when I brought the car in. Not sure if it came on after they completed ims and clutch work. They're going in to see what caused lifter problem. If on them they will repair at no charge. If not it will be on me.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Its not uncommon to have more than one issue occurring.. Remember that if any material makes it past the oil filter from a failing IMS bearing that it will go directly to the lifters then clog them.

But get a second opinion~

Quick Reply: IMS & Intake Lifter - HELP!!!