996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche coolant, why?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing that I discovered was that you really do not want to put any WaterWetter in Porsche coolant. It creates a brown sludge at the meniscus in expansion tank that looks really cruddy (and moreover can look like intermix).
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

If you are just "Topping off" go buy some distilled H2O and add that.

I'm a big fan of the Zerex G-05 and it is what I recommend to others.

I do have to say, I'm impressed with Rob and his abilities now that he is doing his own work, well done Riad.

/ no I can't edit this.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...070_0295649848
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My head now hurts....but Hey, I am off to Portugal and Spain for two weeks. See ya suckers. I will leave you all to debating the finer ingredients and freezing and boiling properties of our P-Car Coolant.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
No no no not the evil cruel desk jockeys making us do things!
If you are referring to me, I'm not making or seeking to make anyone to do anything.

I simply offer the advice that when it comes to vital fluid for these cars, to stay with what Porsche recommends/approves.

It is all the wanna be Porsche experts that claim any vital fluid, apparently based on no more than it is *not* approved by Porsche, is superior to any Porsche approved fluids.

And to back it up the people making these recommendations have inches and seconds of testing compared the millions of miles and scores of years of testing Porsche has.

And then they do not of course even back up their advice or recommendations by offering any kind of warranty. It is the advice and recomendation on top of faith and it is faith all the way down.

So, given all of the above, I say stick with the fluids that at least Porsche stands behind for in some cases 8 years and up to 100K miles. Why would anyone want to offer his car up as a guinea pig/test vehicle to qualify in some very limited and rather useless fashion some other brand/type or blend of vital fluids is beyond me.

I recall some years ago Ford produced a vehicle with a manual transmission and the fluid recommended was ATF. This after previous manual 5-speed transmissions came with good old 75w-90 gear oil.

After some time of course the what fluid should I use in my tranny questions came up and of course the 'advice' from the experts was to drain that crummy old ATF out and replace it with 75w-90 gear oil like God intended a manual transmission should have.

Some believed that the only reason for ATF was to reduce the fluid friction to improve gas mileage at the expense of long/trouble free service life, although at that time there were zero or near zero (just the number one would expectf from problems that a new car warranty is intended to cover) tranny failures.

The ATF was there for a good reason. Seems the new transmission had needle bearings in various places that were not well served by that heavier gear oil. Uh oh.

Thank goodness I had the common sense to stick with Ford's transmission fluid recommendation. Oh, 120K plus miles later the tranny with Ford brand ATF in it the whole time -- albeit changed at least once -- was just fine when I sold the car on a few months prior to buying my Boxster.

I see no reason to stray off the reservation 16 years later with any of my Porsches and their vital fluids because I believe Porsche knows as much (at least) about vital fluids for its cars as Ford did back then.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

This ^^^
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Macster gives some of the best advice on these boards - but many of us are still looking to save a $ by using non Porsche parts - filters, belts, brake pads, rotors, tires - and yes even coolant & ATF.

Porsche sources all these parts from third parties - and I would still argue that a German OE supplier that states they supply Porsche & their product is suitable for Porsche - is OK with me. I would not put in generic Prestone. If you want to go the most conservative route - sure go to the dealer - but I am happy with Mann filters, Continental Belts, Sumitomo Tires, Pentosin fluids, Lubri-Moly etc. I bought a 911 @ 25% of the cost of a new one - I also want to be able to service it at 25% of the cost of a new one !
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Rob, I can tell you from experiance that US coolants break down the euro plastic. After seeing this for myself and fixing my 996 I started to use pantosin. (sp?) yes expensive as hell. But it is also meant to last the lifetime of the car. I have a special drain pan that I use if I ever have to remove it as I did to fix the water pump.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Interestingly, I just purchase 2 Gallons of P car coolant at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. The parts department guy asked me, "are you just toping off", I said, "no I'm considering changing my water pump". He said, "ok because we also have a "top off" brand we use that is equivalent that we sell by the pint". I was speachless.
They did not offer to top up the coolant for you gratis? Even a Honda dealer would do that...I guess this is why we refer to them as stealerships.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
If you are referring to me, I'm not making or seeking to make anyone to do anything.

I simply offer the advice that when it comes to vital fluid for these cars, to stay with what Porsche recommends/approves.

It is all the wanna be Porsche experts that claim any vital fluid, apparently based on no more than it is *not* approved by Porsche, is superior to any Porsche approved fluids.

And to back it up the people making these recommendations have inches and seconds of testing compared the millions of miles and scores of years of testing Porsche has.

And then they do not of course even back up their advice or recommendations by offering any kind of warranty. It is the advice and recomendation on top of faith and it is faith all the way down.

So, given all of the above, I say stick with the fluids that at least Porsche stands behind for in some cases 8 years and up to 100K miles. Why would anyone want to offer his car up as a guinea pig/test vehicle to qualify in some very limited and rather useless fashion some other brand/type or blend of vital fluids is beyond me.

I recall some years ago Ford produced a vehicle with a manual transmission and the fluid recommended was ATF. This after previous manual 5-speed transmissions came with good old 75w-90 gear oil.

After some time of course the what fluid should I use in my tranny questions came up and of course the 'advice' from the experts was to drain that crummy old ATF out and replace it with 75w-90 gear oil like God intended a manual transmission should have.

Some believed that the only reason for ATF was to reduce the fluid friction to improve gas mileage at the expense of long/trouble free service life, although at that time there were zero or near zero (just the number one would expectf from problems that a new car warranty is intended to cover) tranny failures.

The ATF was there for a good reason. Seems the new transmission had needle bearings in various places that were not well served by that heavier gear oil. Uh oh.

Thank goodness I had the common sense to stick with Ford's transmission fluid recommendation. Oh, 120K plus miles later the tranny with Ford brand ATF in it the whole time -- albeit changed at least once -- was just fine when I sold the car on a few months prior to buying my Boxster.

I see no reason to stray off the reservation 16 years later with any of my Porsches and their vital fluids because I believe Porsche knows as much (at least) about vital fluids for its cars as Ford did back then.

Sincerely,

Macster.
NICE!!! Can I have your permission to copy and paste this in the next oil thread?

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned the potential problem of non-OEM coolants damaging the plastic water pump impellers. I am not saying that I endorse this opinion but it certainly is a theory bandied about by our resident fear monger.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by targa996
Macster gives some of the best advice on these boards - but many of us are still looking to save a $ by using non Porsche parts - filters, belts, brake pads, rotors, tires - and yes even coolant & ATF.

Porsche sources all these parts from third parties - and I would still argue that a German OE supplier that states they supply Porsche & their product is suitable for Porsche - is OK with me. I would not put in generic Prestone. If you want to go the most conservative route - sure go to the dealer - but I am happy with Mann filters, Continental Belts, Sumitomo Tires, Pentosin fluids, Lubri-Moly etc. I bought a 911 @ 25% of the cost of a new one - I also want to be able to service it at 25% of the cost of a new one !
Ditto that. When you really come down to it, the cost of Porsche brand coolant is peanuts. After all is said, few of us ever flush our systems at periodic intervals and few of us ever need much coolant, no matter what the brand. Just use the P-car stuff and you don't have to waste your time on these boards looking to see if you screwed up!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Do you have to mix the Porsche coolant with distilled water or does it come already mixed?

If the coolant is not already mixed with water then the high price seems a little more reasonable as you'll be adding 50%(depending on how cold it is where you live) distilled water, which is extremely cheap.

Oh, and if it's not already mixed, what brand of distilled water does Porsche recommend?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Do you have to mix the Porsche coolant with distilled water or does it come already mixed?

If the coolant is not already mixed with water then the high price seems a little more reasonable as you'll be adding 50%(depending on how cold it is where you live) distilled water, which is extremely cheap.

Oh, and if it's not already mixed, what brand of distilled water does Porsche recommend?
Apparently toilet water will do:
http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Wa...many/index.asp

Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Porsche is one of, if not the most profitable car companies in the world (% wise). Do you think this has something to do with their markups? I do. I flushed my system and use a good quality coolant designed for aluminum engines. $30 for a gallon of coolant is just crazy.

Many insist on buying parts with Porsche stamped on the box when you can get the exact same part from the same manufacturer for much less. Remember that Porsche sources most of these parts and fluids from other manufacturers.

Last edited by Dharn55; 04-16-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

You need to mix it 50:50 with distilled water.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche coolant, why?