Sponsored by:

Porsche coolant, why?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Porsche coolant, why?

I know you're supposed to use Porsche coolant and mix it 50/50 with deionized water, but can anyone tell me why?

What is so different about that antifreeze versus say Prestone or other over the counter coolants?

Thanks!
Rob
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I believe mixing coolant can cause gelling. If you flush the old Porsche coolant out completely, then it should be a non issue. This means that you have to flush the system more than once. Its an extra labor cost versus extra dollars charged for Porsche coolant formula in addition to taking on the risk of gelling and then trying to clean that crap out..
Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I found this article which does a great job of explaining:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/C...ntifreeze.html

You don't *need* the Porsche stuff but you need to make sure you're using OAT Extended Life. These would all work:
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Riad:
galavanter (07-07-2023), mrdeezy (10-10-2019)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts

General rule of thumb - if you car has pink coolant, only add pink. If your car has orange only add orange etc...

Sure there are universal coolants out there, better safe then sorry.

I thought the Porsche brand coolant was just Pentosin G12 (same as the VW labelled stuff). Much cheaper without the Porsche logo:
Amazon Amazon

Personally I use Mercedes coolant in all of my cars, including the 355 - which is also known as Zerex G-05. None of my cars came with pink stuff from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
markgt (05-15-2021)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

You should never mix coolants, but if you replacing the coolant completely you can use any of the brands listed above.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you just need to top off, add distilled water. There are over 6 gallons of coolant mix in the car, a few ounces or even a half gallon is not going to affect the mixture dramatically.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant

Coolants have different levels of PH (acid), Silicates, Sulphates, Borates and other additives. Each manufacturer specifies a formulation suitable for the metals in the engine, rubber hoses, seals etc. - so if you mix the wrong stuff you could end up with an expensive problem. Porsche sources its coolant from someone like Pentosin and then applies a big mark-up - and then the dealer applies a big mark-up - hence the price. After a bit of research (look at the Pentosin website) you can see the OE equivalent. This is safe to mix. I found a local auto shop here that carries it - at less than 1/2 the price of the Porsche dealer. There is also a VW/Audi equivalent (also made by Pentosin) that some on this board have used- but you need to be careful you get G12 (TL744) - so I would go with the Pentosin SF if you want to save money.

http://www.pentosin.net/pressrelease...luid_Guide.pdf
The following users liked this post:
blacksquid (12-24-2019)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a reoccurring coolant leak for some time now. It's very minor today, but it was quite heavier last year. I live over 200 miles from the nearing Porsche dealer. They told me I could, and I did, use the Prestone coolant. That's what I added to my system as the coolant level would drop.

I've had no issues.

YMMV
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Interestingly, I just purchase 2 Gallons of P car coolant at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. The parts department guy asked me, "are you just toping off", I said, "no I'm considering changing my water pump". He said, "ok because we also have a "top off" brand we use that is equivalent that we sell by the pint". I was speachless.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Interestingly, I just purchase 2 Gallons of P car coolant at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. The parts department guy asked me, "are you just toping off", I said, "no I'm considering changing my water pump". He said, "ok because we also have a "top off" brand we use that is equivalent that we sell by the pint". I was speachless.
Why?

Porsche if nothing else is being consistent. It does not approve any other anti-freeze so having on hand smaller quantities for 'topping' up accomplishes two things.

One is one doesn't have to risk mixing incompatible anti-freezes and two one doesn't have to buy a gallon of the stuff just to top up.

'course one of the 1st things after I bought my new Boxster (back in '02) was to very quickly visit the Porsche parts department and buy a gallon of Porsche anti-freeze to have on hand just in case. So far I think I'd had to use a bit of it. Can't remember now.

The reason Porsche recommends a specific anti-freeze and this applies to other vital fluid recommendations is Porsche knows the fluid will provide the service life, the performance Porsche expects and which will agree with what servicing intervals it publishes in the owners manual.

Also, Porsche of course is on the hook -- warranty wise and reputation wise too -- that whatever fluids it recommends do their job.

Porsche is under no obligation to test/certify and try to keep up with the moving target of the various anti-freezes and just as important how they mix or do not mix.

Thus it stays with one brand or type and that's that.

I do not see any real problem using Porsche anti-freeze. It is not like the majority of owners even bother changing their car's anti-freeze at all let alone frequently enough to make the trouble of testing/certifying (so to speak) and using one's car, one's engine as a test platform, one or more other anti-freezes, worth the possible risk vs. a very small gain.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

...because they said they have a "top off" BRAND they use that is equivalent to the porsche brand. So it goes against Porsche brand being the only approved antifreeze when it comes to the Porsche Dealer selling "Top Off" amounts that are not made by Porsche.

Originally Posted by Macster
Why?

Porsche if nothing else is being consistent. It does not approve any other anti-freeze so having on hand smaller quantities for 'topping' up accomplishes two things.

One is one doesn't have to risk mixing incompatible anti-freezes and two one doesn't have to buy a gallon of the stuff just to top up.

'course one of the 1st things after I bought my new Boxster (back in '02) was to very quickly visit the Porsche parts department and buy a gallon of Porsche anti-freeze to have on hand just in case. So far I think I'd had to use a bit of it. Can't remember now.

The reason Porsche recommends a specific anti-freeze and this applies to other vital fluid recommendations is Porsche knows the fluid will provide the service life, the performance Porsche expects and which will agree with what servicing intervals it publishes in the owners manual.

Also, Porsche of course is on the hook -- warranty wise and reputation wise too -- that whatever fluids it recommends do their job.

Porsche is under no obligation to test/certify and try to keep up with the moving target of the various anti-freezes and just as important how they mix or do not mix.

Thus it stays with one brand or type and that's that.

I do not see any real problem using Porsche anti-freeze. It is not like the majority of owners even bother changing their car's anti-freeze at all let alone frequently enough to make the trouble of testing/certifying (so to speak) and using one's car, one's engine as a test platform, one or more other anti-freezes, worth the possible risk vs. a very small gain.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Pac996
Drifting

No no no not the evil cruel desk jockeys making us do things!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

You can mix the Porsche pink with the Porsche yellow.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
...because they said they have a "top off" BRAND they use that is equivalent to the porsche brand. So it goes against Porsche brand being the only approved antifreeze when it comes to the Porsche Dealer selling "Top Off" amounts that are not made by Porsche.
Sorry. My reading comprehension needs improvement.

I wonder if it is really compatible or just something this dealer is doing to reduce the complaints about high parts/supply prices?

My plan is to stick with genuine Porsche anti-freeze in the gallon jug.

I have had to change or refresh the coolant in my Boxster now several times: busted radiator; water pump replaced; coolant tank replaced; and I just let the techs use the Porsche fluid. After nearly 254K miles the cooling system, the oil/water cooler, the heater core, the original radiator, and the hoses, are all working just fine. And I have no fear of any gelling or other incompatibilities arising from mixing the wrong anti-freezes.

The Turbo has had one coolant drain/refill (arising from a busted radiator from impacting a stinkin' mule deer) and Porsche anti-freeze was used.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche coolant, why?